Great Night Out At Tokyo Joe's, Suk Soi 26

Just wanted to say... had a great night out over the weekend for dinner, drinks and music at Tokyo Joe's blues music venue on Suk Soi 26, opposite the Tara Hotel... near Phrom Phong BTS...

It was my first visit there, and I was pleased and impressed for a couple reasons...

1. They have one of the strangest, most eclectic dinner menus I've seen in BKK yet... a mix of western, Thai, Japanese, Tex-Mex...and maybe some other I've forgetting... food. The TGF had a Japanese beef and rice bowl, which I tasted to be pretty good. And I had an order of chicken fajitas that was very acceptable for BKK. Interestingly, for some reason in an odd twist, the Japanese menu items there tend to run about half the price (160 baht) of many of the western choices (at closer to 300 baht). I noticed there also have been past TV posts about the quality of their beef and steaks there...

2. Caught the Saturday night lineup of music, which included the Soi Dog Blues Band (which performs there Fri and Sat nights), and they were SMOKIN'!!!!!! (And I don't mean cigarettes!!!). Great blues music, ranging from Hendrix to Pink Floyd to others. And the Thai lead guitarist was great... along with the band leader/vocalist Jeff (?).... They advertise having live music every night, with other performers on other nights. The sound quality and system also were good, just loud enough to enjoy...but not so loud as to split your ears or make talking impossible. And.. NO hip hop!!!!!

3. The venue itself was comfortable and pleasant, and the Thai serving staff were very good and attentive. Although they have a couple floors, the downstairs area where the bands play is actually pretty small...with only about a half dozen 4-person tables, a long bar with about 10 chairs, and a counter just in front of the band. So no matter where you sit downstairs, it's close and intimate.

For drinks, they're pretty reasonably priced, and have Asahi and Guinness on tap, as well as liter or half liter pitchers of margaritas... as well as hot or cold sake and bunches of other choices. But..somewhat to my surprise, as the evening got later, the place began emptying out as the band was getting hotter. By the time they finished playing a bit before 1 a.m. on Sat night/Sun morning, there were only a couple tables still occupied, including ours. We stayed to the last song!

For good food and drinks, great live music, and a pleasant, no hassle experience, Tokyo Joe's is a good choice... I'm looking forward to going back for another visit soon!!!