Thanks For The Guilt Trip!

garro

I posted yesterday about how my wife wanted to practice driving around the local area without a licence and insurance. I also posted that I quite fancied having a practice myself before my test.My reasoning being that there is hardly any traffice where we live. Understandbly I received a torrent of abuse, and by the time the thread was closed I felt like I'd admitted to a kiddy fiddling.

Well the upshot is that I felt very guilty but my school gave me a few hours off to get my licence and insurance. It was actually incredibly easy.They had no interest in my ability to drive. So I'm now legit, and I suppose in a way I owe those who were very critical a thank-you. My Wife is still not legit yet, but she is happy to be driven for a while.

You did the right thing garro.

Yep, agreed 100%, major kudos :o:D

Actually something I was thinking about was the situation with learner drivers. Since there does not appear to be a 'provisional' or 'learners permit' I'm assuming that you can just jump in a vehicle and drive it (accompanied by a licence holder I suppose) or are you not actually allowed on the road until you've passed the (totally pointless) test?

You did the right thing garro.

Yep, agreed 100%, major kudos :o:D

Actually something I was thinking about was the situation with learner drivers. Since there does not appear to be a 'provisional' or 'learners permit' I'm assuming that you can just jump in a vehicle and drive it (accompanied by a licence holder I suppose) or are you not actually allowed on the road until you've passed the (totally pointless) test?

Sorry for being a bit sharp with you yesterday crossy.

^ I think the idea was to make as much money off of the continual test failures until the person passed when it was orginally created. When I took my first motorcycle test way back it was on paper and the test checker had a red pen taped to a blue pen so he could correct my mistakes so I passed.

I took the car test last fall. I remember one question was something like..

Which is not allowed on city streets?

a. A tank

b. A race car (It may have been 'Indy 500 car'!)

c. A car with no tailights.

d. A broken car ( I can't remember the last one but it was something like the others)

I didn't know what to pick. Does anyone remember the above question?

I also noticed a load of English spelling/grammar mistakes on the computer test.

Yes , now don't forget that piece of paper magically transforms you into a better driver !!

Normally any id will cover you for a licence, I was using a using a dutch residencey card for a while. I now just use a International Drivers ID which I bought on the Internet which i have also used in the US.

As a rule, worldwide, traffic cops are not the brightest buttons.

Yes , now don't forget that piece of paper magically transforms you into a better driver !!

Normally any id will cover you for a licence, I was using a using a dutch residencey card for a while. I now just use a International Drivers ID which I bought on the Internet which i have also used in the US.

As a rule, worldwide, traffic cops are not the brightest buttons.

You may have missed the original thread which mainly concentrated on the wisdom (or lack of it) of driving with no INSURANCE, this was generally noted as being a bad idea.

Whilst what you say is largely true, the fact that you have no proper licence is a good excuse for your insurance to refuse to cough up when you have a shunt. My insurance has a clause saying all drivers must have a 'proper' (according to them that means Thai or a real IDP) licence, no worries I have a 5 year Thai licence.

Do note that those internet IDs are not legal in Thailand and (according to a news item last year sometime) the cops (in Phuket at least) have been trained to recognise them as such and hand out the relevant fines :o

Congratulations. I waited until I had an accident to get my license (fortunately, I had insurance)!

An acquaintance of mine had a small accident at low speed with a motorcyclist several years ago. The cyclist pottered off apparently none the worse for wear and promptly collapsed 2 hours later with internal injuries from the handlebar.

2 operations and 3 transfusions later, the bill was over 250k because the insurance refused to pay because he did not have a thai license.

Getting a license here is easy....I simply showed them my US driver's license and took a quick color blind test. The lady basically pointed to a chart and I just told her what color it was. An hour later, I had a one year Thai license. I now have the five year one. No computer test and no driving test. Perhaps they're more strict in the downtown areas....I took mine out in the boonies near Chachoengsao at a place surrounded by rice fields.

Getting a license here is easy....I simply showed them my US driver's license and took a quick color blind test. The lady basically pointed to a chart and I just told her what color it was. An hour later, I had a one year Thai license. I now have the five year one. No computer test and no driving test. Perhaps they're more strict in the downtown areas....I took mine out in the boonies near Chachoengsao at a place surrounded by rice fields.

I got mine at Mo Chit, just presented my UK license, plus WP and medical certificate and it was pretty plain sailing. A quick eye test, reaction test, and that was it. Piece of cake.

No, it's the same everywhere. But without the recognised DL you will have to do the test. Seems to be OK for US and UK licenses, but a friend of a friend went along to Pattaya with his French DL, and was told they did not recognise the license, so he had to do the full test.

Maybe they just don't like the French :o

You only have to do the test if you cannot show a valid international licence.

Actually at MoChit (and possibly other offices) a valid UK, Oz or US licence (plus maybe other EU) will get you off the test even without an IDP :o

Mate got a Thai licence based on his very ratty old green UK licence (held together with tape and ironed specially for the day).