Clarification On Tourist Visas

I'm a 45 year old guy from Uk. I want to plan a trip to Thailand and a couple of surrounding countries (Cambodia, Malaysia) in November and want to avoid the UK winter so stay travelling for at least 5 months. After searching some websites I believe I would not qualify for the Non immigrant 90 day visa in any shape or form, because I have no ties or business in Thailand.

So the next type of visa seems to be a tourist 60 days validity hat I have to apply for in the UK beforehand. I am told that this can be single/double (X2) or triple entry, each entry costing me an extra £28.

So is this type of visa allowing me for instance to go to Malaysia after 20 days in Thailand stay for a week or two, then return to Thailand and have one of my entries crossed off but have used up a week or two of my 60 days of the Thai visa? I Know I have to return before the use-by date stamp in any case.

When the 60 days are nearly up I believe I can apply for a 30 day extention of this visa or do a border run. If I do a border run, i.e, leave the Thailand on or before the 60th day or 90th if I get the extention and come back in the same day, do I get another 60 days stamp and have a more than one entry option if I need it or is that not correct. My main concern is to be able to leave and return to Thailand but not loose my 60 days validity stamp and have to take the "on arrival" 30 day visa.

Can someone please confirm whether I have got this right and if it's true I can take time out of Thailand during my trip without loosing visa validity. :o

Each entry is a new visa entry - there is no keep time unless you buy a re-entry permit before departure - that will allow you to return and be stamped with the same permitted to stay date you originally had.

But at this time you can obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Hull so if that is available it would suit your needs much better and each (unlimited number) entry gets a new 90 day stamp.

Each entry is a new visa entry - there is no keep time unless you buy a re-entry permit before departure - that will allow you to return and be stamped with the same permitted to stay date you originally had.

So this re-entry permit is the the double or treble option part of the 60 day visa as an extra? I'm still not clear, can I get another multi entry visa stamp after my border visit so I can leave Thailand again in the next 60 day duration without penalty?

A re-entry permit is something you buy in Thailand at 1,000 baht each. A visa only allows one entry (they is why they sell two or three for people returning after a visit elsewhere). If you want to stay in Thailand you have 60 days that can be extended for another 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht. Your 2 or 3 entry would allow you to do 2 or 3 times.

To obtain another tourist visa would require visit to a Consulate in another country. But you are allowed up to 90 days on visa exempt entry during a six month period so you could use those for entry.

But as long as a non immigrant O visa available from Hull I would take advantage of that if you plan a lot of travel.

A re-entry permit is something you buy in Thailand at 1,000 baht each. A visa only allows one entry (they is why they sell two or three for people returning after a visit elsewhere). If you want to stay in Thailand you have 60 days that can be extended for another 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht. Your 2 or 3 entry would allow you to do 2 or 3 times.

To obtain another tourist visa would require visit to a Consulate in another country. But you are allowed up to 90 days on visa exempt entry during a six month period so you could use those for entry.

But as long as a non immigrant O visa available from Hull I would take advantage of that if you plan a lot of travel.

Ok, so if I went for the 60 day visa option and I wanted to do the border run twice to obtain an extra 60 days each time I would initially have to purchase a triple entry is that correct?

I have not heard of the re-entry permit but you say this can be bought in Thailand. Where do you buy this permit, how long does it take to get and how long does it normaly last? This is very usefull as it looks like I could need one or two during my trip.

What is the criteria that has to be met before you can apply for the non immigrant O visa? I thought you had to have a certain reason to request one i.e. relatives there or be over 50 years old or money in a Thai bank (which for that I thought you had to have an address there to have) and it was not allways certain the consulate will give you one without checks.

Based on reports in this forum most honorary consulates in the UK will give you a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting friends in Thailand (no names or other details of friends required). Hull and Birmingham have been mentioned as absolute certainties. Application can be made by mail. Visit their websites for full information and to download the visa application form. For additional information, give the consulate of your choice a call.

--

Maestro

Ok, so if I went for the 60 day visa option and I wanted to do the border run twice to obtain an extra 60 days each time I would initially have to purchase a triple entry is that correct?

Correct.

I have not heard of the re-entry permit but you say this can be bought in Thailand. Where do you buy this permit, how long does it take to get and how long does it normaly last?

Any Immigration office - it is valid until your current permitted to stay date (stamp you obtained on entry). And allows you to return until that same permitted to stay date.

Lop... is it our understanding that the Hull Multi-Os are available to anyone applying from/staying in Britain (including tourists), or only to British citizens/passport holders????

I'm always reading here about various people having problems with getting/keeping suitable visas... and getting turned down at various countries around Thailand/Asia.

So, if someone is a non-British citizen, and they can afford a trip to and brief stay there in Britain, would they more than likely be able to obtain such a visa...

That's a pretty simple move, if do-able, considering that it would get you an up to 15 month stay here...

Having read the replies here I now understand a good deal more of the visa system, I appreciate the answers and give thanks to all who have posted.

I might just go ahead and apply for the type O, 1 year. As i live close to Birmingham would it be more beneficial and quicker to go in person or fill in by mail and send to Hull?

If I was refused the non immigrant type O (as I have read on other sites this does does happen) would I be sent the tourist 60 day version instead or would they return the form allowing me to apply for the double/triple entry option?

...I might just go ahead and apply for the type O, 1 year. As i live close to Birmingham would it be more beneficial and quicker to go in person or fill in by mail and send to Hull?

According to a recent post (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1962266) you can get the non-O visa in Birmingham while you wait. You save the postage for sending your passport to Hull and back.

--

Maestro