Xp Sp3

grtaylor

XP SP3 doesn't offer any new functionality for the typical home user. It does have some level of new functionality in domain environments (like the NAP client).

Have upgraded a few XP machines, all of them without any trouble. Did not notice any performance gain.

Upgraded Win XP/SP2 to XP3 yesterday on one computer. Didn't notice any difference except maybe slightly slower to boot. I guess they can't make it too good, or no one will buy Vista lol

I just installed SP3 by automatic update and i have not had any problems yet.

Cheers, Rick

Same here. :o

It was only three small modules, apparently I had all the rest loaded already.

I don't automatically install updates or even download them automatically - I just let Windows Update notify me when there is something I should have. I've not had any notifications from Windows Update for several weeks, so I presume I already have everything updated.

Hi JetsetBkk,

I was not notified by windows update either, so went to the update site and it found SP3 to download. All seems to be ok with the laptop and i hope that it stays that way.

Cheers, Rick

They spread the notification around. If they notified everyone right when it was available, it would overwhelm the site.

I got a notification the other day and installed it without any problems and it is working just fine.

They spread the notification around. If they notified everyone right when it was available, it would overwhelm the site.

That makes sense - so maybe I jumped the gun by going to Windows Update and getting it. Never mind - it works. :D

installed on three machines all with legitimate versions of XP Pro

no problems

This may be the key! :o

That makes sense - so maybe I jumped the gun by going to Windows Update and getting it. Never mind - it works. :D

installed on three machines all with legitimate versions of XP Pro

no problems

This may be the key! :o

All the ones we tried are legitimate, under a Microsoft Site License.

G

The 'techies' at my school tried it on two computers and it crashed both of them . . .

Any else tried it?

Any problems?

Advantages?

I have tried it and it all seemed to go well. Loading after install slowed down. Lost all network conectivity to Broadband router no way to restore connection via Microsoft Trouble Shoot page.

Please be aware you can not uninstall service pack 3 if you have Internet explorer 7 installed so before installing remove 7 and revert back to 6. This should help you if you need to uninstall like I had to.

There are some good work rounds which maybe I can help people with.

Seems lots of people are getting this network problem. Maybe it is the router I have anyway will be getting a new router soon so see If I have the same problem.

Read all microsoft information before installing.

I have tried it and it all seemed to go well. Loading after install slowed down. Lost all network conectivity to Broadband router no way to restore connection via Microsoft Trouble Shoot page.

I have not installed SP3 on my home computer, but it also has lost all connectivity to broadband and the Microsoft Trouble Shooter has also not helped. I am using TOT and they are on the way to the house now. Hence, the issue of losing network connectivity could have nothing to do with the SP3 installation and could just be coincidental.

Please be aware you can not uninstall service pack 3 if you have Internet explorer 7 installed so before installing remove 7 and revert back to 6. This should help you if you need to uninstall like I had to.

Sorry tomo22, my experience is just different.

I had a legal XP/SP2 Professional and IE7 (Internet Explorer) installed and working. On May 8 I downloaded the SP3 file (somehow 320MB if I remember right) and installed it over everything mentioned before.

As I was not absolutely sure, if I had installed the right file, yesterday evening I de-installed SP3 again without de-installing anything before. After that I went back to my

Windows Update feature and saw my SP3 sitting there to be downloaded and re-installed.

And guess what, my lovely runs like a bee. Maybe I was just lucky?

Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview_of_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3.pdf

Whilst the Pack was released for download on 6th May, it will not be rolled out via Automatic Update until at least 10 June.

Anyone who already has their Windows XP up to date - will not achieve any more functionality from this Service Pack.

Unless you just bought a new Windows XP license which would be Service Pack 2 - then why rush to SP3 at this time?

(Microsoft will not be releasing an SP3 license installation product. If you want that - investigate slipstreaming SP3 into your SP2 license).

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Microsoft: "If your computer is running Windows XP Professional, we recommend that you create an Automated System Recovery (ASR) set before you begin the installation." http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...3.mspx?mfr=true

9 Critical Errors that Will Prevent the Installation of XP SP3: http://news.softpedia.com/news/9-Critical-...512-85266.shtml

Problem of Internet Explorer 7 and SP3

It is recommended that users uninstall IE7 first, install XPSP3, then reinstall IE7.

This allows IE7 to be uninstalled in the future without problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-se...installation-cd

I already have most of SP3 via a zillion previous updates - so rather than take a chance - I'm not playing with SP3 for now.

But that's me.

Whilst the Pack was released for download on 6th May, it will not be rolled out via Automatic Update until at least 10 June.

Anyone who already has their Windows XP up to date - will not achieve any more functionality from this Service Pack.

Unless you just bought a new Windows XP license which would be Service Pack 2 - then why rush to SP3 at this time?

(Microsoft will not be releasing an SP3 license installation product. If you want that - investigate slipstreaming SP3 into your SP2 license).

Problem of Internet Explorer 7 and SP3

It is recommended that users uninstall IE7 first, install XPSP3, then reinstall IE7.

This allows IE7 to be uninstalled in the future without problems.

I already have most of SP3 via a zillion previous updates - so rather than take a chance - I'm not playing with SP3 for now.

But that's me.

Tung_Thaid, many thanks for your great message. I do not get it and have difficulties with what Microsoft is saying and therefore, I also admit not to figure what in fact happened during the SP3 update process. My system runs as it has ever run and this without any problems at all.

I bought last year in November a legal OEM copy (1 CD) of XP/SP2 Professional in Switzerland (German Language) and put it on my new system, because a software would not run under Vista Premium. Ever since that installation I have run and installed most of the updates (in fact I selected the option where it says that I wanted to be informed about available updates).

Now you say and I read this elsewhere that SP3 will not be rolled out via Automatic Update till at least 10th of June. Why then was SP3 waiting in my Windows Update bay to be downloaded and installed and what really got installed from the 73 MB file during the process?

Regarding IE7 I was aware of un-installment would not be without problems, but IE7 works for me and a Beta8 version is in the works already. And I never look back.

Tung_Thaid, many thanks for your great message. I do not get it and have difficulties with what Microsoft is saying and therefore, I also admit not to figure what in fact happened during the SP3 update process. My system runs as it has ever run and this without any problems at all.

I bought last year in November a legal OEM copy (1 CD) of XP/SP2 Professional in Switzerland (German Language) and put it on my new system, because a software would not run under Vista Premium. Ever since that installation I have run and installed most of the updates (in fact I selected the option where it says that I wanted to be informed about available updates).

Now you say and I read this elsewhere that SP3 will not be rolled out via Automatic Update till at least 10th of June. Why then was SP3 waiting in my Windows Update bay to be downloaded and installed and what really got installed from the 73 MB file during the process?

Regarding IE7 I was aware of un-installment would not be without problems, but IE7 works for me and a Beta8 version is in the works already. And I never look back.

I dont use the Automatic Updates feature either - and don't even have the "inform me of available updates" option - and today I notice that I too have SP3 now available in Windows Update. The full download from Microsoft Downloads is 324Mb - but in my case - the Update is listed as 67Mb.

Maybe those who have chosen AUTOMATIC UPDATES will get theirs from 10 June ?

So your update of 73Mb was what your system needed. And it is working fine - so you have it under control. You can relax.

I will still do some of the suggested "before installing SP3" jobs before I allow Windows Update to do its thing for me.

post-31308-1210604400_thumb.jpg