Xp Sp3

grtaylor

I tried to install it on two machines, my works laptop (through the windows update program) and my home PC (manual download and install)

Killed them both, both required a full system rebuild (software) to get them running again...

... my recommendation - Don't do it!

I have since moved to Vista (64bit) and i'm loving it!

Ahh so M$ plan to nerf xp worked on you eh Wolvie?!!

In all seriousness this is not ready to move to windows updates yet, so isn't it still a bit too early to say?

Edited by quiksilva

I tried to install it on two machines, my works laptop (through the windows update program) and my home PC (manual download and install)

Killed them both, both required a full system rebuild (software) to get them running again...

... my recommendation - Don't do it!

I have since moved to Vista (64bit) and i'm loving it!

Wow Wolfie, Windows Service Pack is released 3 hours ago and you tried it on two computers and reinstalled a computer with Windows Vista (64) and found time to love it. Must be very fast computer... Downloading the final release of Windows XP SP3 take me 40 minutes of so, then install one SP3 on a average computer did take almost 30 minutes. Do that twice and reinstall Windows Vista.... in 3 hours ....guess you have the record

Wow Wolfie, Windows Service Pack is released 3 hours ago and you tried it on two computers and reinstalled a computer with Windows Vista (64) and found time to love it. Must be very fast computer... Downloading the final release of Windows XP SP3 take me 40 minutes of so, then install one SP3 on a average computer did take almost 30 minutes. Do that twice and reinstall Windows Vista.... in 3 hours ....guess you have the record

Nope this happened a while back, couple of weeks. Both legal (licensed) copies of windows, the works laptop i had a windows update option to install SP3 - i thought 'what the h*ll, lets give it a try' the machine reboots itself during the installation but then goes to a windows 'setup' style display and hangs... left the machine for an hour, still no movement, so rebooted manually and it wouldn't boot into windows. My home PC i downloaded the service pack (dont remember where from) and tried a manual install, similar events the installer wants to reboot the machine during the process and the pc wont boot again after.

I installed Vista64 this weekend, took me longer to download SP1 for it than it did to install the base operating system.

/Edit:

Early "editions" of SP3 started appearing around 21st April - as can be seen from this technet post

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...3&SiteID=17

Also, the most recent 'edition' of SP3 available directly from the Microsoft Download site is dated yesterday - which, based on real world timekeeping is over 3 hours ago. As can be seen here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

So thanks for the sarky a*s comments, but unnecessary IMHO. Bite me.

Edited by Wolfie

I've run it on 3 PCs so far, with no issues at all.

legitimate, and not so legitimate copies of XP.

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage is that, next time I replace my laptop hard drive, and reinstall XP from the recovery disks, installing SP2 and SP3 from my network will be a lot faster than SP2 + a few hundred megabytes of patches from Windows Update.

Been using it since it was Beta and no problems at all.

Speeds up XP by about 10% but I must say memory leakage has not improved and if you open lots of different apps. daily and do not restart daily it will slow down.

I have no intention on putting vista on any of my machines so this is a good bonus.

Reboot every day - or just Schedule a reboot at night - RUN shutdown -r -t 10

Further to my own beta testing over the last 8 months or so:

I've now installed and tested it on 16 Pc's with 2 -3 year old specs and am very happy with the performance increases.

I'm not going to bother entering into any disputes etc regarding this . There are other forums where you can CW.

My final comments are that I am very happy with the performance increases which are noticeable and are free! All PC's here are now pdates to SP3.

The Update to Service Pack 3 is not essential so if your happy with your current set up then no need to change.

-

Two thoughts spring to mind concerning SP3:

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. 10 foot barge pole.

:o

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage is that, next time I replace my laptop hard drive, and reinstall XP from the recovery disks, installing SP2 and SP3 from my network will be a lot faster than SP2 + a few hundred megabytes of patches from Windows Update.

No need to install SP2. SP3 has all updates that SP2 plus all the hotfixes.

The fastest way to do future installs of XP with SP3 is to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD.

Not having read the comments here first about not having to install it, I just installed SP3. The only noticeable problem so far is that it turned off the autoprotect on my Norton 360. With help from Symantec support that is OK now. Hopefully no more problems.

I just installed SP3 by automatic update and i have not had any problems yet.

Cheers, Rick

Same here. :o

It was only three small modules, apparently I had all the rest loaded already.

Cheers, Rick

I don't automatically install updates or even download them automatically - I just let Windows Update notify me when there is something I should have. I've not had any notifications from Windows Update for several weeks, so I presume I already have everything updated.

Cheers, Rick

I don't automatically install updates or even download them automatically - I just let Windows Update notify me when there is something I should have. I've not had any notifications from Windows Update for several weeks, so I presume I already have everything updated.

Hi JetsetBkk,

I was not notified by windows update either, so went to the update site and it found SP3 to download. All seems to be ok with the laptop and i hope that it stays that way.

Cheers, Rick

Hi JetsetBkk,

I was not notified by windows update either, so went to the update site and it found SP3 to download. All seems to be ok with the laptop and i hope that it stays that way.

Cheers, Rick

That's really odd! Curiosity got the better of me, so I went to Windows Update too and the first update they said I needed to do was to the Windows Genuine Advantage tool.

So I did that and only then did they say I had SP3 waiting for me!

So I did an image backup (:o) and did the update. It took about an hour with some downloads coming at 270 KB/s! (Not bad for a 2.5 Mb/s link.)

Fingers crossed everything still works. :D

2. 10 foot barge pole.

:D

... and did the update. It took about an hour with some downloads coming at 270 KB/s! (Not bad for a 2.5 Mb/s link.)

Fingers crossed everything still works. :o

What a difference a day makes. Where did you find that 10 foot pole? :D

Edited by Rice_King

Could have waited for the Automatic Update, but downloaded from Microsoft’s download site the on-May 7-released 320MB file of SP3 and installed it on a Notebook with a legal XP/SP2 Professional pre-installed.

No problems at all and it runs and runs and I am sure will do so until 2014 when MS will certainly have come up with something better than the current Vista.

I just installed SP3 it hung up so I forced a restart and went into Safe Mode. Once it finished loading in safe mode I restarted through there and it is fine now.

Is this what you saw, Sakeopete?

STOP: c0000139 [Entry Point Not Found] The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll

It's what I'm seeing now on my laptop (I'm using my wife's at the mo) after letting it reboot as part of the installation. So how do I get into Safe Mode, then? I know how to force a restart but this screen appears right after the boot screen. Where do I go then?

Thanks for any help! :o

I downloaded SP3 from the Microsoft site into two desktop computers.

No problem loading but both computers are now noticeably slower at start up.

Despite all the claims about stability of Windows XP my copy was grinding to a halt.

I was thinking of re-installing, then I upgraded my disk and had to re-install.

The benefit was immediately apparent.

Startup was so much faster, even when I had loaded all the applications. :o

I just installed SP3 it hung up so I forced a restart and went into Safe Mode. Once it finished loading in safe mode I restarted through there and it is fine now.

STOP: c0000139 [Entry Point Not Found] The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll

It's what I'm seeing now on my laptop (I'm using my wife's at the mo) after letting it reboot as part of the installation. So how do I get into Safe Mode, then? I know how to force a restart but this screen appears right after the boot screen. Where do I go then?

Maybe you could have a look at How to troubleshoot errors that cause an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I had exactly the same problem, refer to: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184886

You should replace your copy of GDI32.DLL in the "Windows\System32" directory with another copy in the "Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386" directory. The correct file version is: 5.1.2600.3311

Thanks for any help! :D

I had exactly the same problem, refer to: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184886

You should replace your copy of GDI32.DLL in the "Windows\System32" directory with another copy in the "Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386" directory. The correct file version is: 5.1.2600.3311

Thanks for that, Condo_bk; heartening news. But how do I get into the thing to make the changes? I've been lucky all these years it would seem as I don't know how to get into Windows when it's 'hung' like this. :o

F8 to boot from the Windows XP CD (press R to run the repair section) boot into the repair console (some patience may require), and then delete c:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll, and then copy the other gdi32.dll (from c:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386) to this directory.

2. 10 foot barge pole.

:D

... and did the update. It took about an hour with some downloads coming at 270 KB/s! (Not bad for a 2.5 Mb/s link.)

Fingers crossed everything still works. :o

What a difference a day makes. Where did you find that 10 foot pole? :D

:D It must've been a short ten feet. Maybe a Thai brand? :D

Blame bangkokrick! He made me do it!

So anyway, it does actually appear to be running faster. Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's because various caches have been cleared out and started afresh.

Only had one problem - a utility that checks the O/S version each time it runs complained that it wasn't tested against this version (SP3). So rather than wait for an updated version, I patched it tonight and it's OK now.

No need to install SP2. SP3 has all updates that SP2 plus all the hotfixes.

The fastest way to do future installs of XP with SP3 is to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD.

I'd love to do that, but it's a set of recovery disks that uses Norton Ghost to basically restore a disk snapshot to the PC. There isn't actually a set of regular XP install disks that I could slipstream.

No it just stopped while loading my desktop so after about 20 minutes I restarted it in safe mode, once it had loaded I restarted it from safe mode and all is fine. On my Dell safe mode is F8 hope that helps.

F8 to boot from the Windows XP CD (press R to run the repair section) boot into the repair console (some patience may require), and then delete c:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll, and then copy the other gdi32.dll (from c:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386) to this directory.

Ok, thanks for that, Condo_bk; I'll give it a go. :o

Thanks for any help! :D

No it just stopped while loading my desktop so after about 20 minutes I restarted it in safe mode, once it had loaded I restarted it from safe mode and all is fine. On my Dell safe mode is F8 hope that helps.

Cheers, Sakeopete. Nah, I'm not getting as far as the desktop, I'm afraid. Thanks for the info though. :D