Fertilizer

I've a small piece of land near Korat that I visit every two, three weeks and everytime I need to buy fertilizer, weed killer .... and everytime everything is more expensive, and not by a small amount, compare to last year some prices have been multiplied by up to 4 times !!!

My fist idea was to buy "large" quantity from Bangkok instead of buying small amount each time from local suppliers. Then I realized most of these products are made in China, where I work, so why not directly importing the stuff ?

But does it make sense ? Buying, checking the quality, shipping from China is not a problem. Importing to Thailand is more a problem. I heard some horror stories with the local custom but I have good relation with international forwarders and I can probably work out a solution.

Then what to import? My expertise is in trade, not agricultural chemical. When I visit my local supplier, I see so many different reference, it doesn't make sense to import a few bags of each. Can we narrow the selection on a few multi purpose products ?

To the professional reading this forum, does my idea make sense or am I just dreaming and wasting my time ?

Thanks in advance

Pierrot

I've a small piece of land near Korat that I visit every two, three weeks and everytime I need to buy fertilizer, weed killer .... and everytime everything is more expensive, and not by a small amount, compare to last year some prices have been multiplied by up to 4 times !!!

My fist idea was to buy "large" quantity from Bangkok instead of buying small amount each time from local suppliers. Then I realized most of these products are made in China, where I work, so why not directly importing the stuff ?

But does it make sense ? Buying, checking the quality, shipping from China is not a problem. Importing to Thailand is more a problem. I heard some horror stories with the local custom but I have good relation with international forwarders and I can probably work out a solution.

Then what to import? My expertise is in trade, not agricultural chemical. When I visit my local supplier, I see so many different reference, it doesn't make sense to import a few bags of each. Can we narrow the selection on a few multi purpose products ?

To the professional reading this forum, does my idea make sense or am I just dreaming and wasting my time ?

Thanks in advance

Pierrot

I think that most gernral purpose Ag fertilizers are shipped here in bulk, open hull ships. Then are bagged when they get here. I know one guy that looked into Urea, I forget but if it was 1000 or 10,000 tons that the bulk discount started.

With chemicals I think you need some special license, but I still think by the time you re-package and distribute it will not look exctiting.

Some people say that while the prices increase the middle men make bigger margine. I think in this business the middle men are the most cut throat and in this case you would be going up against the Thai Chinese middle men.

SAP

Pierrot, as you have noticed the fertilizer range is quite large, the reason is that different soils in different areas are deficient in certain elements and the different NPK percentages is to correct these imbalances.

As well ,different crops require different fertilizers at different stages of growth.

If you are only looking to source fertilizer for your own "small " block it would not be worth it.

You would need to do a soil analysis to ascertain what it requires but then when you rectify any deficiency that particular fertilizer formula would no longer be needed but some other formula may be.

Of course if you happen to find a few bags of Triple Superphosphate for less than 1000 baht a bag dont hesitate to let me know. :o

Meantime I think your better off to pay through the nose like the rest of us, (gives us something to moan about}

cheers

ozzydom.

Thank you for your answers. My future as a fertilizer importer doesn't look really bright, I may stick with my current job for the time being ... :o

Nevertheless, I won't give up so easely. I believe the recent increase are unreasonable, everybody think it's the right time to get back their lost profit and increase their margin. And actually I like the idea of going up against the Thai Chinese middle men, I deal with the real guys in China, I'm not going to be afraid by the soft local version ... :D

@ SAP : I can buy directly from the producer bagged fertilizer, 25Kg, 50kg, ... But I need to investigate the need of a special licence, does anybody have informtion regarding this point ?

@ Ozzydom : Agree that the fertilizer range is quite large, that why I wanted to focus on a few most used products, like 15-15-15. But as I said I'm not specialized in this field and I expected some advise on what to select to start with. Our advantage is we can buy "local", and arrange everything by ourself, so producers are more flexible regarding the quantity than when they have to export. And of course I won't buy only for myself, if I can find a good deal I'm sure I can find some people in my area so we can group our purchase and bring at least a mix container at a time.

Btw, is that what you're looking for ?:

TSP 46%

P2O5: 46%min

Effective P2O5: 42%min,

Soluble P2O5: 37%min,

Moisture: 4%max,

Free acid(as P2O5): 5%max,

Grain size (1-4mm): 90%min,

Granule hardness: 10%N/grain

Packing: 50kgs plastic woven bags

If I can find my way, I will add a few bags for you ... :D

Edited by Pierrot

Thank you for your answers. My future as a fertilizer importer doesn't look really bright, I may stick with my current job for the time being ... :o

Nevertheless, I won't give up so easely. I believe the recent increase are unreasonable, everybody think it's the right time to get back their lost profit and increase their margin. And actually I like the idea of going up against the Thai Chinese middle men, I deal with the real guys in China, I'm not going to be afraid by the soft local version ... :D

@ SAP : I can buy directly from the producer bagged fertilizer, 25Kg, 50kg, ... But I need to investigate the need of a special licence, does anybody have informtion regarding this point ?

@ Ozzydom : Agree that the fertilizer range is quite large, that why I wanted to focus on a few most used products, like 15-15-15. But as I said I'm not specialized in this field and I expected some advise on what to select to start with. Our advantage is we can buy "local", and arrange everything by ourself, so producers are more flexible regarding the quantity than when they have to export. And of course I won't buy only for myself, if I can find a good deal I'm sure I can find some people in my area so we can group our purchase and bring at least a mix container at a time.

Btw, is that what you're looking for ?:

TSP 46%

P2O5: 46%min

Effective P2O5: 42%min,

Soluble P2O5: 37%min,

Moisture: 4%max,

Free acid(as P2O5): 5%max,

Grain size (1-4mm): 90%min,

Granule hardness: 10%N/grain

Packing: 50kgs plastic woven bags

If I can find my way, I will add a few bags for you ... :D

Yep, thats the stuff Pierrot,There are a couple of brands but I found that Black Rabbit brand is better for our application as it is more soluble when we put it in the ponds.