Transporting Cattle

We have a smallholding just outside Lahan Sai in Buriram where we keep a few cattle. My father in law is getting on a bit and tending to them has become problematical for him. I want to move them to our much larger farm outside Lomsak in Petchabun where we have a sizeable herd. She who does the ironing says that we are likely to be 'mugged' by officials or BiB if we transport them and asked to pay 'a tax'. She insists that this is above board but I have my doubts and am prepared to face down anybody looking for tea money. Can anybody shed light on this for me please?

No tax to pay, but to avoid possible problems with the BIB you must go to the puyai bann in the village in Buriram & get a paper from him saying that these are your cows, from where you are taking them & to where. This is common / standard practice when moving livestock inter-province.

We have a smallholding just outside Lahan Sai in Buriram where we keep a few cattle. My father in law is getting on a bit and tending to them has become problematical for him. I want to move them to our much larger farm outside Lomsak in Petchabun where we have a sizeable herd. She who does the ironing says that we are likely to be 'mugged' by officials or BiB if we transport them and asked to pay 'a tax'. She insists that this is above board but I have my doubts and am prepared to face down anybody looking for tea money. Can anybody shed light on this for me please?

When I had to transport my cattle in the past, there were two issues. The lorry required registration for transport of livestock (which I didn’t have), and a certificate had to be signed by a qualified vet stating the cattle were not diseased if transporting inter-province. The “tax” is in lieu of either of these requirements. I agree with Fruity that a letter from your puyaibaan (village headman) should be obtained to prove ownership.

Rgds

Khonwan