Villa Market

R123

I recently visited this place for the first time and I was very impressed.

It compares favourably with its competitors in Pattaya. The store is well laid out, the staff pleasant and efficient and most importantly the food etc selection first rate and the prices not bad.

Seems like whoever runs it have actually given a lot of thought to what their customers want(unlike other stores) plus providing plenty of healthy items.

Well done to them and I for one will be going there much more often.

:o

I recently visited this place for the first time and I was very impressed.

It compares favourably with its competitors in Pattaya. The store is well laid out, the staff pleasant and efficient and most importantly the food etc selection first rate and the prices not bad.

Seems like whoever runs it have actually given a lot of thought to what their customers want(unlike other stores) plus providing plenty of healthy items.

Well done to them and I for one will be going there much more often.

:o

I like Villa Market a lot. I also agree, that no market has the service of Villa. I met the store manager when it first opened, and it seems like she is always there to assist me, or just to say "hi". However, don't kid yourself, Villa Market is expensive. It is best to go to Foodland, BigC or Carrefour, get your main shopping done, and then go to Villa Market and pick up those special "supplements." I think Villa's produce, deli counter and beer/wine dept.'s are top notch. The bakery, sushi and meat counters are o.k. The fish dept. is poor. Every time I go to Villa, I pick up something I haven't seen in Thailand before, whether it be sugar-free Jell-O, Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, Doritos, or a can of beef stock. As a coffee drinker, Villa is the only store that consistently carries half 'n half (Foodland has it on stock a little less than half the time).

This is a photo report I prepared when Villa Market first opened at the Avenue Pattaya last year:

Villa Market opened up on 28 September 2007 along with the Promenade. The market is by far the best in Pattaya. If you have been in a Trader Joe’s or Whole Food Market in the states, it is of that caliber. The market is open 24/7 and is well-staffed.

Along with being a great supermarket, it is very expensive. We are talking to the level of American/European prices for groceries, and, often more, if it is perishable or usually unavailable in LOS. Personally, I would only shop for those falang products that you absolutely want at this market.

In other words, if you want Kraft Mac & Cheese, or real Jell-O, and are willing to pay the same prices, and sometimes more, as back home, go for it. (For me, I had been craving real sugar-free Jell-O, as the Thai packaged gelatin desert sucks, and the sugar-free stuff is absolutely perfect diet food, i.e. filling, very few calories). The package of Jell-O was 70 baht, about twice the average retail price as in the U.S.

The deli/meat counter and bakery are great. My girlfriend loves chicken chili bologna, and Villa stocks TGM, like Tesco/Lotus. Also, the produce section is spectacular. Again, you are paying falang prices, and more, for falang products, but everything is there and looks wonderful. I brought home a box of strawberries and my TG said they were far better than the strawberries from Friendship and Foodland (also about 170 baht – jaw dropping price, or 50 baht per box, more than those two stores – at 120 baht, they are comparable to offseason U.S. strawberry prices).

S73F0354.jpg

S73F0355.jpg

the bakery at the front of the market is very inviting

S73F0377.jpg

you will be both impressed and stunned by the quantity and quality of the produce department

S73F0378.jpg

corn, any way you want it

S73F0380.jpg

the sushi counter (Topps is better)

S73F0379.jpg

the wonderful deli counter (I sampled some great kielbasa)

S73F0381.jpg

S73F0383.jpg

the butcher’s department

S73F0384.jpg

S73F0387.jpg

the seafood department (not real impressive)

S73F0386.jpg

the wine and freezer sections

S73F0385.jpg

and, as a caffeine addict, the most important thing to me, real half ‘n half (Foodland carries it, but only has it in stock about 1/2 the time I go to Foodland – like Foodland, Villa also sells Aroma brand coffee, which I find quite good).

S73F0388.jpg

I don't share your enthusiasm for Villa at all.

Some of my observations so far:

The service is way slower than at Foodland and not friendly at all. No supermarket can hold a candle to Foodland in this area.

The turnover of fresh produce is far too slow to ensure it's fresh. It's also ridiculously over priced, further ensuring a slow turnover.

There's often a descepancy between the prices marked on products and what you are charged at checkout. You've been warned! CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS.

It's very difficult (often impossible) to match prices with the products in many areas because they don't have individual items marked. In the freezer section many of the labels in the freezer are not in English so you have to guess what price matches which product. If you do want to read the price labels, make sure you bring a magnifying glass if you don't have 20/20 vision. This is ridiculous in a supermarket that caters to Foreign customers. I brought this to the attention of some staff last time I was there, only to be met (of course) with blank stares of puzzlement.

On a number of occasions I've had to ask a staff member for a price on a certain item. I usually give up and pass on the item because the staff walking around there just don't have a clue.

Many dairy products are close to expiry date (some over) because of the slow turnover.

They keep barbecued chickens and rare roast beef on display OUT OF THE REFRIGERATOR.

The sushi is so overpriced it's a joke.

etc

etc

etc

I don't share your enthusiasm for Foodland at all.

Some of my observations: Their produce department is atrocious. They often don't carry basic staples like onions, lettuce and tomatoes. Their fruit, for the most part, is tasteless. Their butcher service employees are discourteous and often serve Thais, out of order, before falang customers. Their beverage department is sorely lacking and their dairy shelves are worse.

Despite all of this, I split my routine shopping between Tesco/Lotus, BigC and Foodland. Foodland carries a good frozen meat selection, a few Mexican specialties and Aroma coffee. As I said above, I shop at Villa to pick up the items I can't pick up elsewhere, and that is almost always 1/2 'n 1/2 which Foodland can't seem to keep in stock.

I sense the makings of a good "pro vs. con" thread here :D

For my 2-satang, I like Villa and shope there for certain items I can't get at Foodland. They have some deli meats and dairy items Foodland does not. Also, their vegetable section stocks many nice imported items that you will not find at Foodland. Prices are sometimes higher or the same as elsewhere but unless you want to fly back home for some item or go without, what are you going to do. As for service, I have always found all the staff very friendly and helpful and check-out is never crowded.

I also like Foodland for many basic items and they have some good deli selections too. Where I shop depends on what I need and which is closest at the particular moment I decide to shop :o

I sense the makings of a good "pro vs. con" thread here :D

For my 2-satang, I like Villa and shope there for certain items I can't get at Foodland. They have some deli meats and dairy items Foodland does not. Also, their vegetable section stocks many nice imported items that you will not find at Foodland. Prices are sometimes higher or the same as elsewhere but unless you want to fly back home for some item or go without, what are you going to do. As for service, I have always found all the staff very friendly and helpful and check-out is never crowded.

I also like Foodland for many basic items and they have some good deli selections too. Where I shop depends on what I need and which is closest at the particular moment I decide to shop :o

Foodland often runs out of certain Items, but on the other hand Villa often runs out of the same items. When foodland runs out of Lalepeno chillies I go to Villa and when villa runs out I go to foodland. villa does have 15 Baht Bagels which is a plus.

Like any where else, you cannot buy all your favorite items at one place. I usually have to float between Carefour, Tesco, Foodland, and Villa, and on occasion friendship.

Barry

I don't share your enthusiasm for Foodland at all.

You already made it clear you're a Villa fan by posting dozens of photos although it would seem you only visit there to pick up special items you can't get anywhere else.

I've never had any problems picking up tomatoes, onions or lettuce on my visits to Foodland, but I've had the worst tomatoes ever from Villa - they were inedible.

Like most people who live here, I shop around and over the period of a month I've usually visited most of the big supermarkets in Pattaya.

Overall Foodland wins hands down.

A better test would be to ask where a person would shop exclusively if they had to choose only one supermarket for all their shopping needs.

I don't share your enthusiasm for Villa at all.

The service is way slower than at Foodland and not friendly at all. No supermarket can hold a candle to Foodland in this area.

The turnover of fresh produce is far too slow to ensure it's fresh. It's also ridiculously over priced, further ensuring a slow turnover.

Same In Bkk the meat and fish section full of luscious green and grey meats along with the unmistakable smell of decaying seafood :o , Villa only good for wine, imported stuff if your dumb enough to pay 10 times more for the equivalent locally made product and yes I agree that some stuff you just GOTTA`have but its funny to watch Farang expat wives pushing a trolley full of Imported products, I guess those expat packages pay pretty good :D

It's ok and I think some of the meats are good but prices are marked up all over. I hate their tiny car park and the location is just not convenient for me. I suppose if there was something I really wanted I'd go there but I don't hanker after anything I can't get at Carrefour.

I only go to Foodland because it is next to Carrefour so when driving back from Carrefour I might pop in. Decent cheese and bacon but nothing else I cannot get elsewhere.

Tescos is a right rip off. Might be cheap in the UK but not in Thailand. It can be 10% or more expensive than Carrefour.

Why are we repeating the same old comments aboiut Villa :o

Read my post above. There are some new comments in there.

It's good to get an update after 7 months since opening. A lot of new members may have missed the old threads.

My biggest grouse about Villa Market is probably petty, but to me it's quite irritating: no overhead signs indicating what is in each aisle! To me, that's a basic amenity in a western-style grocery store.

Perhaps it's intentional so I have to cruise up and down each aisle to find what I want, but if so, the result is a perception that it's a difficult store to shop in, so I don't go there often.

Foodland is the best deal . . villamarket are over pricely...

I just returned from Pattaya. I was impressed with Villa.

From what I remember of prices from Foodland, Friendship, and Tops, the prices at Villa were comparable and sometimes less, for speciality items. For example, Danita's & El Charro burrito size flour tortillas were 68 baht at Villa, they are 78 baht at Foodland. Maybe for staple items, the prices are higher, to be honest, I didn't check. I was only after speciality items. I found everything I wanted.

I thought it was a very well laid out store. I think they have overhead signs now?

I asked a staff where a certain item was and they took me right to it.

I sure wish we had something comparable in Udon. For a foodie like me, you guys don't know how lucky you are.

Foodland is the best deal . . villamarket are over pricely...

I just returned from Pattaya. I was impressed with Villa.

From what I remember of prices from Foodland, Friendship, and Tops, the prices at Villa were comparable and sometimes less, for speciality items. For example, Danita's & El Charro burrito size flour tortillas were 68 baht at Villa, they are 78 baht at Foodland. Maybe for staple items, the prices are higher, to be honest, I didn't check. I was only after speciality items. I found everything I wanted.

I thought it was a very well laid out store. I think they have overhead signs now?

I asked a staff where a certain item was and they took me right to it.

I sure wish we had something comparable in Udon. For a foodie like me, you guys don't know how lucky you are.

Villa is OK for speciality items but in my opinion nothing beats some of the choices

available in Bangkok. One supermarket is about half way from nana to Siam station and has

L'Occident(or is it L'Orient?) (deli) on ground floor of a dept store. I forget the name - anyone know? It is simply great

and I wish they had a branch here. Their food court prices are reasonable too.

• 2 weeks later...

I did'nt like to pay for my parking after 20 mins. inside. :o

Foodland will be my first choice, unless I'm on my feet and only need a few items :D

If you can't park your car out the front then forget it I reckon! Tried there twice and none available so back to foodland. Good wine selection tho.

Out in front is where I paid 40 baht? after 20? mins. :o (sorry dont remember the excact fee/mins.)

If you can't park your car out the front then forget it I reckon! Tried there twice and none available so back to foodland. Good wine selection tho.

Out in front is where I paid 40 baht? after 20? mins. :o (sorry dont remember the excact fee/mins.)

fair enough tho. unlike foodland, villa is centrally located and that car park services about 40 big money outlets. If it was free you'd have every man and his buffalo parking there. Supply and Demand I guess?

Parking is free if you shop in Villa (unless they changed it recently, it's been a while since I went shopping there last, the location is inconvenient). Just get the cashier to stamp your parking ticket.

Edited by Phil Conners