Flights

sparrow

thinking price and savings aswell as total journey time, flexibility etc

Always just gone for the cheapest ticket at the time but thinking could be worth joining the thai club or simillar as clocking up alot of miles.

Opinions please :o

It doesn't cost to join an air miles program so why not? The one that I have keeps the miles for 3 years after your last flight with them so provided you fly at least once every 3 years you will continue to accumulate the miles and I hope that one day I'll enough to do something with them.

i have cards for most airlines that fly from UK to bangkok best one i have so far is Qatar it took 4 flights to get silver and in march i used my air miles to book a one way London bangkok 90 GBP tax only . with silver you can use the lounges at the airports as well as extra baggage and first class check in , (fast track and board when you want)

It doesn't cost to join an air miles program so why not? The one that I have keeps the miles for 3 years after your last flight with them so provided you fly at least once every 3 years you will continue to accumulate the miles and I hope that one day I'll enough to do something with them.

which club are you with? i guess one could join them all.

I was thinking if it was worth paying the extra for an airline like to thai every time to accumulate the miles over rather than fly cheaper arabian carriers.

i have cards for most airlines that fly from UK to bangkok best one i have so far is Qatar it took 4 flights to get silver and in march i used my air miles to book a one way London bangkok 90 GBP tax only . with silver you can use the lounges at the airports as well as extra baggage and first class check in , (fast track and board when you want)

that sounds great. cheers, i'll look in to it. Can your familly members clock-up miles on your behalf?

that sounds great. cheers, i'll look in to it. Can your familly members clock-up miles on your behalf?

With Qatar - yes

Also, do not forget credit card spend can also accumulate miles.

I use MBNA for both my personal and business credit cards, and spending on both cards adds to my BMI airmiles which can be used on any Star Alliance member (incuding Thai).

BA have similar with Amex.

I earn a "free" business class return on Thai (Europe to CNX) about once every year.

Edited by Contractor

I was thinking if it was worth paying the extra for an airline like to thai every time to accumulate the miles over rather than fly cheaper arabian carriers.

Its like this time i have to fly to the uk but Qatar is 26.000 baht so i will fly with gulf air for 21.000 just join all of them you can do it all on line some times its not worth paying extra but it depends on how many times you fly

Flying Blue (KLM / Air France) but as Colino says there is nothing stopping you from accumulating as many cards as you want.

The card does not make me loyal to the airline - I always shop around for the best deal and flight times.

Reason for edit : correct grammatical error before someone else does :o

Edited by SamSipEt

Also, do not forget credit card spend can also accumulate miles.

I use MBNA for both my personal and business credit cards, and spending on both cards adds to my BMI airmiles which can be used on any Star Alliance member (incuding Thai).

BA have similar with Amex.

I earn a "free" business class return on Thai (Europe to CNX) about once every year.

Just got mine ...BMI MBNA/Amex CC and did a quick run over to Amsterdam (for a beer/2) and picked up 20,000 plus 1 mile /per pound spent.

If I can add it to my ROCi Thai might get my Gold Card back...but ...dont know yet?

Another visit to LOS on the cards...me thinks... :o

I'm part of China-Airlines Frequent Flyer program and have flown with them the last 3 years... I just got upgraded to Gold Status which means I don't have to wait in line checking bags and boarding flights... I can also use their lounges (with free wi-fi, drinks and snacks). I also signed up for their Credit Card and get mileage for every dollar I spend (more if I purchase a flight on China Airlines with the credit card). Best thing I like about China-Airlines is the fact they are consistently the cheapest Airline flying from San Francisco to Bangkok... So I kind of get the best of both worlds, cheap flights + mileage.

Like some others said, it's free to sign up for these programs, so why not sign up for a Frequent Flyer card. Once you find a reasonable Airlines (for your particular destination) and stick with that airline for a decent period of time, you can garner some good rewards.

Flying Blue (KLM / Air France) but as Colino says there is nothing stopping you from accumulating as many cards as you want.

The card does not make me loyal to the airline - I always shop around for the best deal and flight times.

Flying Blue is a great program - I have lifetime Platinum status (Thats A LOT of flights.....) they treat me like royalty, can thoroughly recommend. Tends to keep me loyal to them too, even though I don't need to make the annual renewal points anymore.

Flying Blue is a great program - I have lifetime Platinum status (Thats A LOT of flights.....) they treat me like royalty, can thoroughly recommend. Tends to keep me loyal to them too, even though I don't need to make the annual renewal points anymore.

a good marketing program through Frequent Flier Miles (Loyalty programs) is an important way for airlines to be competitive these days. i had frequent flier miles with THAI for a while but dumped it for cheaper flights on Air Asia. it really depends where you are traveling to frequently and hence no concrete answer on what is better.

One of the earliest was the Chieftain Club based at Gatwick but think my miles have expired ... :o

London-La- West Africa -Glasgow..... :D

and what could have been.....

Same here..

Have mine with Delta on Amex, last time to BKK was with Singapore Air, Business Class, and cost me 75.00USD..

Spoiled me rotten...

Can be a good thing.

I can too recommend getting 'em all.

Something that is of great value to me and maybe to others: When you make silver on Royal Orchid Plus (Thai), which only takes one return flight to Europe, you get ten kilos extra baggage allowance (i.e. a total of 30 kilos) :D Ten kilos overweight (baggage, that is) e.g. STO-BKK costs about 17,000 THB, at least in theory :o

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

a good marketing program through Frequent Flier Miles (Loyalty programs) is an important way for airlines to be competitive these days. i had frequent flier miles with THAI for a while but dumped it for cheaper flights on Air Asia. it really depends where you are traveling to frequently and hence no concrete answer on what is better.

I fly to england every year with the missus. Now we've got the little one looking to fly direct ie shortist journey time. Eva and Thai were said to be good, what do think?

Short trips in asia i'd probably just go budget.

I fly to england every year with the missus. Now we've got the little one looking to fly direct ie shortist journey time. Eva and Thai were said to be good, what do think?

Short trips in asia i'd probably just go budget.

For me i like to break the flight up (as im a smoker ) 1-2 hours at a middle east airport is brill i can also stock up on the cheap cigs and tobbaco (cheaper than thailand )before flying on to the UK ,

thinking price and savings aswell as total journey time, flexibility etc

Always just gone for the cheapest ticket at the time but thinking could be worth joining the thai club or simillar as clocking up alot of miles.

Opinions please :o

Over the past 28 years, I have found that going for the cheapest flight available is more economical as often an airline does not have frequent flyer seats available on the days I need to travel and I am no longer as flexible on my scheduling as yesteryear. But I usually only make one trans-pacific flight a year, so those who fly more often may be better able to take advantage of the mileage programs.

I'm going to think twice about flying with Arabic pilots, at least for a while. I'll still to Thai Airways. I know anything can happen with any airlines, but what I paste below is ridiculous!!!

WRECKED A340-600 at TOULOUSE FRANCE

These are pictures of the wreck of a brand new A340-600, in November 2007, that had never flown.

Brand spanking new right out of the hanger, without a single hour of air time. Enter the Arab flight crew.

Nine employees of the Arab airline were in the aircraft, but not one employee from French Airbus was present.

The Arabs taxied out to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with a virtually empty aircraft. This was their first mistake, as they obviously didn't read the run-up manuals. They had no clue just how light of an empty A340-600 really is. No chocks were set, not that it would have mattered at that power setting. The brakes and chocks together would not hold it back at full power anyway.

The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc.) Then one of these brain surgeons decided to pull the circuit breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor, to silence the alarm.

This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.

That was a big mistake. As soon as they did that, the computers automaticlly released all the brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward. The poor idiots had no idea that this is a SAFETYfeature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on. There was no one onboard smart enough to throttle back the engines from their max power setting, so the rest is as you see it below.

Arabs, don't you just love 'em..............

Of Note:

No one is talking and it didn't make the main stream media so who knows if there were survivors. Not surprising since the main stream media is so afraid of insulting anyone that is Arabic.

Arab_plane_crash_5.bmp

I'm going to think twice about flying with Arabic pilots, at least for a while. I'll still to Thai Airways. I know anything can happen with any airlines, but what I paste below is ridiculous!!!

WRECKED A340-600 at TOULOUSE FRANCE

These are pictures of the wreck of a brand new A340-600, in November 2007, that had never flown.

Brand spanking new right out of the hanger, without a single hour of air time. Enter the Arab flight crew.

Nine employees of the Arab airline were in the aircraft, but not one employee from French Airbus was present.

The Arabs taxied out to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with a virtually empty aircraft. This was their first mistake, as they obviously didn't read the run-up manuals. They had no clue just how light of an empty A340-600 really is. No chocks were set, not that it would have mattered at that power setting. The brakes and chocks together would not hold it back at full power anyway.

The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc.) Then one of these brain surgeons decided to pull the circuit breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor, to silence the alarm.

This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.

That was a big mistake. As soon as they did that, the computers automaticlly released all the brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward. The poor idiots had no idea that this is a SAFETYfeature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on. There was no one onboard smart enough to throttle back the engines from their max power setting, so the rest is as you see it below.

Arabs, don't you just love 'em..............

Of Note:

No one is talking and it didn't make the main stream media so who knows if there were survivors. Not surprising since the main stream media is so afraid of insulting anyone that is Arabic.

Forgot the photos... I hope they attach now...Arab_plane_crash_5.bmpArab_plane_crash_3.bmp