Phayao

Sparkles

Am visiting Chiang Rai again next weekend in our search for somewhere to settle and will be driving back via Phayao, Phrae etc. Any recommendations for accom in Phayao ? The choice seems limited apart from the rather large Gateway Hotel . Any options out there and apart from the lake anything we really shouldn't miss ?

Well at 10-19 may Phayao will held Paedpeng event at Sri Khom Kham temple (the most important temple in Phayao).

Also from 15-19 may Phayao held lychee festival start at 17.30 in the city park behind town hall.

There´s 3 hotels in Muang district. The cheapest one around 350 Baht, Tharn Thong Hotel.

Check this link for the detail. http://travel.phayaoprovince.net/En/accomm...index-muang.htm

Month may holds several activities so maybe you better take a look on this site. It has good info on Phayao province.

See how you can plan your visit before leave to Phae.

http://travel.phayaoprovince.net/En/index.htm

Thanks for the reply. Seems not many folk get down that way and it is only 90kms or so. So I guess its seek and ye shall find !

Maybe it's so the secret won't get out. :o

There is lots to do in Phayao and the surrounding area but most of it requires local knowledge. It's hard to find out about Phayao on the internet. Most farang just stop for lunch by the lake and head out again down the road. There is a great little covered day market just behind Thai Farmers Bank ( I think that's the bank). There is a real nice little golf course ( 9 holes) on the Military base about 3 Km out of town on 1202, slow down at the gas station, can't miss the Gate on the left. If you are into Buddhism as it should be there is a small road on your right about 100 yards before the Military entrance just before the shop houses. There is also a sign but it's in Thai. Just follow the road and it ends in the forrest with a small temple with one monk it's a very special little hideaway. Our house is on the left of the temple road. Lots to do lots to see but most, just pass through, and miss it all.

I should add that almost everyone in Phayao, including the government offices, speak Northern Thai almost exclusively.

Edited by lukamar

Thanks for the reply. Seems not many folk get down that way and it is only 90kms or so. So I guess its seek and ye shall find !

Maybe it's so the secret won't get out. :o

There is lots to do in Phayao and the surrounding area but most of it requires local knowledge. It's hard to find out about Phayao on the internet. Most farang just stop for lunch by the lake and head out again down the road. There is a great little covered day market just behind Thai Farmers Bank ( I think that's the bank). There is a real nice little golf course ( 9 holes) on the Military base about 3 Km out of town on 1202, slow down at the gas station, can't miss the Gate on the left. If you are into Buddhism as it should be there is a small road on your right about 100 yards before the Military entrance just before the shop houses. There is also a sign but it's in Thai. Just follow the road and it ends in the forrest with a small temple with one monk it's a very special little hideaway. Our house is on the left of the temple road. Lots to do lots to see but most, just pass through, and miss it all.

I should add that almost everyone in Phayao, including the government offices, speak Northern Thai almost exclusively.

Many thanks for that local info. We have booked into the Gateway Hotel for 2 nights and my Thai wife has a friend who has offered to show us around.Interesting feature of the hotel is that despite their inflated rack rates over the phone they offered my wife a room with 2 beds for 850 baht per night but if we wanted a king size bed,which we prefer, its 1,800 baht Must be some bed ! cant wait to see it. Sometimes the logic in Thailand defies explanation !!!

A bit late, but maybe next time:

I use the Phu Thong Place hotel. Excellent value for money @ 500 baht a night.

Other hotels are - Gateway, Northern Lake, Tharn Thong, Wattana, Tharn Tara.

Fave restaurant used to be the Nong Ang, but last trip it seemed as if they've lost their good cook. Id try the Chaliang Khwan for food next time.

Night time check out the Krua Thep Pub on the lake, for good music & food. Music the usual pop rock 70-80s stuff, but good. Customers generally mature adults.

But my fave music Pub is the Lakeview with a wonderful young jazzy Thai band playing. Customers younger uni student types.

Sight seeing check out Wat Sri Khom Kham. Also Wat Analayao on the other (west) side of the lake is worth a look.

Fave restaurant used to be the Nong Ang, but last trip it seemed as if they've lost their good cook. Id try the Chaliang Khwan for food next time.

Night time check out the Krua Thep Pub on the lake, for good music & food. Music the usual pop rock 70-80s stuff, but good. Customers generally mature adults.

But my fave music Pub is the Lakeview with a wonderful young jazzy Thai band playing. Customers younger uni student types.

Sight seeing check out Wat Sri Khom Kham. Also Wat Analayao on the other (west) side of the lake is worth a look.

No not too late ! and following your recommendation we cancelled the 1800 baht king size bed at Gateway and reclined in the 500 baht a night Phu Thong Place, with a king size bed. Excellent value and one of Thailands best kept secrets. The hotel has no web site and no email address amazing in todays worlds. When I asked them "why not" they said "we only here for 6 months" Having worked in the hotel industry for many years I am amazed at the lack of expertise in the industry here. However thanks to forums like this we can all discover places we would never have found.We were told the hotel is owned by a very well off politician which may explain why they dont require extra custom!

The only downsides to Phu Thong Place are the very ordinary breakfast on offer , no facilitity even for a cuppa during the day and not even a photocopied local map at reception.They are however going to make an awfully big dent in the Gateway Hotels occupancy when word gets around.

The rest of Phayao is very pleasant and the pub/restaurants on the lake good value. Thankfully there is no development, as yet, right on the lake but a nice landscaped walk with development on the other side of the road.

No not too late ! and following your recommendation we cancelled the 1800 baht king size bed at Gateway and reclined in the 500 baht a night Phu Thong Place, with a king size bed. Excellent value and one of Thailands best kept secrets. The hotel has no web site and no email address amazing in todays worlds. When I asked them "why not" they said "we only here for 6 months" Having worked in the hotel industry for many years I am amazed at the lack of expertise in the industry here. However thanks to forums like this we can all discover places we would never have found.We were told the hotel is owned by a very well off politician which may explain why they dont require extra custom!

The only downsides to Phu Thong Place are the very ordinary breakfast on offer , no facilitity even for a cuppa during the day and not even a photocopied local map at reception.They are however going to make an awfully big dent in the Gateway Hotels occupancy when word gets around.

The rest of Phayao is very pleasant and the pub/restaurants on the lake good value. Thankfully there is no development, as yet, right on the lake but a nice landscaped walk with development on the other side of the road.

Personally I don't think you missed much with the brekky at the Gateway either, although it would be better than the Phu Thong place. I don't know of a good western breakfast in Phayao yet & last time hit the Rice & Grill, but the service there was somewhat mediocre, along with the food that day. So not a place for breakfast. Sadly too I think the Rice & Grill is going downhill fast. It started off great, fresh, clean & good service, but now it's definitely seen better days; that's a shame because it was a good idea & place at the start.

Did you get to check out either of the pubs Krua Thep & Lake View? The Lake View is my top tip in Phayao. The girlfriend's been a full time singer for 10 years in Cnx, knows her stuff & was highly impressed with the young guy (band leader) playing at the Lake View. He played & sang almost non-stop - tireless, but was always fresh & played feeling, not yet burned out or bored.

The band at the Lake View..

300031339_gm8iz-S-0.jpg

The star of the show, perhaps not looking so fresh in this particular pic..

300031256_UEw4a-S.jpg

But I cant wait to get back to Phayao for a night by the lake & listening to the "Talent" band at the Lake View. Check it out sometime you guys.

Edited by davidgtr

Personally I don't think you missed much with the brekky at the Gateway either, although it would be better than the Phu Thong place. I don't know of a good western breakfast in Phayao yet & last time hit the Rice & Grill, but the service there was somewhat mediocre, along with the food that day. So not a place for breakfast. Sadly too I think the Rice & Grill is going downhill fast. It started off great, fresh, clean & good service, but now it's definitely seen better days; that's a shame because it was a good idea & place at the start.

Did you get to check out either of the pubs Krua Thep & Lake View? The Lake View is my top tip in Phayao. The girlfriend's been a full time singer for 10 years in Cnx, knows her stuff & was highly impressed with the young guy (band leader) playing at the Lake View. He played & sang almost non-stop - tireless, but was always fresh & played feeling, not yet burned out or bored.

The band at the Lake View..

300031339_gm8iz-S-0.jpg

The star of the show, perhaps not looking so fresh in this particular pic..

300031256_UEw4a-S.jpg

But I cant wait to get back to Phayao for a night by the lake & listening to the "Talent" band at the Lake View. Check it out sometime you guys.

Had dinner at Krua Thep restaurant on the Monday night (holiday) food was ok but unfortuantly it was the bands night off as it was at the Lake View the same night. Yes there is no decent place for a breakfast.The Miracle Coffee shop opp the lake has the potential to be a good coffee shop/breakfast bar but sadly the owner hasnt woken up to it yet. Noticed many foreigners walking the foreshore apparently from a tour bus, what a golden opportuntiy for some entrepreneur.