Work Permit Question

I will be setting up a company owned 49% by me and 51% by my Thai wife. I would be doing consulting, working on websites I own and possible export. Can I get a work permit for just myself as the sole employee? Or will I be required to hire 4 Thais before I can hire myself and get a work permit?

I have just set up a company and you will need minimum 4-5 Thai employees registered as working for the company. You do not need to pay them a salary but they may need to turn up quickly should checks be made. I would advise using people you can trust and live close. You will however have to pay national health fees for 5 employees this is 5000Bt per month. In return the volunteers will get free health insurance. Note: registered owners of the company will not be able to get health care only staff.

You will however have to pay national health fees for 5 employees this is 5000Bt per month.
I recall a similar thread recently talking about salary and tax checks (?) being made to weed out fake staff. FWIW they do take ID copies when they carry out random checks of your offices, if you 'employ' rent-a-staff they might find your staff also employed at other offices?

I did think I saw a thread here talking about the need for 4 staff per WP being dependant on the nature of your work?

If you can employ 4 people it is of course better and I advise doing so.

I employ 1 person at the moment but hope to take more on soon.

Until then keep the gates locked and pretend to be closed for the day.

Do not start a company just to stay in Thailand it is too expensive.

OK

Not sure about that, maybe it depends on the type of business you are in.

Only know what applies to my company.

My bookkeeper tells me the law is changing day to day basis at the moment and they cannot keep up with it.

I have tried the search but cannot find a reference.

I feel sure there is an option for "consultants" that does not require 4 employees. :o

I have done some more searching and it appears I am wrong.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;hl=consultant

The problem with quoting treads in the archives dated 2006, the Thai interpretation this year is changing by the week if not be the day. For many years you did not need 4 Thai employees to get a work permit. Then in Feb of this year in Bangkok they required it but you could get a waiver if you wrote a letter explaining why you have not hire Thais.

Once again Bkk is more relaxed on the interpretation these past several weeks and are not requiring Thai employees. However other provinces are being VERY strict and requiring them. Like the ocean has tides so does the interpretation, if you want everything to be black and white then go with the stricter version.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com