System Builders Installing Pirated Software

jeffer

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/14May2008_data006.php

"Officers from the Ecotec division of the Royal Thai Police recently carried out raids at IT malls across the capital, as part of the continued fight against counterfeit and unlicensed software in Thailand.

Although piracy is typically associated with the selling of counterfeit products such as copied CDs or DVDs, it is now also alarmingly common for hardware to be pre-installed with unlicensed software before it is sold to an end-user, according to police.

A survey commissioned by Microsoft last year revealed that 97 per cent of system builders in major IT malls in Bangkok are guilty of "hard disk loading"- the practice of installing pirated or unlicensed software on a PC. At the time of the survey, only three per cent of software vendors at Panthip Plaza, Zeer Rangsit Mall and Fortune Mall offered PCs pre-installed with genuine Microsoft products."

Probably only 3% partly because the manufacturers of computers sold in Thailand don't always load Windows themselves unlike in the US where most PCs, even the cheap ones come with Windows pre installed. Bought a computer as I'm sure others have from a well known store recently and I have to say the pirated software installed was an excellent selection, lots of anti-virus and spyware protection, much better than what you get on a legitimate operating system. :o I was surprised when Windows update worked with it. If it had been partitioned the way I wanted then I may have kept it but I had a genuine license so replaced with that instead.

I've bought four computers in Thailand (three desktop PC's and one sub-notebook). All four were loaded to the gills with pirated software when they were delivered into my hands. Of course, I dutifully and immediately uninstalled it all and spent another $1,000US to replace it with equal-performing, legitimate software. :o

It's a tough one when it's just laid in your lap like that...

Much more so, for a Thai university student who's saved for three years to buy his first PC.

I was surprised when Windows update worked with it. If it had been partitioned the way I wanted then I may have kept it but I had a genuine license so replaced with that instead.[/color]

I only use legal software, but my missus uses pirated software, which in fact is just the norm here in Thailand.

Can you guarantee that the Windows Update (SP3) is going to work? I am fed up with the PC dealer coming in and reload her system again and again....

• 1 year later...
I was surprised when Windows update worked with it. If it had been partitioned the way I wanted then I may have kept it but I had a genuine license so replaced with that instead.[/color]

I only use legal software, but my missus uses pirated software, which in fact is just the norm here in Thailand.

Can you guarantee that the Windows Update (SP3) is going to work? I am fed up with the PC dealer coming in and reload her system again and again....

I'm glad I found this old thread. Now, I don't feel so bad about trying to update my media player (and inadvertently Windows XP), which were installed by my gang at Pantip Plaza. Don't get me wrong, they've been helpful all these years and they do seem to be a pretty good bunch. I just wished they would have told me not to attempt any new updates. Here's what happened:

I love to listen to the radio on the internet so when I tried to open Windows Media Guide Internet Radio, it prompted me to update or no go. I must have been half asleep clicking next until my computer finally shut down. I rebooted again and there was a counterfeit message embedded on my desktop along with a resolve now or later prompt. For many days I kept clicking on the resolve later key, until finally my computer hit the skids and gave me the dreaded blue screen indicating that the hard drive has been damaged. Now, I can't even get the computer to boot up anymore :) .

This time, I bought a new computer that had the original XP already installed along with authentic drivers. Took me forever and a day to get all the updates installed, the whole nine yards of it. Now, I'm worried about installing any more pirated stuff on this new computer. I want Quick Time, but all I can find is pirated and I'm not spending 10k baht for it (I was told that was the price for the real thing). My fear is that if I install the pirated software, my regular Windows Update will scan my computer, find it and there will be trouble again. I'm not even sure if my Norton Internet Security will give it a green go ahead. What if they have some spyware, trojans and viruses etc. on there?!

I want Quick Time, but all I can find is pirated and I'm not spending 10k baht for it

You can download these for free that allows you to run quicktime/realplayer files in standard media players:

QuickTime Alternative

RealTime Alternative

Hey, thanks for the links, but when I tried to download QT, I got a message that the setup files are corrupted. :) It was QT Lite 2.9.0. that I tried. Maybe I should try the other ones?

Hey, thanks for the links, but when I tried to download QT, I got a message that the setup files are corrupted. :) It was QT Lite 2.9.0. that I tried. Maybe I should try the other ones?

Not sure about the QT Lite but I've downloaded the QuickTime Alternative 2.9.2 (2nd item) from them not that long ago and had no problems. I suspect a download failure somewhere along the line.

I bought a new desktop at Airport Plaza a month back - I was told that it didn't come with an OS or software (just driver disks) - but they will put pirated on for me free If I want, "Is a problem for you?" the kind man asked.

Yikes, what did you do?

The place where I bought my computer had sold me one that also did not have the OS installed and they took me to a place where that pirate installed the software for 500 baht. It caused damage to my hard drive and I brought it back. After much ado (to put it very mildly), they gave me a new computer that had the authentic OS installed. I think the software caused the damage. But this is face saving Thailand where no self respecting person can be held liable. Now, after two damaged hard drives, most likely caused by pirated software, I'm more than just a wee bit nervous about it all. It's not like refunds are an option here. :)

I boutht an Acer lap top in Pantip last year with 'genuine' windows installed. After SP3 I got the 'resolve now' pop ups, I can live with it but will it eventually crash my computer?

I left that one for the missus to use and bought a little Toshiba to bring home with me. Another 'genuine' windows but this time I didn't add any extras and the Office suite and Nortons are trial versions. Would I be safe in turning automatic updates back on or wll I get the 'resolve' run around on this computer too?

I boutht an Acer lap top in Pantip last year with 'genuine' windows installed. After SP3 I got the 'resolve now' pop ups, I can live with it but will it eventually crash my computer?

I left that one for the missus to use and bought a little Toshiba to bring home with me. Another 'genuine' windows but this time I didn't add any extras and the Office suite and Nortons are trial versions. Would I be safe in turning automatic updates back on or wll I get the 'resolve' run around on this computer too?

If the windows is "genuine", your PC/Laptop will have the holographic Microsoft sticker with the product key on it.

If you can't find that sticker, then yep, sooner or later you'll get the "resolve now?" pop up again.

I bought a new desktop at Airport Plaza a month back - I was told that it didn't come with an OS or software (just driver disks) - but they will put pirated on for me free If I want, "Is a problem for you?" the kind man asked.

I bought a COMPAQ 14" laptop last year at Panthip Chiangmai without any genuine OS provided. They offered to install a Vista copy and I just denied their offer.

Back home I just had to download a Mandriva Spring 2008 ISO for free and anything but the wireless chipset (Broadcom) worked out of the box, even the integrated camera. The wireless package (thanks to Mr. Adam Williamson) was available in the Mandriva dev repository. It's now an official pkg.

Seriously, who among us need an unauthorized OS copy or can't afford a genuine one today ?

Edited by Dontdisturb

True, it's like with so many other things in Thailand. The customers blindly go for the cheapest "product" without thinking, they would rather pay 100 THB for a Windows XP installation and get crap and problems and have to come back then paying 1000 THB for a proper cracked version. We see these customers every day in our shop, and we simply don't want to go to such a low quality level to compete with the Thai shops' prices.

True, it's like with so many other things in Thailand. The customers blindly go for the cheapest "product" without thinking, they would rather pay 100 THB for a Windows XP installation and get crap and problems and have to come back then paying 1000 THB for a proper cracked version. We see these customers every day in our shop, and we simply don't want to go to such a low quality level to compete with the Thai shops' prices.

The problem is it's often a lot more than 1,000 THB for a proper legal (cracked? Was that a freudian lapse?) version. Check out the price of Adobe Suite in Thailand. It's over 100,000 - a LOT over. Then remember the same product can be licensed legally in USA for about half the Thai price. Where's the justice in that?

Edited by Phil Conners

installing non legit software does'nt cause problem if it's properly done, i never bought any software in more than ten years and never got a problem that wasn't fixable.

the problem comes often with the modified windows, i'm using the same xp's that i update myself with the latest service packs and update.

of course there's no fancy themes with my xp's.

Who cares about illegal programs? they should look into all the virus and keylogger that they install

My install from KC tech (yeah the one recomanded on this forum many times) had 1 keylogger and many intrusion virus.. took me 3hrs to clean all their crap from the unlegit windows

The place where I bought my computer had sold me one that also did not have the OS installed and they took me to a place where that pirate installed the software for 500 baht. It caused damage to my hard drive and I brought it back. After much ado (to put it very mildly), they gave me a new computer that had the authentic OS installed. I think the software caused the damage. But this is face saving Thailand where no self respecting person can be held liable. Now, after two damaged hard drives, most likely caused by pirated software, I'm more than just a wee bit nervous about it all. It's not like refunds are an option here. :)

Since when will pirated software damage the harddisk?Are the I's and O's from copy software not as smooth as legit one's so that they make scratches.

This may sound as sarcasm but I would like to here from someone with the knowledge how software can damage a harddisk.

I would like to here from someone with the knowledge how software can damage a harddisk.

There is a way though very unlikely it would be added in to the OS software and that is if it overwrites the firmware of the hard disk. Another way that can make a mess of things is if it creates something like a GPT or other proprietary partition which can be a real pain to remove. But physically damaging a disk, no.

When I have bought a laptop from Pantip I ask if the software is genuine or not. if they tell me it is legit I then ask to update the software in the shop via Windows update. If it is legit it will pass the WGA test. If it fails I then re negotiate a discount for the software and simply use the resolve now button and get a disc from MS.

I also would love to know how a pirated copy of windows can damage a hard dive ? :)

I had my desktop completely updated. mother board, new compatible ram, CPU and power supply. I kept my original hard drive at home and had a spare hard drive installed with the new system. I found out that they have a hard drive with all the pirated programs and lots of other junk at the shop. They copy that hard drive to your new system. After I got my computer back home, I put the original hard drive back in. Other than calling Microsoft for a new unlock code, everything worked properly. The call to Microsoft took maybe ten minutes. I eventually formatted the hard drive with the pirated programs and now have Windows 7 on it. I use an external hard drive for my back ups.

I don't think software can damage hardware unless it can somehow alter the RMP speed. Maybe they were referring to data loss?

Ian

I was getting the blue screen on two computers that said there was damage to the C drive. It locked up. My speed got increasingly slower with time and to the point that I couldn't type an email because I would type a whole sentence before it would appear on the screen and the wifi just failed miserably on both computers. I had about ten guys look at the 'new' computer with the pirated software and they were stunned. I've never seen so many techies shocked by one computer in all my life.

Edited by EffectiveAnger

I've seen many shops install pirated windows, but alias it simply comes down to price and lack of knowledge, plus I believe for what microsoft charges for a legit copy of windows in thailand is simply to expensive for the majority of people here, so I can't say I'm not surprised when windows piracy is high here. more than 5000 baht for a legit copy. I think it would just be better to train thai people to use linux ( although no guarantee that it would work ) I've long got done with windows after using ubuntu for my everyday needs. The only way I could actually say you need windows is simply for the work environment especially if the program you need is only for windows. I'm not talk about adobe photoshop I'm talking about programs thats more in use with a database system. I know linux could do it but the majority of reservation systems, accounting etc for most hotels require using windows. for almost every program there's an open source program examples include:

Internet Explorer = Chrome, Firefox, Safari

Windows Media / Quicktime = VLC Player

Adobe Photoshop = GIMP

Winzip / Winrar = Peazip

Microsoft Office = Open Office

Windows XP / Vista = Linux Alternative

FTP = file zilla

I think microsoft should figure out a better pricing scheme for thailand instead on charging thai users the same price as people in the west. Then they wonder how come piracy is so high here.

Yikes, what did you do?

Actually I made the mistake of saying, "Yeah sure" - two hours after getting it home it blue screened several times and then just wouldn't boot even in safe mode. Took it back and told them to remove it all. Lesson learnt! System was almost 50k and I already had XP Pro on CD (legit non-OEM one from my last, expired box) - so I was just being lazy.

I also would love to know how a pirated copy of windows can damage a hard dive ? :)

I guess overclocking the system could cause a heating issue that could damage the CPU, but HDD, I doubt it otherwise they'd be virii out there doing it already.

I've seen many shops install pirated windows, but alias it simply comes down to price and lack of knowledge, plus I believe for what microsoft charges for a legit copy of windows in thailand is simply to expensive for the majority of people here, so I can't say I'm not surprised when windows piracy is high here. more than 5000 baht for a legit copy. I think it would just be better to train thai people to use linux ( although no guarantee that it would work ) I've long got done with windows after using ubuntu for my everyday needs. The only way I could actually say you need windows is simply for the work environment especially if the program you need is only for windows. I'm not talk about adobe photoshop I'm talking about programs thats more in use with a database system. I know linux could do it but the majority of reservation systems, accounting etc for most hotels require using windows. for almost every program there's an open source program examples include:

Internet Explorer = Chrome, Firefox, Safari

Windows Media / Quicktime = VLC Player

Adobe Photoshop = GIMP

Winzip / Winrar = Peazip

Microsoft Office = Open Office

Windows XP / Vista = Linux Alternative

FTP = file zilla

I think microsoft should figure out a better pricing scheme for thailand instead on charging thai users the same price as people in the west. Then they wonder how come piracy is so high here.

Anything comparable to my fave .. Adobe Illustrator?