System Builders Installing Pirated Software

jeffer

over the years here I have brought 3 laptops from Sony at an official dealer and one desk top HP I think from some corner in Paragon. the Sony ones all came with original software already downloaded but the HP had nothing, so the guy took me to another corner to buy the version of Windows I wanted, once I got home I noticed on the pack that it said something along the lines of not for sale and only for distribution with new computers. they charge me 5k so that would be the last time I shop for a PC there.

I bought a new desktop at Airport Plaza a month back - I was told that it didn't come with an OS or software (just driver disks) - but they will put pirated on for me free If I want, "Is a problem for you?" the kind man asked.

Yikes, what did you do?

The place where I bought my computer had sold me one that also did not have the OS installed and they took me to a place where that pirate installed the software for 500 baht. It caused damage to my hard drive and I brought it back. After much ado (to put it very mildly), they gave me a new computer that had the authentic OS installed. I think the software caused the damage. But this is face saving Thailand where no self respecting person can be held liable. Now, after two damaged hard drives, most likely caused by pirated software, I'm more than just a wee bit nervous about it all. It's not like refunds are an option here. :)

-------------------------

I seriously doubt that the pirated software damaged your hard drive. More than likely the files were corrupted. In that case all that would be required would be to install a good copy.

Set your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive first and then insert a bootable copy of the operating system and instruct it to install over the corrupted files.

I'd be really interested in learning what 'overclocking the system' means. Does it have anything to do with the CPU consistently running up to 100% of capacity even when there seems to be no logical reason?

-------

Over clocking is running your CPU at a faster than default speed. If your CPU is running at 100% for no apparent reason you may have a virus that let other computers take over your computer to send spam etc. Look at your task manager and see if you can identify the programs running, disconnect your computer from the internet and see if it is still running at 100%. Frequently scan your computer with a good antivirus program.

Does it have anything to do with the CPU consistently running up to 100% of capacity even when there seems to be no logical reason?

If there are no other applications running the task manager will show a System Idle Process at around 99% and is perfectly normal. It means 99% of the time the CPU is doing nothing.

Does it have anything to do with the CPU consistently running up to 100% of capacity even when there seems to be no logical reason?

If there are no other applications running the task manager will show a System Idle Process at around 99% and is perfectly normal. It means 99% of the time the CPU is doing nothing.

Yes but that is a different window in task manager. If he sees 100% CPU activity in the performance graph or task bar icon for an extended period he needs to check what is using all that and likely will find a program in a loop (not responding) and needs to be closed to clear.

As for the HD failures suspect that was a virus of some type - either from the installed software or, more likely, from a USB autoplay. Did poster, or anyone in family, by any chance plug in a memory stick to there computers prior to the HD failure? This seems to be a favorate way to infect computers here in Thailand.

As for the Microsoft OS being labeled not for sale that only means it is OEM version and requires sale of a computer or part with it to be legal. It is the normal package here as full installs are just too expensive. I suspect the 5,000 baht price was for the highest level version as home versions seem to sell in the 3-4k range.

Most of the Government schools all have illegal software, and would guess that most of all the government offices are the same. they really see nothing wrong with this.

If this is true it does put anti-piracy crackdowns on places like Pantip into perspective. :)

There are endless complaints. The people buy a cheap system without OS and when the start it they see Windows XP or what ever. This should not be allowed. Such users could suffer for years with this not ordered software and even could end up jail. A very bad thing!!!

Yes, I've checked the task mgr. many times to see what's running and so did all the other guys. And now I have genuine NIS with active updates. I have quite a few programs running and they cause the CPU to run at 100% which turns on the fans fairly often. This seems to cause some delays, but nothing like when I used the other computers with pirated software.

Yes, I've checked the task mgr. many times to see what's running and so did all the other guys. And now I have genuine NIS with active updates. I have quite a few programs running and they cause the CPU to run at 100% which turns on the fans fairly often. This seems to cause some delays, but nothing like when I used the other computers with pirated software.

I had the same experience. The case made endless noise because all the fans were spinning like crazy. After a while my whole system died. But in your case what is a NIS?

I'm really suspicious of the new name brand computers being sold at Pantip without an OS installed. I thought pretty much all HPs and Compaq computers came with one already installed by the manufacturers. There are so many copycats here, just how does one know for sure they are getting the real thing without calling directly to comfirm?

** NIS = Norton Internet Security (Symantec).

Edited by EffectiveAnger

I'm really suspicious of the new name brand computers being sold at Pantip without an OS installed. I thought pretty much all HPs and Compaq computers came with one already installed by the manufacturers. There are so many copycats here, just how does one know for sure they are getting the real thing without calling directly to comfirm?

** NIS = Norton Internet Security (Symantec).

You can't be sure I guess. But I can tell you that Ingram Micro (largest hardware distributor in the world) and Synnex (one of the largest distributor in the world as well) both sell HP and Compaq computers without any pre-installed OS, and I doubt that those distributors will sell "fake" computers, or rather I know they don't.

Thailand vendors and Pantip dealers in particular, are pretty brazen in their pirating practice, spawned from a national mind-set. Notice the inflammatory wording on this copy of Windows XP which I....ahem...came across....

post-21740-1253006131_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

I was surprised when Windows update worked with it. If it had been partitioned the way I wanted then I may have kept it but I had a genuine license so replaced with that instead.[/color]

I only use legal software, but my missus uses pirated software, which in fact is just the norm here in Thailand.

Can you guarantee that the Windows Update (SP3) is going to work? I am fed up with the PC dealer coming in and reload her system again and again....

I'm glad I found this old thread. Now, I don't feel so bad about trying to update my media player (and inadvertently Windows XP), which were installed by my gang at Pantip Plaza. Don't get me wrong, they've been helpful all these years and they do seem to be a pretty good bunch. I just wished they would have told me not to attempt any new updates. Here's what happened:

I love to listen to the radio on the internet so when I tried to open Windows Media Guide Internet Radio, it prompted me to update or no go. I must have been half asleep clicking next until my computer finally shut down. I rebooted again and there was a counterfeit message embedded on my desktop along with a resolve now or later prompt. For many days I kept clicking on the resolve later key, until finally my computer hit the skids and gave me the dreaded blue screen indicating that the hard drive has been damaged. Now, I can't even get the computer to boot up anymore :) .

This time, I bought a new computer that had the original XP already installed along with authentic drivers. Took me forever and a day to get all the updates installed, the whole nine yards of it. Now, I'm worried about installing any more pirated stuff on this new computer. I want Quick Time, but all I can find is pirated and I'm not spending 10k baht for it (I was told that was the price for the real thing). My fear is that if I install the pirated software, my regular Windows Update will scan my computer, find it and there will be trouble again. I'm not even sure if my Norton Internet Security will give it a green go ahead. What if they have some spyware, trojans and viruses etc. on there?!

10k bath for quicktime... you can download quicktime pro for around $25 us if not mistaken.

Thailand vendors and Pantip dealers in particular, are pretty brazen in their pirating practice, spawned from a national mind-set. Notice the inflammatory wording on this copy of Windows XP which I....ahem...came across....

post-21740-1253006131_thumb.jpg

I like the footnote on your CD:

"If you enjoy using Windows XP then please pay for it so poor Billy Gates don't go broke.

He'll be down to his last $10Billion if everybody pirates this software"

:)

I've seen many shops install pirated windows, but alias it simply comes down to price and lack of knowledge, plus I believe for what microsoft charges for a legit copy of windows in thailand is simply to expensive for the majority of people here, so I can't say I'm not surprised when windows piracy is high here. more than 5000 baht for a legit copy. I think it would just be better to train thai people to use linux ( although no guarantee that it would work ) I've long got done with windows after using ubuntu for my everyday needs. The only way I could actually say you need windows is simply for the work environment especially if the program you need is only for windows. I'm not talk about adobe photoshop I'm talking about programs thats more in use with a database system. I know linux could do it but the majority of reservation systems, accounting etc for most hotels require using windows. for almost every program there's an open source program examples include:

Internet Explorer = Chrome, Firefox, Safari

Windows Media / Quicktime = VLC Player

Adobe Photoshop = GIMP

Winzip / Winrar = Peazip

Microsoft Office = Open Office

Windows XP / Vista = Linux Alternative

FTP = file zilla

I think microsoft should figure out a better pricing scheme for thailand instead on charging thai users the same price as people in the west. Then they wonder how come piracy is so high here.

Here's my (small) list of free software...

Web browsers: Firefox / Chrome / Safari - All are good alternatives to Internet Explorer. Firefox is my browser of choice, but I also like Safari.

Windows Media / QT / Real = The KMPlayer, RealAlternative

Adobe Photoshop = Paint.NET

Winzip / Winrar = 7-Zip

Nero Burning ROM = ImgBurn

Free Anti-virus / Anti-malware (I highly recommended these):

Avira

Malwarebytes

SUPERAntiSpyware

Video editing / splitter / joiner:

Movica - A non-linear graphical editor for Windows Media (.wmv), MPEG files and FLV movies.

VirtualDub - AVI video capture/processing utility streamlined for fast linear operations over video. Supports batch processing.

Shell Extensions:

HashCheck - Calculate and verify checksums (CRC, MD5, SHA-1) from Windows Explorer.

HashTab - Similar to HashCheck, although some may prefer this one...

Unlocker - Delete 'locked' files and folders that are in use.

HiddenFilesToggle - Toggle the display of hidden files on and off via right-click context menu.

Other software:

Free Download Manager - I don't use download managers, but if you insist on using one, go with FDM. Also includes BT support.

Hotspot Shield - Free VPN. 'nuff said.

IcoFX - If editing icons is your thing, this is an excellent freeware alternative.

RocketDock - The one and only application launcher you'll ever need! Supports WinXP/Vista/Win7.

Virtual CloneDrive - Disc image emulator with a small memory footprint. Better than Daemon Tools and is 100% free.

Enjoy!

These news shouldn't really be news to anybody, I mean in terms of how common pirated software are. It is much more difficult to find the real ones in Thailand.

People are worried these programs won't work but the truth is if installed a proper pirate that is correctly cracked, it will have no problems what so ever. Even Windows updates should work flawlessly. It is true that all these have free alternatives, some of which even better than the commercial ones, but for most people Windows and MS Office are a must.

We can't really expect people over here to afford legal software, heck, most of my friends in western countries aren't willing to do it (thus using pirated ones).

I should start giving away my restore DVD to all people thinking of buying a new PC. Contains Windows OS, driver software (to download your drivers automatically) and pretty much everything else you'd need to get started :)

Best thing to do in the case of buying a PC with pirated software on is to just reformat it as soon as you get home or ask them to not install Windows which can save you some money (you get DOS instead). When I bought my laptop (from the UK) even though it was all genuine software installed when bought it all got wiped because the installed software actually made it perform worse.

Ian

I bought a new desktop at Airport Plaza a month back - I was told that it didn't come with an OS or software (just driver disks) - but they will put pirated on for me free If I want, "Is a problem for you?" the kind man asked.

Yikes, what did you do?

The place where I bought my computer had sold me one that also did not have the OS installed and they took me to a place where that pirate installed the software for 500 baht. It caused damage to my hard drive and I brought it back. After much ado (to put it very mildly), they gave me a new computer that had the authentic OS installed. I think the software caused the damage. But this is face saving Thailand where no self respecting person can be held liable. Now, after two damaged hard drives, most likely caused by pirated software, I'm more than just a wee bit nervous about it all. It's not like refunds are an option here. :)

I very much doubt that if the guy knew what he was doing would have damaged your drive...

Whatever, damaged new drives HAVE warranty. Even in Thailand. What drive did you get?

True, it's like with so many other things in Thailand. The customers blindly go for the cheapest "product" without thinking, they would rather pay 100 THB for a Windows XP installation and get crap and problems and have to come back then paying 1000 THB for a proper cracked version. We see these customers every day in our shop, and we simply don't want to go to such a low quality level to compete with the Thai shops' prices.

The problem is it's often a lot more than 1,000 THB for a proper legal (cracked? Was that a freudian lapse?) version. Check out the price of Adobe Suite in Thailand. It's over 100,000 - a LOT over. Then remember the same product can be licensed legally in USA for about half the Thai price. Where's the justice in that?

You should know that key-generators and whatever float around FREE. Now I don't want Adobe on my system. Its good software but it isn't what I need!

I use the Bat! for email, and yes its paid for. Comodo antivirus etc (plus some addons I wrote myself).

What I did to 2 years ago was sell them the real stuff, make no profit BUT charge for the install. Worked out to about the same end-result! AND I wasn't responsible for any crap MS put in... Now there are good copies but you have to know whats good...

Imagine the following situation: Real MS windows XP pro. sr2. You have to reinstall it...I found a good copy (I had to as I couldn't locate an sr3 version...). If you reinstall everything from scratch it can take you 2 days or more...

Using a copy sr3 (with real serial number) solved my problem! 2 hours and and everything was working!