I was reading with interest about the 500 Euro, which would be around 50k (Baht) and was wondering if is available at the airport, as it would be a great way to take 100k out of the country?[/size][/font]

€ 500 (note) = Baht 25,000 not 50K.

Maybe you should phone and ask at an airport bank and order the € 500 notes ?

note: are you talking 100K Baht, to be taken out of the country ? If so, that's 4 x € 500 notes....not a big deal.

If you're talking the equivalent of € 100,000 it's 200 notes of € 500.

:o

post-13995-1210760470_thumb.jpg post-13995-1210760494_thumb.png

...in many shops and other places where you have to pay, € 200 and € 500 notes won't be accepted; however, if you know people they will accept it. Last week in a restaurant they accepted a € 500 note.

LaoPo

Edited by Maestro

I was reading with interest about the 500 Euro, which would be around 50k (Baht) and was wondering if is available at the airport, as it would be a great way to take 100k out of the country?[/size][/font]

€ 500 (note) = Baht 25,000 not 50K.

Maybe you should phone and ask at an airport bank and order the € 500 notes ?

note: are you talking 100K Baht, to be taken out of the country ? If so, that's 4 x € 500 notes....not a big deal.

If you're talking the equivalent of € 100,000 it's 200 notes of € 500.

:o

post-13995-1210760470_thumb.jpg post-13995-1210760494_thumb.png

...in many shops and other places where you have to pay, € 200 and € 500 notes won't be accepted; however, if you know people they will accept it. Last week in a restaurant they accepted a € 500 note.

LaoPo

in Khonkaen or Phitsanuloke ? :D

Actually it was in a lovely restaurant called "Rest a while" (true ! but translated) and I'm not going to tell you where that was; Actually I had a lovely 1/2 dozen of oysters on Sunday in the same place and my friend paid...again :o

LaoPo

€ 500 notes - prefered demomination in drug transactions.

The problem if 'caught' carrying a large amount is to explain why you need to transport it as cash.

The next problem with much of the currency in circulation is that so much has been exposed to drugs at some point it might be seen as an interesting co-incidence.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone had a problem with a bank in Bangkok or Pattaya accepting a 500 Euro note? I could understand them taking a few minutes longer to check it, but other than that are they OK with them?

And I'm thinking of a major branch counter, not a small currency exchange "shop".

Has anyone had a problem with a bank in Bangkok or Pattaya accepting a 500 Euro note? I could understand them taking a few minutes longer to check it, but other than that are they OK with them?

And I'm thinking of a major branch counter, not a small currency exchange "shop".

even there no problem!

Good luck on trying to spend it if you do manage to find it. In the UK they think you are a crim if you have a £50 note, let alone a 500 euro (£300+) note.

When the Euro had just been introduced, I bought Euros in Bangkok before heading to the Netherlands. Thought I was lucky to get a 500 Euro note. Wrong, soon I found out no shop in Amsterdam was willing to accept it. I ended up going to a post office, requesting if they could split it up into 100 Euro notes. The guy gave me a very suspicious look, and told me they had run out of 100 Euro notes. Then I asked if they maybe had 50 Euro notes, and looking at me as if I were filth he put 10 50s on the counter.

Once back on the street I felt a bit sorry not having had the chance explaining him the reason for me holding a 500 Euro note was really not being a drug dealer.