A Separate Forum For Games Please

BenDan

Just a suggestion:

Can we have a separate forum for games i.e. "one word story" etc.? i'm not in the least bit interested in these games, yet i have to filter through lots of them to find interesting posts related to entertainment in Thailand.

Isn't that what the Farang Pub is for ? Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life

The blurb under the forum heading says "Thailand is legendary for it's entertainment, both traditional, and modern. Discuss Night Life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about everything Thailand. Because we live life to the fullest here!". That has nothing to do with "Change a letter", "Movie title Game", "Name a Book" and those such threads have completely taken over that forum.

Would be good if there was a place where we could discuss pubs, restaurants, night-life, etc. as the Farang Pub seems to have been intended for originally - now it's been swamped with these word games and other chat-room like threads. I would definitely be in favour of dumping all these "game" threads into their own separate forum.

Isn't that what the Farang Pub is for ? Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life

The blurb under the forum heading says "Thailand is legendary for it's entertainment, both traditional, and modern. Discuss Night Life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about everything Thailand. Because we live life to the fullest here!". That has nothing to do with "Change a letter", "Movie title Game", "Name a Book" and those such threads have completely taken over that forum.

Would be good if there was a place where we could discuss pubs, restaurants, night-life, etc. as the Farang Pub seems to have been intended for originally - now it's been swamped with these word games and other chat-room like threads. I would definitely be in favour of dumping all these "game" threads into their own separate forum.

Ah, I see now (said the blind man as he walked into the wall).

I haven't been in the "Pub" in ages, and generally avoid those kinds of threads (although I used to dabble in the TLW thread in 47 a long time ago). :o

Probably why I never noticed how bad it has been getting.

What about a sub-forum in the Pub ? The Arcade forum would probably be a better choice (maybe rename it to the Fun & Games forum and move all those threads into there ?).

It might take a while, but eventually everyone would learn to take the game stuff to the right place (or else !) :D

A separate forum, or sub forum, would make the most sense, but not as a sub-forum of the Pub forum - these game / chat-room threads have no connection at all with pubs and entertainment in Thailand and so it makes no sense to link them in any way to the that forum.

And I don't think it would take long for people to make the switch - if all the current word game threads were chucked in there, people would very quickly start going to the new forum/sub-forum. Any new threads started being promptly moved would also help get the message across quickly.

A separate forum, or sub forum, would make the most sense, but not as a sub-forum of the Pub forum - these game / chat-room threads have no connection at all with pubs and entertainment in Thailand and so it makes no sense to link them in any way to the that forum.

And I don't think it would take long for people to make the switch - if all the current word game threads were chucked in there, people would very quickly start going to the new forum/sub-forum. Any new threads started being promptly moved would also help get the message across quickly.

Seconded !

All in favour say "Aye" ! :o

If ya dun like pub as it is, pzzzzzzz orf with ya whinging

Pub is fun and entertaining, who needs sour grapes like you wannabe movers.

No-one's suggesting doing away with the word games, just moving them to a more appropriate place so that the forum which is supposed to be about pubbing and entertainment in Thailand can be used for just that, as originally intended.

well said young man :D

No-one's suggesting doing away with the word games, just moving them to a more appropriate place so that the forum which is supposed to be about pubbing and entertainment in Thailand can be used for just that, as originally intended.

Well Said Dan :o

Moss

Not to mention that these "word games" sometimes pop up in other forums as well.

If you want to play those kinds of games, I'm sure the effort of having to click a different link to get to them would be well worth the effort !

No sour grapes, just making a suggestion to move it to a more appropriate place as it is diluting the original intention of the Pub forum, if it is entertaining to some then it can be entertaining elsewhere, there is no suggestion to banish jokes etc. to the void and you can continue to post, where's the problem?

Moss

Guest Reimar
who's in charge here? will our wishes be granted, or what?

This Board is free for use without any guaranty! All work here is done by Volunteers free of charge and without payment to the volunteers!

The power to install a new forum or not is by the owner and/or admin only.

May if you use a bit more polite language and even sometimes some words like please or thank you or some like that, you may even will get an answer but you have to keep in mind that you just one of tens of thousands of members and that the owner/admin didn't jump if you show off!

This Board is free for use without any guaranty! All work here is done by Volunteers free of charge and without payment to the volunteers!

May if you use a bit more polite language and even sometimes some words like please or thank you or some like that, you may even will get an answer but you have to keep in mind that you just one of tens of thousands of members and that the owner/admin didn't jump if you show off!

What a bizarre way to reply to this thread.

Are there any moderators or admin out there who can give a constructive and helpful answer to this? If that post by Reimar is anything to go by, though, I don't hold out much hope...

To be fair Dan, if someone responded to me in this manner

I think I would be inclined to fire back a salvo too, perhaps not quite in this manner, but a salvo all the same.

Moss

The owners and Administration are in charge here, and I am sure that they would give consideration to such a request and act according to its merits in the interest of members as a WHOLE.

These requests may get a better response if they are accompanied by a sound argument as to why such a change would be beneficial to the Forum.

Posts such as the one quoted above are an excellent example of how not to go about soliciting changes and is probably the reason no response from Admin has been forthcoming.

There, I have tried to word my post as nicely as I could,of course my personal response to such a post would have been "Who the f#*%K do you think your talking to.? :o

ozzydom

moderating team

There, I have tried to word my post as nicely as I could,of course my personal response to such a post would have been "Who the f#*%K do you think your talking to.? :o

Particularly when the poster is in China and has a small number of posts :D

Personally I find the intermixing of the 'game' threads amusing. Whilst I do occasionally post in them I'm unlikely to go and look in a special forum for them, they don't interest me that much.

Whilst I do occasionally post in them I'm unlikely to go and look in a special forum for them, they don't interest me that much.

The same goes for quite a few people (myself included) I imagine, and is probably why the OP made the request. Those that enjoy those games would be able to do so to their hearts content, while the main theme behind the forum (i.e. Farang Pub) would be less cluttered with threads that have nothing to do with that theme.

Guest Reimar

Are there any moderators or admin out there who can give a constructive and helpful answer to this? If that post by Reimar is anything to go by, though, I don't hold out much hope...

It wasn't an answer to the thread but to the post: "who's in charge here? will our wishes be granted, or what?" from BenSan, and to point to that I had even quoted that post in my answer.

And the answer you asked for you got already: Owner and/or Admin! Or do you not understand that the Mod's do NOT have any power to other than moderating?

Instead of lament to the wrong persons, you could easy ask the right one? Or isn't it?!

Cheers.

These requests may get a better response if they are accompanied by a sound argument as to why such a change would be beneficial to the Forum.

OK, I agree with this, but I would suggest certain sound reasoning have been put forward for an affiliated sub-forum to the games room.

Posts such as the one quoted above are an excellent example of how not to go about soliciting changes and is probably the reason no response from Admin has been forthcoming.

This is not a valid response, because one poster decides to be obtuse and several others have put together independent and polite proposals, although not a concerted effort to have a change in direction, is not a reason for non-response, I would suggest the reason is down to time and importance and relevance of the said proposal and not ' throwing the toys out of the pram' because of an unhelpful comment.

OK, I'll have a bash.

Thailand is legendary for it's entertainment, both traditional, and modern. Discuss Night Life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about everything Thailand. Because we live life to the fullest here!

This is the description and by-line of the 'Pub', and this what you get The Pub do they bear any resemblance?

There is already a Jokes, Puzzles and Riddles Room and an Arcade do we actually need another forum diluted by the same Tomfoolery which denigrates from the actual purpose of its original intent.

Another problem associated with the Pub, is because people do not know it's real identity they post out of place topics and miscellany into it, this is not helped by the same out of place posts in other fora being subjected to the litany of, 'Off to the Pub'.

Keep the relative forums to their own perspective.

I have actually participated in the Pub and its anarchic japes, but I am only suggesting a proper content for the relevant Forum.

Moss

Moss, In the eight days since the OP started this thread there has only been 3 or 4 members advocating such a change and about the same number saying leave as is.

Not exactly an overwhelming vote of confidence in the affirmative. :o In fact a distinct lack of interest all round.

Ok, as a regular poster in the Pub I should put in my thoughts.

For context, I love the geography based games: Whats the City/Place, and occassionally, if feeling a bit witty (?), throw in a line or two on the continuing stories threads.

I can see both sides of the debate. There is certainly a profusion of the word games of late, and they have pretty well taken over the sub forum. They would fit in to the "Fun" category I suppose. I am aware a lot of people use these types of threads to get their post counts up and there will always be a demand for something of this type on TV. But a seperate section?

At the same time, there are very few new threads dealing with "Pub, Entertainment & Expat Life". Part of the reason would be the very strict rules about exactly what can be discussed about night life in LOS. (Perhaps an easing of these rules could liven up the forum :o, but that's another subject again :D ) Or it could be that the place is overwhealmed by the "Fun" games and people don't want to wade through them to get to what interests them. A clearing out could get things moving again.

What about threads that encompass both categories? The classic "What Luscious Liquids..." could be one of those. :D:D

Would the two types of threads survive and thrive if seperated into their own sub-categories? I don't know the best solution for all punters. Perhaps a couple of the more inane word games could be closed down occassionally to tidy things up a bit. (But don't touch the ones I like! :D)

There you go, I've come down firmly on the fence, and unfortunately "fun and Entertainment" might be out for a couple of days. :D