200 Busted A Day Since Cellphone Ban

george

200 busted a day since cellphone ban

BANGKOK: -- A week after the ban on using cellphones while driving came into effect, city police found 1,294 violators, or some 200 cases per day, a senior official said Thursday.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Pol MajGen Panu Kerdlarppol said the police did not have additional manpower to effectively reinforce the new rule, because the offense was considered petty.

He also admitted police had some difficulties in imposing the ban including the inability to see through tinted car windows especially in the rain or at night time to check if the motorists were using cell phones.

-- The Nation 2008-05-15

If you want to have a little fun (and your not busy), just hold one hand next to your ear and see what happens! I made the mistake of scratching my head when I went by a policeman. He spent about 10 minutes searching my vehicle for a phone!

He also admitted police had some difficulties in imposing the ban including the inability to see through tinted car windows especially in the rain or at night time to check if the motorists were using cell phones.

-- The Nation 2008-05-15

Isn't that an offence as well.Thought the law only allowed max 40% tinted.But yeah that one is reserved for the next crackdown because you can't expect those bib to check multiple offences at the same time.

should be easy enough to catch the ones on the motorbikes

I find it difficult to use my phone with my helmet on.

Does that mean I will be paying two fines? :o

I feel sorry for the police who are genuinely trying to stop people on the road who are breaking the rules, but are impeded from doing so.

Imagine how many accidents would be prevented if there were more police resources, and if their vision was not obscured (by tinted glass, rain, darkness).

The police can't afford stopping people in the middle of the morning traffic, in fact they would do anything not to interrupt traffic flow. Sometimes there's only one policeman at the intersection. If he leaves his post to arrest people with mobile phones, no one will be there to change the lights.

The whole process needs to be automated first. Offending cars shouldn't be stopped, traffic tickets should be send by mail instead.

On the plus side, the buzz about this new law makes people more conscious about using their phones. The goal is to make everyone use hands free, fining people is only one of the methods towards it, maybe not even the most effective.

The police can't afford stopping people in the middle of the morning traffic, in fact they would do anything not to interrupt traffic flow. Sometimes there's only one policeman at the intersection. If he leaves his post to arrest people with mobile phones, no one will be there to change the lights.

The whole process needs to be automated first. Offending cars shouldn't be stopped, traffic tickets should be send by mail instead.

On the plus side, the buzz about this new law makes people more conscious about using their phones. The goal is to make everyone use hands free, fining people is only one of the methods towards it, maybe not even the most effective.

Wrong. All the lights are automated. The cops just turn off the automation and play "traffic king".

There's been a significant increase in motorbike helmet wearers where I live (Khon Kaen) in the last 4 years since the police started clamping down - I can only hope there's a significant reduction in drivers who believe they have the ability to drive and hold a mobile conversation at the same time.

Most car driving Thai road users fail the ability to drive safely period - never mind with a phone glued to their ear. This is particularly bad in the case of bloody Thai women driving their husbands 5 litre gas guzzling Isuzu pickups and off-roaders - 95% of whom would be banned from driving in the UK within days (not that they'd be able to pass the UK road test).

Its time the government introduced a proper driving test for people instead of the Micky Mouse system they use currently.

Its a pity there isn't a radar gun that detects mobile phone usage in cars - I'd equip all the Thai traffic police and target all the blacked out car window drivers who can drive around with impunity.

Just think of the fun they'd have !

Its a pity there isn't a radar gun that detects mobile phone usage in cars - I'd equip all the Thai traffic police and target all the blacked out car window drivers who can drive around with impunity.

Just think of the fun they'd have !

Ummmmmm.......... What about passangers using a mobile? What a waste of time a "mobile detector gun" would be.

Ummmmmm.......... What about passangers using a mobile? What a waste of time a "mobile detector gun" would be.

Yeah - after all - whats a few accidents and road deaths here and there matter.

-- The Nation 2008-05-15

Isn't that an offence as well.Thought the law only allowed max 40% tinted.But yeah that one is reserved for the next crackdown because you can't expect those bib to check multiple offences at the same time.

I agree with the tinting, when I bought my Isuzu MU-7 I opted for the factory installed tinting, which is perfectly adequate for the climate and no problems from the police.

Edited by Garry