Violent Mugging In Rawai

Macx

Talk is cheap.

This will be construed as foreign criticism and we all know how Thais respond to criticism.

There might be an increased police presence for a week, but, nothing will change.

Not sure how you can say this after apparantly the UK Amabassador has listened and is doing something.

Looks to me like this email campaign is getting something done. Doing nothing except belittling those that do is very sad.

My eyes have been opened. I just emailed my embassy. Thanks Bagsida

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the article is here, at least the Brits do something.....and talking is better than nothing.

Guess the Amis have other probs at these moment :o:D :D

from Phuket Gazette

PHUKET CITY: Following a wave of Phuket Gazette reports of crimes against foreigners in recent weeks, British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle today voiced his concern over the personal safety of British citizens in Phuket.

Speaking to the Gazette at the Royal Phuket City Hotel this morning, Mr Quayle said, “I think safety is a worrying aspect…

[safety] is one of the things I will be talking with the governor about. Crime happens all over the world – we have a lot in Britain – but if there is a particular spate of attacks targeting tourists or targeting people on motorcycles, one would expect the authorities to take some countermeasures,” he said.

Although Mr Quayle said he had been informed of a police manpower shortage on the island, he said, “If crime is going up, then the measures need to somehow react to that. Policemen can’t be everywhere, but if there is a pattern like that, then you would imagine there would be some sort of reaction to it.”

Possible solutions included more plainclothes officers patrolling on motorbikes and increased surveillance around the island, said Mr Quayle.

“I understand there is a problem with lighting and that the streets are quite dark, so these may be issues for the governor,” he added.

As part of his two-day visit to Phuket, Mr Quayle will meet Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit tomorrow.

Mr Quayle said that crime affects all types of tourists on Phuket: short-stay visitors, long-stay property buyers and those attracted by the marine tourism industry.

“One of the attractions of coming to Thailand is that it is a comparatively safe country, so this is an issue that needs some attention,” he added.

While in Phuket, Mr Quayle will visit British citizens incarcerated in Phuket Provincial Prison. “In Thailand there are about 50 Brits in prisons; in Phuket there are just two [british] prisoners.

“We have a consular responsibility to look after Brits who get in trouble. I will go and [visit] them, see how they are, see if they have any requirements we can help them with, and see the conditions in the prison,” he said.

Mr Quayle added that almost one million Brits visit Thailand every year, “which creates a lot of consular issues,” he noted

PHUKET CITY: Following a wave of Phuket Gazette reports of crimes against foreigners in recent weeks, British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle today voiced his concern over the personal safety of British citizens in Phuket.

Speaking to the Gazette at the Royal Phuket City Hotel this morning, Mr Quayle said, “I think safety is a worrying aspect…

“[safety] is one of the things I will be talking with the governor about. Crime happens all over the world – we have a lot in Britain – but if there is a particular spate of attacks targeting tourists or targeting people on motorcycles, one would expect the authorities to take some countermeasures,” he said.

Although Mr Quayle said he had been informed of a police manpower shortage on the island, he said, “If crime is going up, then the measures need to somehow react to that. Policemen can’t be everywhere, but if there is a pattern like that, then you would imagine there would be some sort of reaction to it.”

Possible solutions included more plainclothes officers patrolling on motorbikes and increased surveillance around the island, said Mr Quayle.

“I understand there is a problem with lighting and that the streets are quite dark, so these may be issues for the governor,” he added.

As part of his two-day visit to Phuket, Mr Quayle will meet Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit tomorrow.

Mr Quayle said that crime affects all types of tourists on Phuket: short-stay visitors, long-stay property buyers and those attracted by the marine tourism industry.

“One of the attractions of coming to Thailand is that it is a comparatively safe country, so this is an issue that needs some attention,” he added.

While in Phuket, Mr Quayle will visit British citizens incarcerated in Phuket Provincial Prison. “In Thailand there are about 50 Brits in prisons; in Phuket there are just two [british] prisoners.

“We have a consular responsibility to look after Brits who get in trouble. I will go and [visit] them, see how they are, see if they have any requirements we can help them with, and see the conditions in the prison,” he said.

Mr Quayle added that almost one million Brits visit Thailand every year, “which creates a lot of consular issues,” he noted

:o

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. A company here in Phuket offered to place 8,000 litter bins and 8,000 recycling stations around the Province ABSOLUTELY FREE to the Province of Phuket. Not only that but it would have paid the Province over THB 10 million per year, paid the municipalities another THB 10 million per year, and contributed still another THB 10 million to local children's charities. The governor didn't even answer the offer let alone give the go ahead. Will he react differently to pressure from farangs to spend money on more police, street lighting and other measures? Mai kit var.

So glad to see this topic has received so much attention and debate. And good on the British Ambassador for taking note .... and good on all the TV members who have written to their embassies regarding this matter.

Change does not happen until collective voices shout!

I just moved back to Nai Harn/ Rawai area after being absent last high season. I am actually smack bang right in the middle of the Hotspot on Soi Sai Yuan, around the corner from where most of the violent muggings have occurred - near Icon Bar, Soi Cokmakham, Islander Bar, etc.

It makes me sick to the stomach because I know/ or have met socially many of the victims and they are just like you and me - here "enjoying" life, working hard or retired and so on.

At the moment, I am quite careful about going out at night - after 9pm, let alone post midnight - because of this traumatising situation. When I do need to go out - to the 7/11 or internet cafe or god forbid - A BAR! - I need to think about what to leave at home, what I can afford to lose if mugged/ attacked.... ie. my glasses, my ATM cards, my phone, even my pawpaw ointment!!!

When I am cycling home late at night with my laptop after work - I am ruly truly super nervous .... I am sure you get the picture?

It's all about quality of life for the residents who have invested their lives here and the safety of tourists who trust Thailand as their no. 1 holiday destination - it's not about drunk farang sexpats who go to late night bars and get what they deserve - like some care to think.

Let's keep the pressure up! If you know any journalists tell them.... if you know any Aussie victims, tell me. Cos a rule of journalism goes that the press is only interested in its own....

Keep it rolling! :o

I fail to see the relavence of bins compared to peronal safety. There have been loads of coments here about what a waste of time complaing is to police. embassies etc.

We are now getting replies from the police in the Gazette, the British Ambassador has expressed concern [ to my complete amazement, they are usually the worst embassy in the world].

OK we have the brits complaining diplomatically, where is the German, Swedish, Norwegian etc.

Some of you have nice places, invite them down to spend a couple of days with you, they like a freebie. Invite them down.

Come on guy's we might even win this one. Do us all a favour keep the pressure on.

If you want to entertain them they can come round here, I will shove BBQ bratwurst and strange lager down them till they burst lol.

I wrote to my Embassy (UK) a few weeks ago and have also alerted the world’s press. However I feel the same as khall64au and some of the other posters. I have bars on my windows, triple locks on the doors and don’t feel comfortable going out after dark.

I can put up with this for a while but there are plenty of places in the world where I can live and work and not feel like I am under siege. I am just starting to wonder about the wisdom of staying here and starting to look for alternatives.

Some of you have nice places, invite them down to spend a couple of days with you, they like a freebie. Invite them down.
Considering how I feel about this, that would mean they will have a nice couple of days, and afterwards going home feeling good safe.

I have no bars on the windows, normal locks, and feel perfectly at home and safe here (and BTW, at home is in Rawai, very close to Baan Sai Yuan, which i pass every day at least a couple of times).

I have no bars on the windows, normal locks, and feel perfectly at home and safe here (and BTW, at home is in Rawai, very close to Baan Sai Yuan, which i pass every day at least a couple of times).

Yes, I made that mistake, too, until I was woken my a masked Thai man sitting on my chest with a machete at my throat.

:o If you don't like getting robbed here, just go home you stupid farangs. Give Thais your money and leave.

I remember a stupid American getting chopped up in Phuket last couple of years ago and she whinned about helping a Thai man's wife from being chopped up with a machete. If you don't like living here and going to all the tourist national parks paying 200 baht, just go back to your country.

this is correct, the police are cockroaches in uniforms. they don't care if you live or die-get it you stupid Key Nok.

:o If you don't like getting robbed here, just go home you stupid farangs. Give Thais your money and leave.

I remember a stupid American getting chopped up in Phuket last couple of years ago and she whinned about helping a Thai man's wife from being chopped up with a machete. If you don't like living here and going to all the tourist national parks paying 200 baht, just go back to your country.

this is correct, the police are cockroaches in uniforms. they don't care if you live or die-get it you stupid Key Nok.

Somebody forgot to take their meds today.

OK we have the brits complaining diplomatically, where is the German, Swedish, Norwegian etc.

The germans were the fastest and without some german members here in TV Forum, NOBODY had done something

so may be its a good idea reading some posts BEFORE complaining... :o

@ UKBIRD F.O. or post something normaly

[hehe, just forgot WHY I want post something here.

Yesterday evening I see the police working in Sayuan about 22:00 they stopped some young ppl on motobikes

First time I saw Police on Motobikes there during nighttime.....IT WORKS

I had a feeling it was about time for the "Go Home, Go Home" club to put in an appearence.

What always intrigues me about the Go Home Club is they seem to think there are only two places in the world: Thailand and Home. A reductionist model at best.

UKBirdPoo as a newbie here please understand we have all heard a billion times the "you don't like it here, go home" B.S.

Also where do you come off with "get it you stupid Key Nok"?

So do yourself a huge favor, contribute to the board in a positive manner with ideas, solutions, good input, or take your own advice.

"GO AWAY"

Hahaha. I actually like getting robbed so I'm going to stay.

Hahaha. I actually like getting robbed so I'm going to stay.

I guess it makes for good blog reading Vanalli! :D

Have seen a few police patrol cars in Nai Harn over past 24 hrs - that's a good thing.

Bangkok Phuket Hospital? Why would you even think of going there? (GORY DETAILS TO FOLLOW)

My best friend went in there with a kidney stone just outside the kidney in the Urethra. They had to go in using a catheter (help me Geri...) to grab it with a basket. The Urologist made an attempt to grab it, and failed to get it, but pushed it up back into the Kidney. I am no surgeon, but this makes it worse, I am told.

They left a stint inside him, and told him to go home with the stint for 10 days. A stint is long like a coffee straw, and has to curly ends on each side. One end is inside the Kidney and the other inside the bladder. It is supposed to dilate the Urethra and help the stone pass.

With the botched attempt and 2 days in a 2 person room, they made him pay 156,000 ThB.

His wife's C-Section at Phuket International was 45,000 in a VIP room for 6 days.

Sorry for the gory details, but that place (BPH) should be burned to the ground.

Of course, when he asked for a discount. They gave him 5% off.

I think this should be a whole new thread...

~a~

Of course you forget to tell everyone that

1. He opted for this procedure

2. He was aware that retraction of the stone into the kidney was a possible outcome 15% of the time

3. The reason he opted for this procedure was for a quick fix to a chronic problem, and a fix needed to carry a clean bill of health for a new insurance policy he was to be issued in Malaysia. So it would appear from his test that he didn't have a chronic Kidney stone problem. i.e. insurance fraud?

4. He was charged the price for the procedure, nothing less or more.

Hospital care is expensive, people don't realize that until they are sick. I'm sure your friend didn't enjoy his experience, but let's tell the truth when we want to publicly bash a buisness.

News! :o

Thursday, June 5, 2008

BIS calls for donations for mugging victim

PHUKET CITY: The British International School Phuket (BIS) is asking for donations to help pay medical bills for former student Jake Carey, one of two BIS community members seriously injured in a motorbike crash that resulted from a violent mugging in Patong early Sunday morning.

The other victim was Carly Moorhouse, who graduated from BIS last week and is the daughter of well known local property developer Paul Moorhouse.

Dean Smart, a close friend of the couple who was out celebrating with them on Saturday night, told the Gazette that Jake, 21, and Carly, 17, were riding together on a motorbike in Patong about 3 am, after having eaten at Burger King.

As they were riding home along the beach road, two men on another motorbike pulled up from behind and pulled on Carly's handbag in an attempt to steal it, he said.

The force of the pull caused the motorbike to crash into a wall opposite the Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa, leaving Jake unconscious.

The thieves made off with the handbag, which contained cash, credit cards, ATM cards, a camera and other valuables, said Dean, who parted with the couple about an hour-and-a-half earlier.

Carly and Jake were found by Tourist Police officers and taken to Patong Hospital for initial treatment. They were later transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket where they continue to recover.

Jake, a BIS alumni currently working for the school's Flying Fish Swim Club as an instructor, suffered multiple injuries, including a concussion, a compound fracture of the leg requiring surgical implantation of a metal plate, a broken collar bone and bruised ribs.

Carly suffered liver damage and internal bleeding that required surgical removal of her spleen, as well injuries to her tongue and jaw that will require plastic surgery.

Also recently graduated from the school, Dean said that the attack had left the BIS community in shock, as nothing like it had ever happened before.

Carly had been planning to fly to Australia on Sunday, he said.

Today's plea for financial assistance from BIS arises from the fact that Jake is uninsured, Dean said.

In today's letter to BIS parents and guardians, BIS Head of Secondary Nick Botting writes, "Although Jake is making an excellent recovery, the extent of his treatment, including operations, means that a large hospital bill has now been amassed. In order to offset these significant costs, the Flying Fish Swim Club has agreed to make a large donation.

"Students can help out by attending Jake's Football Bash, which will take place on Saturday, June 21. If you would like to make a contribution, please send donations in a sealed envelope to the Headmaster's Office where a fund is being set up."

The violence against Jake and Carey has occurred just three days after UK Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle, on a visit to Phuket from Bangkok, told the Gazette that he was concerned about the current wave of crime against foreigners here.

"[safety] is one of the things I will be talking with the governor [of Phuket] about. Crime happens all over the world – we have a lot in Britain – but if there is a particular spate of attacks targeting tourists or targeting people on motorcycles, one would expect the authorities to take some countermeasures," he said.

Phuket, Thailand

19:15 local time (GMT +7)

For what it's worth, I have written the US embassy with my concern over Phuket safety. Aside from the frequent news like that above, some of my neighbors as well as myself have been burglarized. They come in the night and if if I wasn't such a deep sleeper a violent confrontation would certainly take place. What outcome then??? I see the Governor related a story in the last Gazette about a woman being robbed in front of his house! You would think he lived in a safe area.

For what it's worth, I have written the US embassy with my concern over Phuket safety. Aside from the frequent news like that above, some of my neighbors as well as myself have been burglarized.

Thanks for YOUR letter to the Embassy, every single letter helps I think.

which area are you living lordofdelusion? sounds like sayuan or baan konti :o guess it is better not to wake up while burglars are in the house, or be quiet and shoot or criple them like they deserve it. Talked with a policeman once, he told me dont kill them or you will get a prob too. But you can cut there arm of and really hurt them BEFORE you call the police......the other side is, sooner or later they are out from jail :D

The money for the recovery of the Patong mugging should be deducted from the next Policemens salary in Patong. Beachroad? at this time and they not catched them???? SHAME

Mods, could you please change the title or subtitle of the thread to "Recent Violent Crimes Against Foreigners" to reflect the fact that it has links to multiple crimes and not just the one mugging in Rawai? Or, perhaps, split into several threads? Thanks.

Just dropped by again to see how things are progressing. Well the thread is ploughing along in the same fashion with the same jibes and counter jibes by the same suspects. Anyhow a couple of points:-

1. Some people have intimated, some even said outright, that anybody out on the streets early hours of the morning should expect, with the further innuendo that they deserve, to be mugged. If this is so can I ask is there a curfew in operation on Phuket? People on holiday often do things that they would never think of doing back home, like getting up early snd going for a walk to watch the sunrise. Should these people curb their desires because they may become victims of street crime and cause embarrasment to Phuket and Thailand? I ask these questions because it is important that tourists are given the best and most comprehensive information possible.

2. If you impose a curfew on the island do you really think the criminals, starved of victims, will just pack up and go away? There are plenty of remote spots for daytime criminal activities as has been sadly demonstrated. Maybe the Korean vacation principle of herding tourists around under the watchful eye of a flag bearing guide should be emloyed. Then the criminals would just circle the group picking off wayward individuals or stragglers who obviously deserved it for not keeping up.

3. The above two points apply mostly to tourists. What about bona fide farang residents? There must be occassion for them to be out after hours, early morning fishing trip is one that springs to mind. Can the police not assure them of their safety whilst going about their perfectly legal activities?

4. We are all so worried about the effects of crime on fellow farangs and tourism but what about the Thai population? They too must also be victims but who cares for them?

Crime affects everybody farang/Thai, rich/poor and it is the government's, national and local, and the police duty to protect all people, citizens and guests, from harm.

PS hats off to the British consul for getting off his ar5e and doing something. Whether it has an effect or not is academic but it is one in the eye for the whinging tw@ts who bleat about the British embassy doing nothing to help anyone. Can't remember the exact words or who said them (save being an American -Lincoln?) but "All it takes is for good men to do nothing for evil to triumph".

PPS don't think you are safe behind your barred windows and triple locked doors. On a recent project in the Philippines a colleague and his wife were asleep safe behind such security. The crims merely fired a CS grenade between the bars and through a window. Our man and wife stagger out the front door choking and the thugs barged past wearing gas masks and ransacked the place.

People are unfairly hard on Bangkok Hospital. I don't think that their prices are a secret and as far as I'm aware, their staff are quite capable.

I would have to agree, and their prices are not a secret at all. It's a private buisness with different price ranges for different parts of the market. It is also the most expensive hospital in Phuket, no doubt. Look at the place, who do you think pays for all of that. Though I've found the service excellent, and quite impressive. After my experience with them, i've come away with two ideas,

1. Most people don't expect hospitals to be as expensive as they are, and especially as expensive as BPK is, (mainly so to reap as much from the insurance companies as possible) unfortunate (but there is watchira) for the tourist or x-pat without medical insurance.

2. Most people don't take the patience and time to understand what has been done, or why it has been done (the "yeah doc, make it go away" syndrome), and come away with a miss-understanding of what happened.