Just Got Here . . .

HardenedSoul

I've bought a One-2-Call SIM card on PAYG and the obligatory top-up. I think I'm getting hosed on the cost of calling back to the UK. Seems like the equivalent of about 50p a minute which is more than i was told to expect. Is there a cheaper option or am I just being tight. I sent a text to the UK and was charged 42.62 baht - now that ain't cheap - works out about 68p . . . .

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can reduce these costs as I have to be on the blower to London fairly regularly ?

Oh, and if I'm dialling a local (Bangkok) number from my mobile, do I have to put some sort of prefix before dialling the main 8-digit number ?

Sorry if this has been asked many times but my search didn't yield any useful solutions.

Thanks and apologies for what may seem like daft questions

Yep ^^^ 001 is the most expensive system, but is pretty well guaranteed to work.

009 is a LOT cheaper, but you cannot send texts. Other prefixes 008, 007 etc etc also work at slightly different call rates but in my experience 009 is cheapest.

If you're on the phone a lot and have decent internet consider one of the VOIP systems (Skype is the best known), dial out to UK landlines and mobiles for a nominal fee :o

EDIT BKK numbers start 02.......

Edited by Crossy

If you us the + symbol, as in +44 xxx-- then it will default to 001 ... the most expensive.

007 is next cheapest while still good quality.

009 is the cheapest with a further reduction in quality.

Just find which one suits your requirements for cost/connection quality.

Naka.

Edited by naka