Ring And Cylindrical Magnets: Where To Buy?

m02

Does anyone know of a place to buy science project quality magnets in Chiangmai? Just about any type will do to start with: Ferrite (ceramic) like those used in speaker assemblies, Neodymium, SmCo, or AlNiCo. Don't need custom sizes, off the shelf will do.

Ran all over town a while back and found some ring ceramic speaker magnets at Amon that would work fine, except I can't use them as they are glued to a metal core and won't come apart without breaking.

On Maninopharat Road (north side of the moat) there are 3 computer plazas close together. To the immediate left of one of them (I think maybe ICON) there is a "Radio Shack" type shop that sells all manner of electrical and circuit board type items.

On Maninopharat Road (north side of the moat) there are 3 computer plazas close together. To the immediate left of one of them (I think maybe ICON) there is a "Radio Shack" type shop that sells all manner of electrical and circuit board type items.

That's Amon (or however its spelled...) where I bought the ceramic speaker assembly I can't use. There used to be a science store almost on the opposite side of the old town, but they either moved or went out of business. I don't know of any other science store in the city. Surawong bookstore has cheap kids stuff that is no good. Stopped by the University thinking the bookstore there might carry something but hadn't been there in years and it was gone. Maybe should stop by the Faculty of Science and see if anyone there knows anything... Thanks

That's Amon (or however its spelled...) where I bought the ceramic speaker assembly I can't use. There used to be a science store almost on the opposite side of the old town, but they either moved or went out of business. I don't know of any other science store in the city. Surawong bookstore has cheap kids stuff that is no good. Stopped by the University thinking the bookstore there might carry something but hadn't been there in years and it was gone. Maybe should stop by the Faculty of Science and see if anyone there knows anything... Thanks

Does it have to be a solid ring? Every computer hard drive has two 1/4 circle magnets located above and below the base of the read/write arm. VERY, VERY powerful magnets! I mean REALLLLLY powerful little fellows. One of them would be strong enough to pick up a roofing hammer..... Four of them end to end would give you a ring.

Buy a couple of dead hard drives from the shops in Icon square and disassemble them. I paid about 100 baht a piece for the ones I bought. Open the case (usually requires torx screw drivers,) remove the screws from the cover of the read/write arm and remove that. You will now need either a bench vise or two very large vice-grips to bend the cover so you can pry off the magnet. No way in hel_l can you just lift it off. These things put out the juice!

Does it have to be a solid ring? Every computer hard drive has two 1/4 circle magnets located above and below the base of the read/write arm. VERY, VERY powerful magnets! I mean REALLLLLY powerful little fellows. One of them would be strong enough to pick up a roofing hammer..... Four of them end to end would give you a ring.

Buy a couple of dead hard drives from the shops in Icon square and disassemble them. I paid about 100 baht a piece for the ones I bought. Open the case (usually requires torx screw drivers,) remove the screws from the cover of the read/write arm and remove that. You will now need either a bench vise or two very large vice-grips to bend the cover so you can pry off the magnet. No way in hel_l can you just lift it off. These things put out the juice!

That's an idea; they really do need to be rings, but maybe they could be put on an iron washer just to play around with until I get regular ones. I might even have a couple dead hard drives laying around I can tear apart - knew there was a reason I didn't throw them out... :o

That's an idea; they really do need to be rings, but maybe they could be put on an iron washer just to play around with until I get regular ones. I might even have a couple dead hard drives laying around I can tear apart - knew there was a reason I didn't throw them out... :o

Be careful! In all my years of tinkering I have NEVER seen small magnets this strong before. I accidentally pinched my finger tip between them and it raised a blood blister! You can't pull two of them apart; you have to slide them apart!