Registering Computer W/thai Customs

I bought a computer here in Thailand and I will soon leave from the airport but wiii return in 7 to 10 months. I have heard I should register my computer with Thai customs agents at the airport so I dont have to pay duty on it when I bring it back into the country later. Can anyone tell me if this proceedure is worthwhile and is it difficult or time consuming. the cost of the laptop was 17,000 bht or a little over $500 US dollars.

Not a bad idea, but I've never tried it... if you encounter problems registering at customs, carry along an invoice originating in Thailand to show on re-entry. Or, pay a helpful store owner to issue you one?

You should be able to register at any customs office, including border crossings like Nong Khai, etc. Perhaps the main office in Bkk?

I can't imagine why you would need to bother. Unless you are bring the laptop back to Thailand in its original packaging, what differentiates you from the thousands of people who routinely enter Thailand daily with a laptop and with no corresponding hassle from Thai customs?

I can't imagine why you would need to bother. Unless you are bring the laptop back to Thailand in its original packaging, what differentiates you from the thousands of people who routinely enter Thailand daily with a laptop and with no corresponding hassle from Thai customs?
Ditto

I brought a laptop in Thailand which I have brought back to Thailand about 6 times now. I've never had any problems and wasn't even aware that it needed to be registered with customs. I also claimed the VAT back on it the first time I left which is a really easy procedure.

Total waste of time I think, they don't care and I have flown in with 3 laptops valued at 100,000 each without any issues several times. The most they do is make sure it works. Also if it has a Thai keyboard it is obvious that it was purchased here :-)

Ditto

I travel out/in 6 times a year on average and never had problem one with customs. In fact I have never even been stopped by customs.

On my first trip to LOS, thru DMK, I went to the customs as I had some stuff.

I asked them what the procedure was.

They gave me a pitying look and waved me on.

2 - 3 times a year since then, neva once have I approached to customs, I realise nobody does.

I have seen people being searched, always a chinese, neva a Thai or farang.