.vbs Virus Via Usb..thumbdrive

Baa_Mango

grr i got this terrible .vbs from a (stupid) friend of mine.. Came off his thumbdrive and copied onto all areas of my laptop. I dont know exactly what virus it is except its exploits autorun and its .vbs.. i have tried a ton of things.. nod32 catches it but can not kill it. i probably have 40 instances of svchost running right now also.. hmm.. need help... pls pls!

The most annoying thing about this is that all the searching ive done on google has been fairly fruitless.. probably because i havent identified the exact worm/virus yet i guess..

Have had that before. Quite nasty indeed. The .vbs files hides itself in c:\windows\system32 and runs itself automatically when you boot your machine. It adds an autorun.inf file into each drive. Right click then Explore might be the only way to get into drives. It may even disable both the Folder options and the Task Manager.

I got that out with Dr.Web's CureIt (courtesy of Reimar) which can downloaded for free at http://freedrweb.com/

Avira Antivir does a good job of detecting and handling vbs files in flash drives.

Hope this helps

Once it's gone, download Windows PowerToys and disable all Auto-start for all external drives. Flash, CD, whatever.

With autostart disabled, these viruses can't get onto your computer from external drives.