Foreign Exchange Rates

I know there have been onshore and offshore exchange rates for the Baht/$/£, and that one generally gets more Baht by exchanging in Thailand rather than in one's home country.

But what rate does a bank, e.g., Bangkok Bank, use when accepting an electronic wire transfer from a US/UK bank to Bangkok bank. For example, today Bangkok bank lists on its website $/Baht exchange rates of 31.73, 31.90, and 32.00 for Buying Rate (50-100 note), Sight Bill, and Travelers Checks, respectively.

I understand these rates are lower than today's average exchange rate which seems to be about 32.3, because that is likely how Bangkok bank makes its profit, but which of the above (or maybe its a 4th rate?) is used for the wire transfer exchange?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but in my search I could not find it so.

I know there have been onshore and offshore exchange rates for the Baht/$/£, and that one generally gets more Baht by exchanging in Thailand rather than in one's home country.

But what rate does a bank, e.g., Bangkok Bank, use when accepting an electronic wire transfer from a US/UK bank to Bangkok bank. For example, today Bangkok bank lists on its website $/Baht exchange rates of 31.73, 31.90, and 32.00 for Buying Rate (50-100 note), Sight Bill, and Travelers Checks, respectively.

I understand these rates are lower than today's average exchange rate which seems to be about 32.3, because that is likely how Bangkok bank makes its profit, but which of the above (or maybe its a 4th rate?) is used for the wire transfer exchange?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but in my search I could not find it so.

Go to : http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-pvsexchange.htm

Siam Commercial Bank

You'll notice that the rates change several times per day.

Those rates are the "real" ones, the ones you get when you (or a business) make a transfert to Thailand, or from Thailand.

Edited by cclub75

As others say the rate changes a few times a day - the spread between the current real spot rate and the rate which you get is as you say the bank's profit on the exchange.

Getting the timing perfect to your benifit is a hard task and likely to only benifit you a small amount - play with some figures to see the effect of a typical's days movement on your overall end to end exchange.

Getting the lowest fees may help you get the best from the entire deal, making a move to a different bank might pay for the differance depending on the total value of your transaction and whether this is a one off or start of a series of transactions.

As you only refer to the general process, if thsi is one of a series of transactions; if you have your own account with a Thai bank you might be look at a bulk transfer to your account then using internet banking to move smaller amounts from there.

HTH