Accommodation In Bangkok With Thai Partner

Ave

My husband and I always stay at Thai Cozy House just off of Khaosan (not the temple end) across the street from if Swensens Ice cream and down a bit. If you google it you will find the address. Nothing fancy, flashpacker style, decent rooms. They are always nice to us and my hubby phones ahead to book rooms and they have had no problem (mind you he explains that his wife is farang and we always check in together) There have been some major attitude problems on Khaosan in the past :o but this place is fine. Good Luck Ave.

Thanks Meme, I think I know the one you mean. Next time I'll try it out. Cheers

My husband is just about to get his British passport, I wonder what would happen if he went to book a room & was refused but then showed a UK passport??? Might be a good experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i am new here :o

looking for support from ladies that are dating a thai man too, though what i read in these last few posts i think shows not much understanding of some members at all...

I guess if you have thai husband thais are very discriminative to each other, they do not want 'poor' peole in their rooms.

not because they travel with a bunch in a car ( which are just poor people who can not afford public transport) probaply have only one day off in the month, and in thai culture everything is done in a group, if you can not afford to go out to eat but still want to enjoy the beach, I do not see any other option from them...

Your post is almost insulting to those who just practise their own culture with probaply less budget then you.....

Hopefully I totally misunderstood and you can explain where you get this conclusion from?

sannebkk, who's post are you referring to? Your post isn't clear & quite honestly I have no idea what you find insulting, so please let us know what post you are disagreeing with.

Dear Boo,

I guess i got offended by this reply:

QUOTE (torrenova @ 2008-05-22 05:13:59)

Isn't this because Thais have been known to over populate the room, bring in all their own food, not buy anything in the hotel etc

Exactly correct. We have all seen pickup trucks packed full of Thais on the highway heading to the beach. The group will stay in one room. Not only do they bring their own food, they will bring cooking equipment and cook in the room, leaving the nasty "pla" odor behind and attracting insects. The room will be trashed by the time they leave.

maybe I overreacted (shocked) but I am a little bit frustrated already about thais treating lower class thais like this, i guess i do not understand such a reaction. maybe it is a good discussion topic!

Do you not have experience with that with your man?

The person who wrote that was just giving a reason why some hotel don't allow thai people to rent a room, it wasn't their opinion that it was right only that that was one reason & it is a true reason.

My husband & I only stay at mid price range hotels in thailand (2,500 thb per night +) & have never expereinced this happening, imo it happens in Khao San main road guesthouses (probably due to how many tourists there) or lower priced places but we have never heard of it anywhere else & never expereinced it ourselves outside of KS Road.

As to some thai families staying many poeple in one room, well, I know how much mess me & hubby plus a baby make in one night so can understand the hotels reluctance to let these rooms to large groups. I dont' know any other hotels in the world that allow more than 2 adults & a couple of kids per room, so don't see why thai hotels would be different.

You are rigth that it is true that mid range hotels do not allow more then 2 persons + child (2500) baht.

Though, my man and his family travels like this( described in the message), and we have never had problems with cheap hotels owned by thai.

As we make sure the room is need (and no smell) at the time we leave.

I admit i do not have experience in more expensive hotels(except western hotels), but it is a little bit generalizing to say that it is the fault of Thai people who travel in a cheap way that general Thai can not book a room. In my opinion it was assumable she did agree with this reason and assumptions.

Difference of opinion then, that is why i asked for clarification.

In my experience though it depends to which area you go too and what kind of status/policy the manegement of the hotel wants to uphold.

in addition: good hotel to stay:

Bangkok interplace hotel

600/700/900 baht for a room. In Rama 9 area. Outside of the center with local character, though are used to farangs witht he presence of the rajamangala stadium as well as the Assumption university in the same Soi.

We stay here many times, they are renovating so check different rooms.

Can take bus/taxi to downtown depending on traffic; 30 min.

I have to agree with Sannebbkk. I found that original post rather insulting and snobbish also. His intention may not have been for it to sound so, however you hear many comments like this, and much worse, that are intended to be rude. When it is obviously one person checking in, there should be no reason to refuse someone on the basis that he 'may' have his entire family hidden round the corner with full cooking facilities. There are plenty of guesthouses that cater for these kinds of groups, and this is where they will usually stay. They certainly would not head to Khao San.

My understanding is that the reason there is a general "no thai" rule in guesthouses around Khao San is to control people bringing bar girls back and the end of a drunken night out. I guess it could get a bit confusing if they say no Thai women as there is a significant percentage of bar girls who wouldn't fall into this category!!

Let me just point out that, the person denied a room in this instance cited by the OP wasn't a Thai lady (or BG), but rather, a single Thai man.... That episode seems to fit neither into the "dont want BGs" scenario or into the "don't want 10 Thais in one room" scenario....

Also about the prior poster's comments about Thai group traveling, I'd note that he was just describing the thinking/actions of some hotel operators... The people who are making the decision to deny rooms to Thais in those situation are, I'd presume, Thai themselves.

Since I'm a guy, I've never encountered the same situation described by the OP.... But I do my best to stay away from Khao San Road...for just that kind of reason. If it's become such a place that Thai businesses are turning away Thai customers, then I don't have any interest to frequent there....

Thieving is the reason we were given back in the day when we were young and stayed at KS road. My husband and I stayed at a guesthouse where the owners were from Surat as well and they felt that it was better to not allow Thai people (although they allowed my husband as a fellow Surat native) in case things went missing then Thai people could not be blamed for the theft. At least, this is what the owner told my husband.

Thieving is the reason we were given back in the day when we were young and stayed at KS road. My husband and I stayed at a guesthouse where the owners were from Surat as well and they felt that it was better to not allow Thai people (although they allowed my husband as a fellow Surat native) in case things went missing then Thai people could not be blamed for the theft. At least, this is what the owner told my husband.

Are they still running the guesthouse there..? My boyfriend is also from Surat... :o

these things happen all the time, don't they.. when I took my boyfriend to Pattaya everybody stared at us assuming that he was some kind of prostitute, that he is in it for the money and me for the sex. In Pattaya and many other places sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't but we can't judge a book by its cover all the time. it all also depend on how dirtily our mind operates..

Some people are strange, aren't they? When I was growing up in Thialand, I used to find it really annoying that my Thai mother would enforce a really strict dress code on us children (For a teenager ... very BORING!) She used to be particularly strict when we were out with my dad. I'm eurasian. It wasn't until later that I really understood.

I've been verbally abused by a local lady for "stealing business", while simply walking along with a western male friend from uni, in Pattaya. Had guys off the street take my freind off to the side and tell him he could get prettier and cheaper girls (outch!) Had a police officer treat me with utter contempt when I went to report a stolen handbag "Mother's occupation? Bar girl?" (Humm, no.) And walking along with my own dad? Let's not even go there. Rebellious as I was, even I soon learned.

Out went the trendy sloppy informal western teenage gear. In came the total snob act, put on at all times when in public in Thailand. Or I would color my hair and try not to look Thai at all. Yes, it did work, but sad, isn't it? A normal young thai girl feeling that she has to hide her Thai idenitiy in Thailand, just to be treated better.

Fortunately, I don't seem to encounter that now with my Western husband. Maybe times have changed for the better - or maybe I just look way too old now for people to make that sort of mistake! :o

Sorry, but why on earth would you want to stay anywhere near KS road?

We always stay in Soi Kasem San 1, its opposite MBK. A nice quiet little soi, with quite a few guesthouses and no attitude problems that I have ever encountered. Neither do you get the relentless hassle of touts and tuk tuk drivers like KS road.

Agreed...I think avoiding khaosan road is for the better anyway....

I guess he likes the chilled out/party atmosphere there which is quite different from the one that you find in the centre of town.

I wouldn't mind trying out Soi Kasem San though. Cheers

these things happen all the time, don't they.. when I took my boyfriend to Pattaya everybody stared at us assuming that he was some kind of prostitute, that he is in it for the money and me for the sex. In Pattaya and many other places sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't but we can't judge a book by its cover all the time. it all also depend on how dirtily our mind operates..

Some people are strange, aren't they? When I was growing up in Thialand, I used to find it really annoying that my Thai mother would enforce a really strict dress code on us children (For a teenager ... very BORING!) She used to be particularly strict when we were out with my dad. I'm eurasian. It wasn't until later that I really understood.

I've been verbally abused by a local lady for "stealing business", while simply walking along with a western male friend from uni, in Pattaya. Had guys off the street take my freind off to the side and tell him he could get prettier and cheaper girls (outch!) Had a police officer treat me with utter contempt when I went to report a stolen handbag "Mother's occupation? Bar girl?" (Humm, no.) And walking along with my own dad? Let's not even go there. Rebellious as I was, even I soon learned.

Out went the trendy sloppy informal western teenage gear. In came the total snob act, put on at all times when in public in Thailand. Or I would color my hair and try not to look Thai at all. Yes, it did work, but sad, isn't it? A normal young thai girl feeling that she has to hide her Thai idenitiy in Thailand, just to be treated better.

Fortunately, I don't seem to encounter that now with my Western husband. Maybe times have changed for the better - or maybe I just look way too old now for people to make that sort of mistake! :o

Yes, I think times and people are changing also in Thailand, for the better.

Sometimes it's better to be farang and sometimes the opposite works better. hmmm, three betters..

Last year I had a lot of problems trying to work out entrance fees during school trips. At some point I was faced with four different prices: a ticket for farang adults, one for farang children, then a lot cheaper tickets for Thai farang and the Thai children admission fees were the sixteenth part of what a farang child had to pay. Those half Thai/half farang were in a bit of a limbo. As it got too complicated the rules changed on the spot and it was decided that height counted instead, more confusion...

I took a group of students to visit a military ship and only those who were 100% percent Thai could access. The rest, farang and mixed race who didn't have Thai nationality were denied entrance and had to wait outside under the roasting sun, that included me of course. They said we were not allowed in for security reasons. I'm quite glad we didn't have to go in after all..

I've just checked At Home guesthouse in Tanao Road, opposite the most popular veggie restaurant behind kaosarn (never remember the name). Their rooms are clean and cheap (300 Baht up). They accept bookings with Thai males, with a smile :o