Accommodation In Bangkok With Thai Partner

Ave

This is a bit of a last minute question as I'm on my way to Bangkok today to meet my boyfriend who is waiting for me there.

Unfortunately he is Thai which means that he can't get a darn hotel room anywhere to get some sleep. He has had to go back to the train station and rest there, instead. :o

There certainly might be good reasons for the hotel to refuse room bookings from Thai people, but I think it's a bit unfair.

Is there one guesthouse in the whole Bangkok that will believe we are a real couple and that he's not a prostitute or a thief..?

cheers!

depends on where you are staying maybe, and what the budget is.

try the viengtai hotel in banglampoo. they should accept the booking gladly.

perhaps try an online booking too.

My husband has booked numerous hotels & guesthouses by himself & with me over the years as have many many thai males friends. The only place that have a real problem with thai nationals is Kao San Road but just behind there, the hotels & GH's will take thai people. We have stayed at asia hotel for years & there are hoards of thai nationals checking in & out at all times. It is possible your thai bf is trying to book a cheaper place & they may have an issue esp if in KS Road.

I've never had a problem with hotels when travelling in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend. Never even crossed my mind that it could be a potential problem. What do they say when you try to book a room?

:o I had the same question on my mind!

what does he say when he calls or enters a hotel; does he use this line in his inquiry: do you have a free room?

so thery will not accept his money to book a room.seems very strange to me.

Yes, it's strange and money doesn't seem to matter much in this case. The people who run my regular guesthouse and who know me so well and respect me make so much fuss even if a bring a paying Thai female friend!

My husband has booked numerous hotels & guesthouses by himself & with me over the years as have many many thai males friends. The only place that have a real problem with thai nationals is Kao San Road but just behind there, the hotels & GH's will take thai people. We have stayed at asia hotel for years & there are hoards of thai nationals checking in & out at all times. It is possible your thai bf is trying to book a cheaper place & they may have an issue esp if in KS Road.

That's probably it. We'll look elsewhere. thank you Boo

I've never had a problem with hotels when travelling in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend. Never even crossed my mind that it could be a potential problem. What do they say when you try to book a room?

I don't know the exact words because he tried to book before my arrival. He said he tried to explain the situation but they wouldn't believe him. He looks very decent, I can't understand this but at the same time I can understand them.

I tried to google asia hotel and found this. Is this the one you meant...http://www.asiahotel.co.th/bangkok.htm?

Edited by Ave

depends on where you are staying maybe, and what the budget is.

try the viengtai hotel in banglampoo. they should accept the booking gladly.

perhaps try an online booking too.

Thanks Donna, very expensive for him as he's going to pay but good suggestion as I know where it is.

Yep thats the one, it is very close to Siam square & not cheap but we like it. But tell your bf if you want to stay near KS Road to walk through the temple & the GH's through there are more inclinded to accect thai thai people & imo it is a much nicer, quieter area to stay in.

Also this place just a 2 minute walk from Gullivers around the corner from KS Road is ok too & accepts thai people.

Yep thats the one, it is very close to Siam square & not cheap but we like it. But tell your bf if you want to stay near KS Road to walk through the temple & the GH's through there are more inclinded to accect thai thai people & imo it is a much nicer, quieter area to stay in.

Also this place just a 2 minute walk from Gullivers around the corner from KS Road is ok too & accepts thai people.

Ah, I feel a lot better now. Thank you Boo!

I think that he was too shy to try and ask in other places as he got discouraged with the first one...

I'd imagine he was a bit shocked that he was being refused entry to a hotel in his own country!!!, it's one of the reasons I wont even patronise hotel bars in KS anymore, my husband is ok to pay for his beer & food there but not good enough to sleep there. So they get nothing from us.

Pre- baby though we used to stay behind the temple a lot & also in the link to the Sawadee inn I gave you as it is a good location for convience. Now with a baby it is just impossible for me :o

My husband and I always stay at Thai Cozy House just off of Khaosan (not the temple end) across the street from if Swensens Ice cream and down a bit. If you google it you will find the address. Nothing fancy, flashpacker style, decent rooms. They are always nice to us and my hubby phones ahead to book rooms and they have had no problem (mind you he explains that his wife is farang and we always check in together) There have been some major attitude problems on Khaosan in the past :o but this place is fine. Good Luck Ave.

Sorry, but why on earth would you want to stay anywhere near KS road?

We always stay in Soi Kasem San 1, its opposite MBK. A nice quiet little soi, with quite a few guesthouses and no attitude problems that I have ever encountered. Neither do you get the relentless hassle of touts and tuk tuk drivers like KS road.

My ethnicity is Thai but was born in the U.S. I was in Thailand on vacation and walked up to the counter of a hotel in a t-shirt, shorts, with a duff bag with my cloths. I ask the person in Thai at the counter for a room and they replied the hotel was full. I pulled out my U.S. passport and ask the person to check again. This time there was a room available. Another time I booked a room ahead of time and when I showed them my passport I was told my room had been upgraded. Make me think Thai have issues with other Thai.

KS Road area is a bit of a nightmare but the surrounding areas are much to be appreciated and enjoyed. Go for the few roads round KS Road and just enjoy the ambiance, in time you will enjoy what you find to be true

Try Phra Atit Road too, just at the bottom of the temple near the river... lots of small Thai bars

Edited by Nampeung

Sorry, but why on earth would you want to stay anywhere near KS road?

We always stay in Soi Kasem San 1, its opposite MBK. A nice quiet little soi, with quite a few guesthouses and no attitude problems that I have ever encountered. Neither do you get the relentless hassle of touts and tuk tuk drivers like KS road.

We have also stayed here. It was fine as well. We stay on khaosan because we meet up with most of our friends there anyway and we just know it really well so..go where you know. But I completely understand why people would stay away.

I like it for the convenience, you dont' have to think too much when needing food & drinks or to grab some stuff from boots, where we stay now, although better for shopping & being central takes a bit more effort to find good places to eat or just to sit & people watch. Dont think I would ever want to actually stay at a place in KS though which is why I used to like the places just behind the temple, close enough but not too close.

But anyway, hopefully Ave's bf has found a place now & isn't still sleeping at the train station!!! :o

there are lots of guesthouses that allow thais. just not in the immediate tourist areas.

near khao san road, try suksawadi hotel on samsen soi 4 (or maybe 6)... nakorn pink in that same area is good too. much nicer area with good nightlife and food stalls too.

Edited by girlx

Isn't this because Thais have been known to over populate the room, bring in all their own food, not buy anything in the hotel etc

Exactly correct. We have all seen pickup trucks packed full of Thais on the highway heading to the beach. The group will stay in one room. Not only do they bring their own food, they will bring cooking equipment and cook in the room, leaving the nasty "pla" odor behind and attracting insects. The room will be trashed by the time they leave.

This is a bit of a last minute question as I'm on my way to Bangkok today to meet my boyfriend who is waiting for me there.

Unfortunately he is Thai which means that he can't get a darn hotel room anywhere to get some sleep. He has had to go back to the train station and rest there, instead. :o

There certainly might be good reasons for the hotel to refuse room bookings from Thai people, but I think it's a bit unfair.

Is there one guesthouse in the whole Bangkok that will believe we are a real couple and that he's not a prostitute or a thief..?

cheers!

my wife who is thai has booked many hotels with no problems but there was one hotel after we had been out for food we went back to hotel the man at the desk and stopped us and said to me i would have to pay to take a girl in to my room when i told him to look at his book and look for my wif name and mine to say his face went red he was so sorry he took the price of the hotel down to 50% and we could eat at the hotel free and drink

I like it for the convenience, you dont' have to think too much when needing food & drinks or to grab some stuff from boots, where we stay now, although better for shopping & being central takes a bit more effort to find good places to eat or just to sit & people watch. Dont think I would ever want to actually stay at a place in KS though which is why I used to like the places just behind the temple, close enough but not too close.

But anyway, hopefully Ave's bf has found a place now & isn't still sleeping at the train station!!! :o

And indeed we did find it! Thank you Boo and everybody else for your suggestions.

We went to First Guesthouse the first night (400B, basic clean with air-con for those interested) and Sawasdee Inn after that. Nice, clean and cheaper, 300/350 Baht, can't remember exactly.

We had a great time in Kao San and the funny thing in the end was that most of the Thais addressed him in English as they thought he was foreign...!

cheers!

my wife who is thai has booked many hotels with no problems but there was one hotel after we had been out for food we went back to hotel the man at the desk and stopped us and said to me i would have to pay to take a girl in to my room when i told him to look at his book and look for my wif name and mine to say his face went red he was so sorry he took the price of the hotel down to 50% and we could eat at the hotel free and drink

these things happen all the time, don't they.. when I took my boyfriend to Pattaya everybody stared at us assuming that he was some kind of prostitute, that he is in it for the money and me for the sex. In Pattaya and many other places sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't but we can't judge a book by its cover all the time. it all also depend on how dirtily our mind operates..