Passport Expired, Embassy Denied To Extend, What Now ?

It was mentioned that this is a military matter. Turkey has compulsory military service {conscription} for all males {20 to 41} and any failure to serve is under the jurisdiction of the Military Courts, further if memory serves official documents, including passports are withheld until any failure to serve is resolved. I seem to recall that there was an option to mitigate service, but a failure to report may make this impractical.

That's my guess, though I may be in error.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

It was mentioned that this is a military matter. Turkey has compulsory military service {conscription} for all males {20 to 41} and any failure to serve is under the jurisdiction of the Military Courts, further if memory serves official documents, including passports are withheld until any failure to serve is resolved. I seem to recall that there was an option to mitigate service, but a failure to report may make this impractical.

That';s my guess, though I may be in error.

Regards

Thank you for your reply,

the person has no military service to make anymore.

soit has nothing to do with this, but its a though, thanks..

I also want to mention,that the Police in turkey have generally only the Power of City's. Outside, in small city's and villages the Police has no Power. only the Military Gendarmerie. and all,what happen there, the military keep the rights for themself.

So, military case does not mean, he runaway from his military service.

thanks a lot for the plenty thought's & suggestions...

Having Turkish friends, I'm a little surprised by your above post, since the reforms over the last 15 years or more have reduced the military role, and separated the justice systems, so that even in terrorism issues the Military Courts may not adjudicate unless acts are committed in a designated military zone. However, you say this is not a conscription issue so there's little more to say. By the by, if it was, then a Turkish lawyer might be able to negotiate with the Military Board to accept the fee based reduced service option, which is available to those who wish to minimise their time in service.

Regards

PS Just to note that a number of countries such as Switzerland, may choose to revoke official documents under these circumstances.

Edited by A_Traveller

With regard to claiming asylum in Thailand, I don't believe the country is a signatory to the 1951 UN Convention. As a consequence, the Thai government is not bound to entertain an asylum claim. Furthermore, if it were, the person seeking asylum would have to demonstrate that not only would they be subject to either persecution, degrading treatment or torture, but that this would be as a consequence of his/her social group.

Like "A Traveller", my perception is that the Turkish govt. has cleaned up its act remarkably over the last decade or so with a view to possible membership of the EU. If this is not an issue of avoidance of military service, then the only other possibility that springs to mind is the Kurds, but even they are largely left alone now and, even if they are not, there is the option of internal flight. I think the days of European countries granting asylum to Turkish citizens are long gone.

Is it simply a matter that the man has spent so long outside of the European country in which he lived, that he's lost his right to reside and he doesn't want to go back to Turkey; a place he's never lived?

Scouse.

With regard to claiming asylum in Thailand, I don't believe the country is a signatory to the 1951 UN Convention. As a consequence, the Thai government is not bound to entertain an asylum claim. Furthermore, if it were, the person seeking asylum would have to demonstrate that not only would they be subject to either persecution, degrading treatment or torture, but that this would be as a consequence of his/her social group.

Like "A Traveller", my perception is that the Turkish govt. has cleaned up its act remarkably over the last decade or so with a view to possible membership of the EU. If this is not an issue of avoidance of military service, then the only other possibility that springs to mind is the Kurds, but even they are largely left alone now and, even if they are not, there is the option of internal flight. I think the days of European countries granting asylum to Turkish citizens are long gone.

Is it simply a matter that the man has spent so long outside of the European country in which he lived, that he's lost his right to reside and he doesn't want to go back to Turkey; a place he's never lived?

Scouse.

Thank you for the posting on the topic, how i said before, the person has no military service to make anymore, its already made and a couple of years before.

they probably want to investigate a case at the military court. He is further dishonnored released from being soldier in turkey by a military Hospital.

The military role may be reduced in the past 15 years, officially, but inside the Country, everybody know, the military Gendarmerie inTurkey is still very powerful, which not allways the order from the president or high ministery accepts. they even treatened the government in turkey last year (2007), because the government offer to the presidential-ship to take the strong power from the military gendarmerie,which is inside the country very active. nothing changed and since then this offer is not made again.

so, here is not the point, that we have here a desserteur from military service. the military released him officially & now they want him maybe back :o

Yes, he was solong outside of turkey living before he went to turkey, where he get tortured, because he missed the time to come to military service for a couple of years.

anyway, i thank you all, my mate will preciate the informations.

By the way, I am turkish, too,and i amone ofthe other milions of turks, who would never ever go back to this counttry again. But i am lucky, i have no problems with the embassy, not yet :D

The Passport itself is still Valid for the next 1 year.

This may well be the reason they will not issue a new passport - it is not needed. Have him try under one year of validity and then again under six months. He can stay in Thailand until expiration date of the visa/passport - it is just new visa issue that becomes a problem with less than six months.

We seem to be in a very different position then from when this started. If the dishonourable discharge is accurate, not a typo, then that is where the problem may be, though Lop's point about time to run is valid too, I'd assumed the passport was full. If the individual has been subject to torture then I'd suggest contacting the EU representatives as a first step. Expecting a positive hearing here, with a Military issue is, in my view very problematic.

Regards

EU Representation

19 Fl., Kian Gwan House II, 140/1 Wireless Rd., Bangkok 10330

Tel: (+662) 255-9100

Fax: (+662) 255-9113..4

Hours: 08:30-17:30 (Mon-Thurs), 08:30-14:30 (Fri)

Edited by A_Traveller

Depending on your friend situation, some decent countries will give him a refugee or BR status. The situation I mentioned must be related to a political, racism or war. Criminal acts are definitely not included. If your friend -for instance- is a Turkish/Kurd, then he might has some ground for applying, but if he was wanted for a criminal or misbehavior (other than political) towards the army then he doesn’t. More details are needed to answer your question, but in general no other country except his own will ever give him a passport just because he needs one. I wish him a good luck.

Bishop