Classic Hollywood Movies With Thai Soundtrack

Greenside

Surely those movies are so simple that they're actually great to use as part of learning English?

To fast and furious for his level, I'm afraid. I always run English subtitles in the hope something sticks. I'd like to have a Thai version for him to see first if possible.

Surely those movies are so simple that they're actually great to use as part of learning English?

To fast and furious for his level, I'm afraid. I always run English subtitles in the hope something sticks. I'd like to have a Thai version for him to see first if possible.

I may be offering you no information that you do not already know perfectly well, but if my understanding is correct, DVDs here usually come with Thai subtitles too, which you can choose to run separately from the English subtitles. Would that not work for your son?

I may be offering you no information that you do not already know perfectly well, but if my understanding is correct, DVDs here usually come with Thai subtitles too, which you can choose to run separately from the English subtitles. Would that not work for your son?

He's Thai but he can't read Thai fluently enough to follow dialogue in a fast moving (or even a slowish) movie but thanks for the suggestion. I have a theory that letting him enjoy a movie in dubbed Thai (ghastly as it sounds to us) with English sub titles is maybe the best way to start and then if he wants to watch it again, and they usually do ad nauseam, try it in English with Thai subs. Anyway, we'll see how the experiment goes because I solved the problem by finding a VCD copy in the cheapo dump bin merchant on the ground floor of Computer Plaza for the bargain price of 79 baht.

By the way, I went to see the latest Indiana Jones movie today at Airport Plaza and if you enjoyed the original Raiders then you won't be disappointed. Sure, he's 65 but he's still a good hero and it's great to see Karen Black back after all these years even if she's a bit thicker around the waist (aren't we all) :o . Tuesday is concession day with seats at 80 baht which is a bargain.

Despite more than one video store saying they have these in Thai, so far I only find them with subtitles my 7 year old can't read fast enough to enjoy the movie. Can anyone help me out here?

Caveat emptor!! Very often Thai voice overs and subtitles are outrageously bad. Not at all the best way to learn English. An alternative --- English subtitles --- can also be totally bizarre. Again, not at all the best way to learn English. I suggest investing in some decent CDs for the appropriate age level, such as Dr. Sueuss. Order them through the Internet. There are also some excellent web sites for children. Your child can proceed at his or her own pace. Guess you'll just have to give up cruising on ThaiVisa some of the time!

Despite more than one video store saying they have these in Thai, so far I only find them with subtitles my 7 year old can't read fast enough to enjoy the movie. Can anyone help me out here?

Caveat emptor!! Very often Thai voice overs and subtitles are outrageously bad. Not at all the best way to learn English. An alternative --- English subtitles --- can also be totally bizarre. Again, not at all the best way to learn English. I suggest investing in some decent CDs for the appropriate age level, such as Dr. Sueuss. Order them through the Internet. There are also some excellent web sites for children. Your child can proceed at his or her own pace. Guess you'll just have to give up cruising on ThaiVisa some of the time!

I think this thread got a little off track somewhere! The primary reason for getting the movies with a Thai soundtrack is so he can understand and hopefully enjoy them, certainly not as a language aid although as I said before, maybe something will stick. The poor guy gets plenty of tuition: in addition to me being an English teacher, we have a computer loaded with some good interactive software that keeps him interested and working at it without having to be tied to the chair. I have found "Talk Now Plus" to be very good in this respect, by the way.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by Greenside

...and it's great to see Karen Black back after all these years even if she's a bit thicker around the waist (aren't we all) :D .

NOT Karen Black. Karen ALLEN! (I know you committed this error intentionally just to get my attention Greenside.) :o

Ah yes... Sprung to her defence just as I predicted :D