Getting An Easy(er) Visa For Thailand?

Hi, My name is Ray, Belgian and Wife (not married) Jane, Norwegian. I'm new in this forum, so i could realy need some help.

We are living 3,5 years in Goa and that's more then enough!!

To explain a few things:

Jane had 3 spinal surgeries in one year time and was advised to go and live in a country with warm, and no big differences in temperature in order not to endup in a wheelchair. before we lived for 8 years in Spain, but ok in summer but cold in winter. She is getting a disabillity pension from Norway = Us 2000 per month, and rising every year. as i understood this is just not enough for the 65K bath needed for a retirement visa.

For myself, i don't mind to go for a visarun every 6 months, but it seems even that is not possible ?

We don't want to do bussines, nor buy propperty, just spend our money in Thailand and for the Thai people!!

Enyone out there who knows a way to get a thai visa without to much hassle

Thanks in advance, Ray & Jane

Hi, My name is Ray, Belgian and Wife (not married) Jane, Norwegian. I'm new in this forum, so i could realy need some help.

We are living 3,5 years in Goa and that's more then enough!!

To explain a few things:

Jane had 3 spinal surgeries in one year time and was advised to go and live in a country with warm, and no big differences in temperature in order not to endup in a wheelchair. before we lived for 8 years in Spain, but ok in summer but cold in winter. She is getting a disabillity pension from Norway = Us 2000 per month, and rising every year. as i understood this is just not enough for the 65K bath needed for a retirement visa.

For myself, i don't mind to go for a visarun every 6 months, but it seems even that is not possible ?

We don't want to do bussines, nor buy propperty, just spend our money in Thailand and for the Thai people!!

Enyone out there who knows a way to get a thai visa without to much hassle

Thanks in advance, Ray & Jane

If you are over 50 you can easily get an O visa i am sure this post will get moved to the Visa forum where you will get more answers to your questions

I agree with Lobburi3 with thaivisa have almost question about visa and if both of you are over 50 you can apply for retirement visa. Chiangmai or anywhere in Thailand have a good climate all year round for somebody who want to escape from too cold. I am here in Chiangmai would like to say I am ready to help whoever need some help about to settle in Chiangmai, if I can.

opjade

Hi, having been through a lot of threads i'm stil confused ! To explain our situation, Jane needs a medical visa on solid grounds, she had 3 backoperations for a tumor inside the spine (ful doc. and neurologist repports available from Norway, Belgium and India). She needs a Neurological inspection every 3 months and special medication, but most of all she needs to live in a warm and steady climat in order to stay out of a wheelchair, she also is a painpatient 24/7 !

Now for myself, i cannot (i think) get enything else but a 2-3 month TV, so i have to do some visaruns (i'm doing this in Goa for the last 3,5 years, so, no problem)

Now the question: is there anybody out there (we're going to Chiang Mai) who has recent info (2008) wether we can do this with a on arrival (i gues 29 days?) stamp and go with that to Imm. office in CM?

Thanks

PS. already contacted sunbelt asia, but little or no reply!

Ray & JAne

Edited by raybona

Hi, having been through a lot of threads i'm stil confused ! To explain our situation, Jane needs a medical visa on solid grounds, she had 3 backoperations for a tumor inside the spine (ful doc. and neurologist repports available from Norway, Belgium and India). She needs a Neurological inspection every 3 months and special medication, but most of all she needs to live in a warm and steady climat in order to stay out of a wheelchair, she also is a painpatient 24/7 !

Now for myself, i cannot (i think) get enything else but a 2-3 month TV, so i have to do some visaruns (i'm doing this in Goa for the last 3,5 years, so, no problem)

Now the question: is there anybody out there (we're going to Chiang Mai) who has recent info (2008) wether we can do this with a on arrival (i gues 29 days?) stamp and go with that to Imm. office in CM?

Thanks

Ray & JAne

As said before, Jane can get a yearlly extension with her pension and a small amount in a Thai Bank.

She can enter with a 60 day tourist Visa and get it changed to a Non O and extend that for the years extension at Immigration in Thailand. Not sure if Bangkok or Chiang Mai can do.

Ray can enter the same way but would have to go to Vientianne Laos when his Visa finishes and get another one. And keep doing this.

if you were married Ray could get the same yearly extension as Jane by being her Dependant.

In theory Jane could enter on a 30 day stamp but the airline may not let her board the flight.

It all sounds complicated but it is not too bad really.

Have a read through the official Thai Police Rules.

Edited by Lite Beer

Thanks

Ray & JAne

What are your nationalities and ages ?

As said before...

This is the earlier topic Lite Beer is referring to. Rraybona is confusing matters by having started this new topic and I am now combining the two.

--

Maestro

As said before...

This is the earlier topic Lite Beer is referring to. Rraybona is confusing matters by having started this new topic and I am now combining the two.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro.

Really trying to help these people. But I think they are going to struggle.

She can squeak through the retirement option but he is reliant on tourist visas as He cannot reach the retirement requirements.

Not a good idea if you are looking at retiring in Thailand.

If they were married it would help them no end.

Sounds a bit mercenary but this is the way it is in Thailand.

Thanks

Ray & JAne

Hi, I'm Belgian,55, and Jane is Norwegian, 50.

There is no way jane can apply for a retirement visa because she has not enough monthly for the 65K, very close, but not comletely!

Also there is no possibylity for a deposit in a Thai bank. We are living together for 11 years, but forgett the mariage. She is divorced, but i'm not (cannot because wife is Russian, have'nt seen her for 15 years, and Russia is tot big to find her!!),

Ray & Jane

Thanks

Ray & JAne

There is no way jane can apply for a retirement visa because she has not enough monthly for the 65K, very close, but not comletely!

Also there is no possibylity for a deposit in a Thai bank. We are living together for 11 years, but forgett the mariage. She is divorced, but i'm not (cannot because wife is Russian, have'nt seen her for 15 years, and Russia is tot big to find her!!),

Ray & Jane

Jane can get a Retirement Extension with a combination of her pension and some money in the bank (not a lot). Surely with her health problems it would be a good option for her as she would not have to do any Visa Runs.

Sorry about your marriage problems.

Edited by Lite Beer

Thanks

Ray & JAne

Ray & Jane

Jane can get a Retirement Extension with a combination of her pension and some money in the bank (not a lot). Surely with her health problems it would be a good option for her as she would not have to do any Visa Runs.

Sorry about your marriage problems.

Hi Lite Beer, right now i'm having a strong beer, cheers buddy !!! :o

We've been checking the right amounth per today how much Jane is getting per month (mind you that Norway is an oilrich country, so it's going up all the time!!) the correct amounth in Baht officially is 62500Baht/month, and rising. We've been writing so many times, NO SAVINGS!!

On the other hand still did not get any answer on our main question :D

Everybody keeps on talking abouth arriving with a tourist visa, but, my question ALWAYS was arriving on a arrival entrance stamp for 21, (or 29 days?). We already know it could be possible for Jane, but how about me? As told before, i don't care leaving every 3 months.

Could you, or anybody else enlighten me about this pls.?

Cheers, (have to tell you, Goan beer is really good)

Ray & Jane

...Everybody keeps on talking abouth arriving with a tourist visa, but, my question ALWAYS was arriving on a arrival entrance stamp for 21, (or 29 days?). We already know it could be possible for Jane, but how about me? As told before, i don't care leaving every 3 months.

Could you, or anybody else enlighten me about this pls.?...

Arriving without a visa in Thailand is no problem provided the airline will let you board without a visa and without a return or onward ticket out of Thailand. Most likely, the airline will not allow you.

You are over 50 years old and therefore can apply for annual extensions for retirement, ie never have to leave Thailand if you do not want to. See this post made by opjade:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2010296

See paragraph 7.21 of Royal Thai Police Order No. 606/2549 for details of the retirement extension.

--

Maestro

...We've been checking the right amounth per today how much Jane is getting per month (mind you that Norway is an oilrich country, so it's going up all the time!!) the correct amounth in Baht officially is 62500Baht/month, and rising. We've been writing so many times, NO SAVINGS!!...Everybody keeps on talking abouth arriving with a tourist visa, but, my question ALWAYS was arriving on a arrival entrance stamp for 21, (or 29 days?). We already know it could be possible for Jane, but how about me? As told before, i don't care leaving every 3 months.

Sorry but Jane would get the Retirement extension. With small money in the bank.You would have to do visa runs every 3 months. You can both arrive on a 30 day stamp but the airline may not let you on the plane.

Goan Beer are you taking about Kingfisher or Kings?

I rather liked Kings.

Hi Lite Beer, I drink both! Wath do you mean with the airline may not let us a on the plane ? Why not, because i know a couple of guys here who fly

regularely to Thailand for an Indian visa run without having a Thai visa ?

Again, can Jane go for the retirement extension with the 30 day stamp, and can i get a 60 day tourist visa extension ?

Cheers mate,

Ray & Jane

Hi Lite Beer, I drink both! Wath do you mean with the airline may not let us a on the plane ? Why not, because i know a couple of guys here who fly

regularely to Thailand for an Indian visa run without having a Thai visa ?

Again, can Jane go for the retirement extension with the 30 day stamp, and can i get a 60 day tourist visa extension ?

Cheers mate,

Ray & Jane

The airline may not let you on the plane with a one way ticket if you do not have a VISA.

Assuming you both make it to Thailand (which I doubt without a Visa)

Jane can upgrade to a Non O Visa at Immigration and get the years extension with that for a total cost of 3,900 Baht.

You would only get a 7 day extension at a cost of 1,900 Baht. Meaning a trip to Laos would be needed to get another Tourist Visa. Valid for 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days at a cost of 1,900 Baht.

From memory Jane would need around 50,000 Baht in a Thai bank together with a letter from her Embassy to prove her pension amount.

Without any income or savings you (Ray)are looking at perpetual trips to Thai Embassies to get tourist visas. Unless you have the funds to travel to UK every 15 months and get a Multi Entry Non O Visa. I do not think you will get one in Asia.

You do really need Tourist Visas to enter Thailand to start with.

Just looked at the Dollar / Baht exchange rate. It's creeping up, she may now have enough pension.

Edited by Lite Beer

He seems to indicate that he will have a tourist visa for entry in his last post so yes he should be able to extend his stay 30 days. She reportedly had no cash but if can open account and obtain Embassy letter of pension within the first week or so of entry she can convert/extend but that is cutting it rather tight and there is no guarantee she will be allowed to board aircraft - believe it would be worthwhile for both to have tourist visas. There is a possibility being over age 50 that a single entry non immigrant O visa could be issued by Consulate in India (telling them you plan to retire) and that would save a later 2,000 conversion charge and give plenty of time to get things in order.

He seems to indicate that he will have a tourist visa for entry in his last post so yes he should be able to extend his stay 30 days. She reportedly had no cash but if can open account and obtain Embassy letter of pension within the first week or so of entry she can convert/extend but that is cutting it rather tight and there is no guarantee she will be allowed to board aircraft - believe it would be worthwhile for both to have tourist visas. There is a possibility being over age 50 that a single entry non immigrant O visa could be issued by Consulate in India (telling them you plan to retire) and that would save a later 2,000 conversion charge and give plenty of time to get things in order.

Yes, but he was not very clear about his entry visa.

To be honest if they cannot come up with 50,000 Baht to put in a bank maybe they need to re think their plans.

Ray , once she gets her extension she can withdraw the bank balance and spend it. Hopefully her pension would have increased for when she does it all again next year and she will not need the bank money.

...To be honest if they cannot come up with 50,000 Baht to put in a bank maybe they need to re think their plans...

Thanks a lot guys, this was really helpfull info.

And yes we can put 50-70.000 Baht into a bank , i was thinking about a lot more money, and that would'nt be possible.

So you suggest we apply for visa in the Thai Consulat here in India, can that be done by courier, and howlong in advance?

When we should have the visa in our passports, do we still need a return ticket?

Another question : Do you think it would be possible fro me (Ray) to get an educational visa, learning the Thai language, and if so

how to do it ?

Really appriciate your efforts to help people,

Ray & Jane

A visa would eliminate a return ticket need.

Once here there is nothing to prevent your obtaining an ED visa if you have the paperwork (enrolled/payed for study) but it will require a trip out to a Consulate for issue.

For visa issue details you should contact the Consulate:

Royal Thai Consulate-General

First Floor,Dalamal House

Jamnalal Bajaj Marg, Nariman Point

Mumbai 400 021

Tel. (91-22) 2282-3535

Fax. (91-22) 2281-0808

E-mail : [email protected]

Office Hours :Monday-Friday 09.00-12.00 hrs.and 13.30-17.00 hrs.

Visa and Consular section : Visa Application 09.00-11.30 hrs.

Visa Collection 14.00316.30 hrs.

...Again, can Jane go for the retirement extension with the 30 day stamp...

Yes, she can. With at least 21 days left of her permission to stay she goes to the immigration office in Thailand and applies for a change of visa to non-immigrant (fee 2,000 Baht), then applies for a one-year extension of stay for retirement (fee 1,900 Baht).

--

Maestro

...i know a couple of guys here who fly regularely to Thailand for an Indian visa run without having a Thai visa ?...

“Visa run” implies that they flew to Thailand with a return ticket.

It would be futile to ask here if Jane would be allowed to check in for her flight to Thailand without a visa and with a one-way ticket. Only the airline can give you a definitive answer. Send them an email to ask. Don’t phone; you want it in writing.

--

Maestro

We are living together for 11 years, but forgett the mariage. She is divorced, but i'm not (cannot because wife is Russian, have'nt seen her for 15 years, and Russia is tot big to find her!!),

Ray & Jane

say "la ilaha il-Allah wa Mohamed rasool il-Allah". that converts you to Islam in less than 10 seconds. then shout loudly "YA (insert name of your russian wife) TALIQ... TALIQ... TALIQ!!!" and you are divorced. to make it 100% legal in India place a personal ad (three times within a period of three weeks) in any Indian newspaper.

"I (insert your full name) have divorced because of valid reasons my wife (insert her full name) in absentia and wish henceforth to be considered unmarried."

go to a hindu temple, arrange a hindu marriage with the local Punditji, walk seven times around the holy fire, the Punditji will give you a paper written in hindi (total cost for ceremony and paper max INR 1,000), go with the paper to one of the public notaries who will translate, type it in english and notarize it (cost max another INR 500).

then Jane applies for a retiree visa, you are the dependent. et voilà your problem is solved without visa runs. thai immigration accepts marriage certificates in english without translation.

please send 10 Baht as attachment to a personal message for consulting fees. to be on the safe side you might consider to send my fees by secure e-mail.

the fees are of course a joke. everything else is legal and works!

Hi Naam, it was very funny to read you reply, and i did some checking her in Goa. However your first option to convert into islam is more or less correct, exept from the fact that i have to be a moslim myself, and my previous wife has to be the same, before we could even got married. If not the marriage would never happend, even if i would convert, it would not be possible because she is not Muslim.

On the second option, even that is not possible in the short term because in order to run arround the fire for 7 times you first need to follow several months of Hindu culture!!

It was a good idea anyway, and a lott of fun.

Thanks anyway,

Ray & Jane

...i know a couple of guys here who fly regularely to Thailand for an Indian visa run without having a Thai visa ?...

"Visa run" implies that they flew to Thailand with a return ticket.

It would be futile to ask here if Jane would be allowed to check in for her flight to Thailand without a visa and with a one-way ticket. Only the airline can give you a definitive answer. Send them an email to ask. Don't phone; you want it in writing.

--

Maestro

Hi again, now i'm confused again!! What's new??

I read about a guy who lived in Thailand and according to him, on a 30 day entrance visa you can make a border run 2 times, and have to stay out off the country for 3 months? Or, come in on a 60 day TV, go for a visarun but they will only grant you this for max 3 times and then you have to stay out 3 months anyway?? But as he stated this was in 2004. Is it still like that?

I will post a new topic on the Chiangmai forum about the Thai language edication programs available over there, ok, i'm 55, but i think i'm good at languages (already know 9, it's kind of a hobby)

[...I read about a guy who lived in Thailand and according to him, on a 30 day entrance visa you can make a border run 2 times, and have to stay out off the country for 3 months? ...

Using 30 day Visa Exempt Stamps the rule is. A total of 90 days in a 6 month period.

Not really what you need Ray.

There is no limit on entries on Tourist Visas although some Embassies have their own limits as to how many they issue.

Get a Tourist Visa and enquire about the Education Visa.

Hi,

you can bribe the pundit Ji and get married. he will somehow manage. i'm not joking of your situation but it really works. and i salute you the way you are taking care of Jane.

May god help you to vanish all your problems and you have a peaceful life.

If any suggestions are welcome, how about volunteer work? I am staying in Thailand for more than 4 years already as a volunteer. The nice thing is there is no income check, but you would both have to do volunteer work. I'm not sure about the minimum requirement regarding the hours and your permission to stay would be tight to the volunteer work. No more volunteering with the organisation and you would have to leave the country.

Hello to all of you, We would like to thank you for the tremendious help and info you've gave us, because of you guys we are already 90 % sure that we are going to come!! If it was'nt for you, we stil would be troubled as from day 1.

Thanks so many times again, and if we come up with some more questions we'll be back.

We still have a lot of things we are stil wondering about, but those wil be adressed in the Chiang Mai forum.

Thanks again,

Ray & Jane

Hello to all of you, We would like to thank you for the tremendious help and info you've gave us, because of you guys we are already 90 % sure that we are going to come!! If it was'nt for you, we stil would be troubled as from day 1.

Thanks so many times again, and if we come up with some more questions we'll be back.

We still have a lot of things we are stil wondering about, but those wil be adressed in the Chiang Mai forum.

Thanks again,

Ray & Jane

Good Luck.

Be prepare for some chilly nights is Chiang Mai in the winter.