Are You Embarassed To Admit....

Loosescrew

Sorry, but will never agree with the " Pattaya is not the real Thailand " Brigade. If It's not in Thailand , where the h-ell is it ?

What it has become, is a huge melting pot of some of the worst and some of the best people I have ever met. In short it is a "real" town, warts and all. The mystical land where every one follows their Karma and beautiful people wash elephants all day with transfixed smiles on their face's, ended with " The King and I ".

It is not an easy town, and you certainly have to have your wit's about you, as like moths to a flame, vice and money have drawn bad elements to the center. However, actually live here for a time, and there are many good Thai and Farangs waiting to be found (just like the rest of the country).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='garro' date='2008-05-27 06:53:59' post='2001241']

I think you have got it wrong. From what I've heard, from many people both Thai and western, you are far more likely to get cheated in Pattaya than anywhere else. Now while you might feel that this toughens you up and makes you a bit more street wise, I would argue that this is a strange logic. I have lived in Thailand a six years and, other than once being overcharged at at a garage, I have never been cheated. I have also never lived in Pattaya. I don't see how living in Pattaya would make things any easier for me. You talk to many ex-pats from Pattaya and it often sounds like they are under seige and that their life involves huddling in bars or staying in their house with their Thai wife. They seem far more isolated from the Thai population than ex-pats in other areas of Thailand. Of course this is not true of everyone there. But this type of behaviour, in my view, would make people far more likely to be cheated, robbed, or attacked.

You may will get cheated out of thousands of Baht in Pattaya.

But out in your so called real Thailand it will cost you Millions.

Spent on farms, houses, pick ups,

You should try living in Pattaya you might change your tune.

For me 10 years in Thailand and the above is right not wrong.

BTW I dont need to side with middle class Thaïs for work reasons.

My income is generated out side of Thailand (and loads of it) :o

Edited by plasticpig

I have just returned to Pattaya after being in Chiang Mai for the last five years. I am finding it fascinating what has changed and what is the same. When I left Pattaya I was adamant that I would not return. When I was offered a job back down here I had to really think hard about it. Reading the forum and other sources seemed to confirm that Pattaya had descended even more into the Thai version of Sodom and Gomorrah. Strangely since being back here I have met a wide range of expats and tourists who have been interesting, fun, and decent people. Maybe I am mixing with the wrong crowd :o

From my point of view I am happy to be back in Pattaya and am not in the least bit embarrassed to admit to it.

CB

For the "in-the-closet-Pattayans": check your postal address, there is no "Pattaya' in there.

xxx/xx, Moo xx, Soi Whatsoever

Tambon Nongprue

Amphur Banglamung

2xxxx Chonburi

Thailand

So, what's the big deal.

OR to what policestation do you have to go in case of certain emergencies? Most of the "Dark Side" inhabitants have to visit.........yes: Banglamung Police Station and NOT Soi 9 "head quarters" (which is in fact no HQ, but a sub-station of "Banglamung Police Station" BANGLAMUNG!!

Basically, Pattaya doesn't even excist as a city. Yes it has a city Hall, but that's more a conference centre.

Sorry, but will never agree with the " Pattaya is not the real Thailand " Brigade. If It's not in Thailand , where the h-ell is it ?

What it has become, is a huge melting pot of some of the worst and some of the best people I have ever met. In short it is a "real" town, warts and all. The mystical land where every one follows their Karma and beautiful people wash elephants all day with transfixed smiles on their face's, ended with " The King and I ".

It is not an easy town, and you certainly have to have your wit's about you, as like moths to a flame, vice and money have drawn bad elements to the center. However, actually live here for a time, and there are many good Thai and Farangs waiting to be found (just like the rest of the country).

Don't forget the poor slob that walks behind the elephant all day, and who has to scoop up elephant shit with a transfixed smile on his face. At least he can say he's in show business. I wonder where his karma is taking him?

Don't forget the poor slob that walks behind the elephant all day, and who has to scoop up elephant shit with a transfixed smile on his face. At least he can say he's in show business. I wonder where his karma is taking him?

Good point :o

Since Mr. Black apparently moved out of the East Side, I can say that I am a proud citizen of at least this part of Pattaya again.... :D

I think he's laying low isn't he? :o

From what I understand it was somewhat healthier for him to get the hel_l out of here...

now i live in Korat for 6 months of the year but before i lived in soi 2 across the road from big C , no problem used the pool in hotel had a great room for 8 thousand bht per month ,massage around corner everything i wanted on my doorstep. i dont care what anyone thinks i had a great time and i was there for 3 years.

You talk to many ex-pats from Pattaya and it often sounds like they are under seige and that their life involves huddling in bars or staying in their house with their Thai wife. They seem far more isolated from the Thai population than ex-pats in other areas of Thailand. Of course this is not true of everyone there. But this type of behaviour, in my view, would make people far more likely to be cheated, robbed, or attacked.

logic dictates that when staying in your house with your wife you are far more likely to be cheated, robbed or attacked :D i wish i had some of that stuff you ingest Garro. what is it called and is it legal in Thailand? :o

You talk to many ex-pats from Pattaya and it often sounds like they are under seige and that their life involves huddling in bars or staying in their house with their Thai wife. They seem far more isolated from the Thai population than ex-pats in other areas of Thailand. Of course this is not true of everyone there. But this type of behaviour, in my view, would make people far more likely to be cheated, robbed, or attacked.

logic dictates that when staying in your house with your wife you are far more likely to be cheated, robbed or attacked :D i wish i had some of that stuff you ingest Garro. what is it called and is it legal in Thailand? :o

Now now, Mr Naam, I'm sure you know that is not what I meant. My point was that certain type of people seem to be more unfortunate than others when it comes to being attacked, robbed, and cheated. I go to Pattaya about once or twice a year for a few days. I don't drink in bars, but I still bump into ex-pats who live there.

A few weeks back I happened to be staying into a hotel there and bumped into an ex-pat committee for some local community. Apparently it was a gated community with security guards to keep the natives out. They were having a meeting. I got talking to a couple of them and the life they described was one of living under siege. They thought everyone was out to screw them, including all the other westerners. I have heard the same complaints other times and from other ex-pats in Pattaya.

I think if you like Pattaya, good for you and enjoy it. Be proud of it. My objection though is the OP who was suggesting that living in Pattaya somehow gave you street-smarts and that those of us who live outside Pattaya world are somehow more likely to be naively cheated out of everything.

Edited by garro

I tell my friends and family I live in Pattaya. Most don't know enough about Thailand to know what that means but I'm sure they've googled Pattaya, read the Wikipedia article (which seems to be closely monitored by TAT) and know that it's the biggest beach resort in Asia with lots of restaurants and a lively nightlife and (shock! horror!) some prostitutes. Who would have thought such things could be found in Thailand? The only people I've ever met who are narrow-minded enough to have negative views about a place they've never visited are sexually frustrated, Lonely Planet carrying British backpackers.

Now now, Mr Naam, I'm sure you know that is not what I meant. My point was that certain type of people seem to be more unfortunate than others when it comes to being attacked, robbed, and cheated. I go to Pattaya about once or twice a year for a few days. I don't drink in bars, but I still bump into ex-pats who live there.

A few weeks back I happened to be staying into a hotel there and bumped into an ex-pat committee for some local community. Apparently it was a gated community with security guards to keep the natives out. They were having a meeting. I got talking to a couple of them and the life they described was one of living under siege. They thought everyone was out to screw them, including all the other westerners. I have heard the same complaints other times and from other ex-pats in Pattaya.

I think if you like Pattaya, good for you and enjoy it. Be proud of it. My objection though is the OP who was suggesting that living in Pattaya somehow gave you street-smarts and that those of us who live outside Pattaya world are somehow more likely to be naively cheated out of everything.

i neither like Pattaya nor do i enjoy it Garro. what i like and enjoy is living in the home i built in a gated community which by coincidence is located 3-4km (as the crow flies) from Pattaya city center. like you i visit Pattaya twice a year when two dozen friends from abroad fly in for a get together. also, i don't look down on expats who live in the boonies. fact is that in my heart of hearts i envy them although they don't have easy access to all the goodies (food and drinks) which are easily available in Pattaya's various shops.

i neither like Pattaya nor do i enjoy it Garro. what i like and enjoy is living in the home i built in a gated community which by coincidence is located 3-4km (as the crow flies) from Pattaya city center. like you i visit Pattaya twice a year when two dozen friends from abroad fly in for a get together. also, i don't look down on expats who live in the boonies. fact is that in my heart of hearts i envy them although they don't have easy access to all the goodies (food and drinks) which are easily available in Pattaya's various shops.

That's excactly what I do - visit a few times a year and look for items more easily found in Pattaya :o:D

CrowBoy - you mean Jenny's offered you, your job back as head dancer? :o

Sorry mate but age and bad living has caught up with me and I must admit the body can't take the rigours of dancing anymore. I have taken over as manager at the Outback Bar instead which is a much better place. Come over and I will buy you a beer. Sorry to report that we only have real ladies here so you will have to get your fill of ladyboys back in Boystown.

CB

CrowBoy - you mean Jenny's offered you, your job back as head dancer? :o

Sorry mate but age and bad living has caught up with me and I must admit the body can't take the rigours of dancing anymore. I have taken over as manager at the Outback Bar instead which is a much better place. Come over and I will buy you a beer. Sorry to report that we only have real ladies here so you will have to get your fill of ladyboys back in Boystown.

CB

Which outback CB, there are at least two !!

Hear! Hear!

I would however be very embarrassed to be seen drinking Chang.........or contributing to TV????

I told my friends I had a life!

I would however be very embarrassed to be seen drinking Chang.........or contributing to TV????

I told my friends I had a life!

.........but the number of your postings give you away :o

Edited by Taijitu

With some wives it might well be you are more likley to be attacked, robbed and cheated staying in your house.

My non-thai GF and me love going to pattaya for weekends, but my Thai mn thinks it is smut city and prefers Hua-hin.

Which outback CB, there are at least two !!
Yes - location is needed CB, how else can I collect a few blagged pints from you??? :o

There are two that I know of - I am in Soi Arunothai which runs off Central Pattaya road at Carre Four. Look for the Shagwell Hotel complex :D - we are part of that.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys.

CB