Which Touristy Things In Pattaya Are Worth It?

BugJackBaron

(1) Sanctuary of Truth? I'm curious about this one

(2) Ko Lan? OK I did this and it was a so-so afternoon, not worth doing again

(3) Million Year Park...? Did it once, was OK

(4) Underwater park?

(5) Ripley's Believe it or not!? At 400 baht per head it was too much for this cheap charlie.

(6) Crocodile farm?

(7) Mini golf range and mini siam??

Any others I missed?

Definitely worth a look

Just another beach, and not that clean anymore

I would recommend this one

(4) Underwater park?

Crappy overpriced mini-aquarium

(5) Ripley's Believe it or not!? At 400 baht per head it was too much for this cheap charlie.

Kids would like it

(6) Crocodile farm?

This is the same place as the Million Years Stone Park (3 above)

Wouldn't be on my list

Any others I missed?

I think the main one you have missed, which would be one of my top recommendations for anyone visiting Pattaya is Nong Nooch. Also the tiger zoo at Sriracha is worth a look, and maybe the elephant village out East.

Definitely worth a look

Just another beach, and not that clean anymore

I would recommend this one

(4) Underwater park?

Crappy overpriced mini-aquarium

Kids would like it

(6) Crocodile farm?

This is the same place as the Million Years Stone Park (3 above)

Wouldn't be on my list

Any others I missed?

I think the main one you have missed, which would be one of my top recommendations for anyone visiting Pattaya is Nong Nooch. Also the tiger zoo at Sriracha is worth a look, and maybe the elephant village out East.

and whats wrong with soi 6 :o it makes a wonderfull day out, its the same as disney world except the rides are better :D

IMO, the value of all "tourist attractions" is relative to the tourist's prior experience. If, for example, you've never been "up close and personal" with an elephant, any of the several "elephant trek" attractions is worth the price. As noted earlier, the croc farms, and the Tiger Zoo, with its' various shows, are also quite a thrill and education for anyone who's never seen such things before.

(Yes, the same can be said for Soi 6!) :o

The view from the top of Pratumnak Hill is quite a sight, and that's free. Same for Buddha Hill. And the various beach options, like parasailing, jet skies, banana boats, etc., are also great for people who've never had those experiences. And then there's Thai food, from great seafood, to the best assortment of fantastic fruits in the world!

There are more than enough very enjoyable attractions in and around Pattaya for most people to have a full, active, and fantastic one week vacation here, assuming that they're not "experienced world travellers" who've experienced most or all of this stuff before.

I first visited Thailand in 1971. During those 10 days in BKK, and during my first visits to Pattaya, Chang Mai, Phuket, and Ko Samui, I enjoyed the various attractions and environments of all of those places. I've now lived in the Pattaya area for a bit more than two years, and I am not at all happy with is as a "home". But I'd still highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been here as a vacation site.

I went to the Sanctuary of Truth recently. It wasn't cheap but IMHO it was good value for money. The staff were the most professional (good Englsih speaking and knowledgeable) and friendly that I have found anywhere in Thailand, and the very big plus for me was that there is NO DUAL PRICING, and small kids go in for free.

You get to see a dolphin show, a tour round this incredible. wooden built mansion/temple, and also a classical dancing and martial arts performance. It's a good place and the family/kids will have a good afternoon.

The crocodile farm does have dual pricing, but it is worth a visit. The gardens are beautiful, and the crocks are pretty amazing. There is also a show. Again - a good afternoon for the family/kids.

Personally I would give Underwater world and Mini Siam a miss.

Ripley's is a good couple of hours for the kids , but I agree it is a bit overpriced.

I found Nong Nooch far too commercial for my taste, and just felt I was being ripped off everywhere,. And it is absolutely teeming with bus loads of Asian tourists.

There are many other places to go in and around Pattaya which are free or at very little cost. Do a search in the Pattaya Forum, they have been listed many times over.

I'm not sure if it's touristy but I always take people to Mini's Aviary on 3rd road/14th to see the birds. Take the birds to see the birds. It's free and you can have your picture taken with all the friendly and colorful birds.

Cabbages and Condoms (soi 4 Pratamnak) has a beautiful garden and restaurant overlooking the bay. Can't go wrong there.

Edited by Loosescrew

Tried the Pattaya Park tower revolving Restaurant the other day with my wife and a client from England.

Usually 500 baht for falang but if you take a Thai it's 300 p/p.

All you can Eat Buffet is okay. Free drinks and Dessert also. The food is moderate. Afterwards you can choose to descend on wire by the Gondola (lame) or a two person open aired platform (getting there) or just go the ballsy option and strap into a jacket tied to some wire (awesome!)

The best thing about the whole place of course is the full view of Pattaya, all the islands etc and lots and lots of water. Worth it just for the sit down revolving tour. Check it out!

Tried the Pattaya Park tower revolving Restaurant the other day with my wife and a client from England.

Usually 500 baht for falang but if you take a Thai it's 300 p/p.

All you can Eat Buffet is okay. Free drinks and Dessert also. The food is moderate. Afterwards you can choose to descend on wire by the Gondola (lame) or a two person open aired platform (getting there) or just go the ballsy option and strap into a jacket tied to some wire (awesome!)

The best thing about the whole place of course is the full view of Pattaya, all the islands etc and lots and lots of water. Worth it just for the sit down revolving tour. Check it out!

Alangkarn is one of my stops when I have visitors, can have dinner and then see the show, all the visitors I have taken have been quite impressed...I have been there too many times now...and the the thing that interests me the most is seeing how many of the elephants have a sh*t on the stage....but for a one off...worth a visit..

Khao Kheow Open Zoo. You'll make your partner happy by taking her back to nature.

Must have improved a lot since I went there. The animals were very difficult to see and the whole place a bit shabby. Mind you that was a LONG time ago.

If you fancy a temple visit try the one off the road to Sattahip (I cannot remember it's name for the life of me but I@m sure someone can help out). There is a Thai wat one side of a lake and a Chinese temple the other. From memory the Chinese one has a large model of the terracotta army plus other exhibits the Thai wat is worth a stroll around and you can go up inside the Chedi (?) and view the various relics. There is also another side lake stocked with catfish that you can feed. You could take this in with a visit to Buddha mountain which is worth a visit but not necessarily a special trip.

I know temple trips are not everybody's cup of tea but you can make merit for yesterday's visit to the soi 6 culture centre. :o

The first set of posts recommended Nong Nuch . Personally, been there several times and hate the place. Chimps locked in tiny cages without water. Tigers with their teeth and claws removed and sat in the sun for hours (I once got into a row with the keepers after I saw one of them hit an old tiger - minus its fight-back equipment and obviously quite old - so hard on the head with a large stone I hears he crack a hundred yards away, he then laughed aloud). The elephant show is expensive, and the so called culture show (dancing and crap sword fighting) is ridiculously priced (the farang prioce being ten times that of the Thai price when I last went).

Much better Elephant shows around.

I enjoyed Mini-Siam, but its only a do once thing and half a day at that.

I found Nong Nooch far too commercial for my taste, and just felt I was being ripped off everywhere,. And it is absolutely teeming with bus loads of Asian tourists

Strange that you found it teeming with Asians , I like England but it is full of f@cking English.

The first set of posts recommended Nong Nuch . Personally, been there several times and hate the place. Chimps locked in tiny cages without water. Tigers with their teeth and claws removed and sat in the sun for hours (I once got into a row with the keepers after I saw one of them hit an old tiger - minus its fight-back equipment and obviously quite old - so hard on the head with a large stone I hears he crack a hundred yards away, he then laughed aloud). The elephant show is expensive, and the so called culture show (dancing and crap sword fighting) is ridiculously priced (the farang prioce being ten times that of the Thai price when I last went).

What a strange post. Was this something you read on the internet?

Prices are inclusive, and I saw no animal mistreatment during my last 2 visits. Culture show is crap - granted - but that gives you time to get a good seat for the elephants.

Strange that you found it teeming with Asians , I like England but it is full of f@cking English.

F@cking is what we do best, according to Noi. :o

The action to which you refer is invariably practiced by immigrants - on the natives.

What a strange post. Was this something you read on the internet?

Prices are inclusive, and I saw no animal mistreatment during my last 2 visits. Culture show is crap - granted - but that gives you time to get a good seat for the elephants.

Nope - its true - sorry, but it is. Last time I was there was about 5 or 6 years ago, so it might have changed, but when I went there last this is what happened (the tiger being thumped). The chimpos were in cages set into the concrete (barred to the front) near the climbing wall and the tiger pens (and the tiny aviary) - I gave the chimps water by pouring it into their hands they put through ther bars. It was really sad. Its was not all inclusive - the culture show was extra and expensive. The elephant football/painting show was good, but we had to pay for it too. Things may have changed, but I doubt it. I am sure if you search here you will find posts from me before saying exactly the same thing as I have said it several times before. Just because you do not see it, does not mean it doesn't happen. I sowre at the time not to go back and to tell people that ask me 'where to go in Thailand' to retell, so I will.

PS: Why is it a 'strange' post? Because you disagree, it makes it strange? Do you know what the term 'strange' means?

Khao Kheow Open Zoo. You'll make your partner happy by taking her back to nature.

Must have improved a lot since I went there. The animals were very difficult to see and the whole place a bit shabby. Mind you that was a LONG time ago.

Was there last October with the family. Started with a breakfast just inside the gate, then toured the zoo. Still shabby, still difficult to see the animals. By about 2 o'clock the kids had had enough and we left.

Also lost my <deleted> passport there and had to pay an 'overstay' fine by the time I got a new one! Not handed in or anything.

If you fancy a temple visit try the one off the road to Sattahip (I cannot remember it's name for the life of me but I@m sure someone can help out). There is a Thai wat one side of a lake and a Chinese temple the other. From memory the Chinese one has a large model of the terracotta army plus other exhibits the Thai wat is worth a stroll around and you can go up inside the Chedi (?) and view the various relics. There is also another side lake stocked with catfish that you can feed. You could take this in with a visit to Buddha mountain which is worth a visit but not necessarily a special trip.

I know temple trips are not everybody's cup of tea but you can make merit for yesterday's visit to the soi 6 culture centre. :o

Wat Yansangarawan, or Wat Yan as it is known locally, easy to find from the signposts on Sukhumvit, and from there why not head to Khow Chee Chan (big Buddah image) and Silverlake vineyard, 5 minute drive from Wat Yan.

If you "hate" the place, why have you been "several" times?

Just to update people about Nong Nooch.

It's now called Nong Nooch Tropical garden and Resort. There's quite a bit of building work going on there at the moment - looks like new accomodation, restaurants, shops, etc.

There have always been a few Thai style bungalows for rent in the gardens and it was a beautiful and inexpensive place to stay. In my opinion, the new buildings are not in keeping with the style of the place.

In the past it was possible to pay a 100b entrance fee (20 for Thailand residents - including foreigners) then pay an additional fee to see the 'Culture' show and Elephant Show.

Recently the fee structure has changed and a flat fee of 400b is charged (200b for residents). This fee includes the gardens and both shows.

Dozens of package trips (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc) arrive in coaches each day. They all go to see the shows, which get very crowded, but hardly anyone takes a tour of the gardens.

To anyone who hasn't been I would recommend it. The 'Culture' show is a bit lame but the elephant show is good fun. Yes, it is a commercial place where you are steered through the gift shop to get to the shows, and things are a little more expensive there (40b for a coconut) but it isn't a rip off.

By far the best thing about Nong Nooch is the gardens (very large and being extended)where you can spend hours exploring using the elevated walkways and ground level paths. It's just a shame you can no longer just pay to walk around the gardens.

Personally, I avoid the small zoo and the photo opportunities with the sad tigers and orang utan, for the reasons given by other posters, but the tourists seem to enjoy it, so market forces apply.

Whenever we have visitors from home we take them to Nong Nooch. Nobody has come away disappointed. I would rate it among the top 2-3 family attractions in the Pattaya area.

No, I don't work for the N.N. tourist office.

Because I took other people (touring friends) that wanted to go. The tiger incident was the last time and I have refused to go back since; before then I was mostly putting up with the expensive 'shows'/dual pricing (they actually tried to sell my Thai wife and friends farang price tickets because - as the woman said - the farang is paying!) and the sad animals and caging (putting it down to TiT and having seen similar elsewhere). Sorry Sherlock, try another.

Chickenlegs, I am glad they have sorted out the pricing (still dual pricing, but hey so are many places). I hope the building also includes new pens for the animals (chimps especially) - if they have not already been rehomed. As I said, haven't been back for half a decade, so if it has changed, then maybe I'll check it out agian and possibly reassess my views. I did enjoy the gardens and raised platforms (never stayed there though).

Edited by wolf5370

• 2 months later...

I went to Nong Nuch Tropical Garden for the first time last week and truly enjoyed myself. The place was empty. I am a palm collector and am very knowledgeable of world wide palms. Their collection is very impressive. As for plants, most were common, and nothing new, but were well maintained. I rented a bicycle and took my own private tour. I was in my own little world and didn't visit the place to see animals, although, next to where they rented the bikes I bought a few hands of bananas and fed them to the elephants. That was fun for my little girl. She screamed with joy everytime one reach out with it's trunk to grab a banana. My family took the tour tram and then went to the restuarant for a very good meal.

On the way to the Garden, we were pulled over by a couple of policeman for no reason. Our driver secretly slipped him 200 baht and off we went. The whole stop was about 10 seconds. The driver said it was a common practice for the police to do this, and was expecting it to be done again on the way back.

That was fascinating to me.

We had a great family day.

meandwi

Because I took other people (touring friends) that wanted to go. The tiger incident was the last time and I have refused to go back since; before then I was mostly putting up with the expensive 'shows'/dual pricing (they actually tried to sell my Thai wife and friends farang price tickets because - as the woman said - the farang is paying!) and the sad animals and caging (putting it down to TiT and having seen similar elsewhere). Sorry Sherlock, try another.

Chickenlegs, I am glad they have sorted out the pricing (still dual pricing, but hey so are many places). I hope the building also includes new pens for the animals (chimps especially) - if they have not already been rehomed. As I said, haven't been back for half a decade, so if it has changed, then maybe I'll check it out agian and possibly reassess my views. I did enjoy the gardens and raised platforms (never stayed there though).

Went on a half day tour couple years ago, and loved the garden. Been meaning to go back for a whole day, but now I will make sure I miss the zoo ( didn't notice it last time ) if I happen to come across it.

Love Thailand, but really hate the way some Thais treat animals. Animal illtreatment is not an exclusively Thai thing though, of course. The tiger zoo in Johor Baru back in the 1970s was atrocious, with tigers stuck in small concrete pens. Even New Zealand, sadly, has had it's share of putting big cats in tiny cages.