Suvarnabhumi Airport Beefs Up Security After Cases Of Thefts

george

Suvarnabhumi Airport beefs up security after cases of thefts

BANGKOK: -- Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport Serirat Prasutanont (เสรีรัตน์ ประสุตานนท) has ordered security personnel and baggage claim personnel to take stringent measures on insuring the safety of passenger luggage both for domestic and international flights.

Mr. Serirat has commissioned more security officers to be present in various positions such as the baggage sorting area and claiming area.

Strict checks are to be conducted as to people passing through the areas. The airport is also expediting the installation of closed circuit cameras.

Latest news reveal that authorities in the airport have apprehended 5 suspects linked to the thefts of valuable items in April.

The suspects are all employees of a flight service company and are currently being investigated by police.

Police are collecting evidence and witness testimonials on the case and expect to be able to conclude the matter within the end of this month.

--PRD 2008-05-25

BANGKOK: -- Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport Serirat Prasutanont (เสรีรัตน์ ประสุตานนท) has ordered security personnel and baggage claim personnel to take stringent measures on insuring the safety of passenger luggage both for domestic and international flights.

Mr. Serirat has commissioned more security officers to be present in various positions such as the baggage sorting area and claiming area.

Strict checks are to be conducted as to people passing through the areas. The airport is also expediting the installation of closed circuit cameras.

Latest news reveal that authorities in the airport have apprehended 5 suspects linked to the thefts of valuable items in April.

The suspects are all employees of a flight service company and are currently being investigated by police.

Police are collecting evidence and witness testimonials on the case and expect to be able to conclude the matter within the end of this month.

--PRD 2008-05-25

Even before I read the article I knew that the thefts would be carried out by people working at the airport. There have been numerous reports of security staff stealing valuables. Also if 5 of them are at it, it is likely there is a Fagin-like gangmaster behind them. Usually they hush all this up as best they can. Possibly a new appointment smearing his predecessor or bringing in his own thieving gang and warning others to stay off his turf.

Even before I read the article I knew that the thefts would be carried out by people working at the airport. There have been numerous reports of security staff stealing valuables. Also if 5 of them are at it, it is likely there is a Fagin-like gangmaster behind them. Usually they hush all this up as best they can. Possibly a new appointment smearing his predecessor or bringing in his own thieving gang and warning others to stay off his turf.

Are you implying that former PM Gen. Chavalit is behind this? :o

Even before I read the article I knew that the thefts would be carried out by people working at the airport.

Also if 5 of them are at it, it is likely there is a Fagin-like gangmaster behind them.

Oh jeez, another stellar product of the UK educational system?

No doubt the thefts would be the result of baggage handling staff at the airport, as that is the case at almost every other airport in the world with theft problems. But "Fagin-gang-like gangmaster"? :o In Dicken's novel, Fagin recruited homeless children,trained them to be pickpockets, and lived off the avails of their petty crime. Even in slang, the term Fagin is used to describe an elderly male that trains children for crime and retains a portion of the proceeds. Hardly an appropriate reference as the implicated workers will most likely not have been waifs from the streets of Bangkok nor even children.

What's next, a description of the ringleader of a "repulsive" fellow with a crooked back and large nose? I don't think so. I anticipate that the immediate boss will be dressed rather nicely and wearing alot of expensive gold. the only thing he might have in common with Fagin are brown discoloured teeth.

ps. - I suggest you pick up a copy of Oliver Twist and read it, particularly the description of Fagin in the final chapters. The physical description is nothing close to the exagerated portrayal taken in the movies.

One of the advantages of being relatively poor is that I never have a problem with stuff being taken from my bag--they'd have to be mighty poor to want my tattered underwear!

I always lock my bag. I don't understand how they steal stuff. How do they know which bag to look in, cos thay can only have a matter of minutes?

I have a relative who worked as a baggage handler in Oz for years. He always advised me not to put valuables in my hold baggage and use a hard shell suitcase. He claimed after years of handling baggage they had a fair idea of what was in each bag just from the weight and sound of it.

Over the years I know a couple of people who lost cameras and other valuables from soft suitcases that had been cut open. The only time I’ve heard of a hard shell case being pilfered was after one was lost for a few days by an airline.

Just an effect of globalisation: the Thiefrow syndrome spreads everywhere.

(Says he, who had a complete bag 'lifted' from his trolley whilst he was dozing.

The kindly policewoman explained how the 'piranha' operate.

Coming off shift, they 'lift' a bag on their way to the Car Park, pop it in the boot of their car, and are gone.

Or, at a work break, they 'lift' one and nip into a toilet with it, where they take any pocketable valuables and leave the rest to be found by the cleaners.

The worst thing for me was losing an address book that my late wife had used for the previous forty years, and having no 'backup' copy.)

Last year my luggage didn't arrive at Suvarnibhumi airport. I had to describe my cases and also leave the keys (for customs purposes). The day after, my luggage arrived at the airport and was delivered to my home - it had been opened but everything was intact.

I was very pleased with the way everything had been handled at Suvarnibhumi.

After arriving home and opening my "locked" luggage I found an extra shaving kit inside. Besides the usual stuff there was a bunch of insulin and hypodermic needles. Amazing Thailand!

I believe no lock is safe from people at the airport. If they cannot breach a lock it will convince them that the bag actually contains valuables. Bag gone.

My boss flew from Krabi to Bangkok (Suwannaphum) and then from Bangkok to Chiang Rai on the 27th of April. He forgot to remove his mobile phone from his checked in luggage. That was the last time he saw it.

Edited by toybits

ASM (Asia Security Management) is a division of Loxley, and they obtained a sole-sourced, exclusive, long-term contract to provide all security services at SBIA. AoT has long been unhappy with ASMs performance and has been trying to abrogate the contract, unsuccessfully.

The airport has been plagued with crime since it's opening and it's not about to stop.

whining again, aren't you too busy being chased around by your neighbours dog....... I say this coz I really wonder when your going to say something constructive!

My travels have taken me through Sawanphum at least 50 times now. Not a single thing lost or indication of a bag open. I dont like the airport or the setup of Domestic termial within Sawanaphum but I can't fault the baggage handling.

The buses are another matter........ The other day we got lied to big time by the captain or whoever the annoucer on the plane is called. We pulled up to Gate C2. We were told that due to heavy rain the airbridge was not functioning and had to leave through the back of the plane..... great for a loaded 777...... Anyway, this was all <deleted>. C2 is an international terminal. Since we had just arrived from Chiangmai (domestic) they did not want us to leave via the airbridge into the terminal which would have been the international section..... We had to leave through the rear via wet stairs, run through the rain to those STUPID F****in' buses. We got driven around for 15minutes before being dropped of near the domestic stairs..... Plainly idiotic and a waste of time. So much for trying not to waste fuel! We could have walked the distance in half the time. As it was I had to walk all the way back to the international section to board my OS flight, another 15 minutes!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

If do a search on youtube there are loads of videos showing how to beak into cases, defeat combo locks etc, its frightenly easy.Like most of us I use a flight case with a zipper with 2 tabs which are locked together with a padlock. secure? no way, the crooks use a pen to force the zip apart, nick your gear and then use the tabs to fasten the zip back up. Takes seconds and there is no sign of forced entry, you'll know nothing till you open the case at your hotel. The only solution is to carry your valubles on board with you.

How do they know which bag to look in, cos thay can only have a matter of minutes?

X-ray machines, installed for "security" reveal all ,and make it very easy for these rogues. :o

All luggage is subject to inspection, anytime, at any point.

I use to pit those little combo locks to secure zippers, etc, really just to keep the bag from inadvertently opening only to find them cut off with a tag saying ... bag inspected ..., etc, now I just use a small tie-rap and carry anything really valuable on my person.

Basically I operate from a position that I fully expect the bag to be lost or delayed to the point where it's of little value to me, very cheap to re-gear as far as clothing, toiletries, etc. mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

It's rather quite simple. Don't place valuables into a checked bag. Take all your cameras, cell phones, dvd players, mp3 players laptops and irreplaceable mementos in your carry-on. A carry-on is meant for these items as well as your medicines, currency, and I always place at least one change of clothes into mine.

Regards,

Martian

All luggage is subject to inspection, anytime, at any point.

I use to pit those little combo locks to secure zippers, etc, really just to keep the bag from inadvertently opening only to find them cut off with a tag saying ... bag inspected ..., etc, now I just use a small tie-rap and carry anything really valuable on my person.

Basically I operate from a position that I fully expect the bag to be lost or delayed to the point where it's of little value to me, very cheap to re-gear as far as clothing, toiletries, etc. mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

I totally agree with this post.

I posted about this before but my hardcase luggage had screwdriver prymarks on the combo lock where it was pretty obvious that someone made a breakin attempt. My suitcase has 3 locks and the 2 sidelocks were open when I pulled it off the belt with the combo lock being the only thing that prevented the little thieves from ripping off the computer hardware I had inside.

Take all your cameras, cell phones, dvd players, mp3 players laptops and irreplaceable mementos in your carry-on.

With all that in your carry on I am surprised you have any check in baggage. :o

How much does your carry on weigh??

50 trips through the new airport and you still can’t spell it? I know your alphabetic representation is close to the Thai phonetic pronunciation, but does anyone really spell it like this in English, or are you a pecksniffian expat trying to demonstrate “intellect”?

I do agree with you on those bloody buses though. Many times they are used, even when many gates are available; methinks it has something to do with shutting down certain parts of the building to save on aircon/staffing/maintenance costs.

The airport has been plagued with crime since it's opening and it's not about to stop.

whining again, aren't you too busy being chased around by your neighbours dog....... I say this coz I really wonder when your going to say something constructive!

My travels have taken me through Sawanphum at least 50 times now. Not a single thing lost or indication of a bag open. I dont like the airport or the setup of Domestic termial within Sawanaphum but I can't fault the baggage handling.

The buses are another matter........ The other day we got lied to big time by the captain or whoever the annoucer on the plane is called. We pulled up to Gate C2. We were told that due to heavy rain the airbridge was not functioning and had to leave through the back of the plane..... great for a loaded 777...... Anyway, this was all <deleted>. C2 is an international terminal. Since we had just arrived from Chiangmai (domestic) they did not want us to leave via the airbridge into the terminal which would have been the international section..... We had to leave through the rear via wet stairs, run through the rain to those STUPID F****in' buses. We got driven around for 15minutes before being dropped of near the domestic stairs..... Plainly idiotic and a waste of time. So much for trying not to waste fuel! We could have walked the distance in half the time. As it was I had to walk all the way back to the international section to board my OS flight, another 15 minutes!

50 trips through the new airport and you still can't spell it? I know your alphabetic representation is close to the Thai phonetic pronunciation, but does anyone really spell it like this in English, or are you a pecksniffian expat trying to demonstrate "intellect"?

I do agree with you on those bloody buses though. Many times they are used, even when many gates are available; methinks it has something to do with shutting down certain parts of the building to save on aircon/staffing/maintenance costs.

Well you might have worked out I'm a land surveyor and architect by trade, call me Seth to get my attention!

Believe it or not, I think I have managed to spell it in over 10 different ways. Any country that decides to call it's main airport such a complex name deserves reason questioned. SawanaBumi, SuwanaPhumi, SuwanaPhum, SawaniBhumi, Sawunapoom oh...... whatever...

Edited by jayjayjayjay

'

I think George is having a quiet chortle over this one :-

Suvarnabhumi Airport beefs up security after cases of thefts.

and the altenative heading of :-

Suvarnabhumi Airport beefs up security after theft of cases.

But I may be wrong.............. :o

The airport is also expediting the installation of closed circuit cameras.

I thought this was supposed to be a state of the art airport and there are no security cameras? :o

The airport is also expediting the installation of closed circuit cameras.

I thought this was supposed to be a state of the art airport and there are no security cameras? :o

installation has to be done under controlled circumstances, ie, giving money hungry department heads time to cash in first, afterall, it's were all those farang's are landing in the country!!!

--PRD 2008-05-25

Since the title of the thread was 'Suvarnabhumi Airport Beefs Up Security After Cases Of Thefts' it wasn't that hard to anticipate who the thefts were by before reading the article, was it? lol :o

Thefts at airports by baggage handlers is commonplace. Heathrow used to have the nickname 'Thiefrow' for just that reason.

• 4 weeks later...