Have Fallen Out Of Love With The Geckos

sunnitimes

Ok, so as a newbie here in Chiang Mai I thought the bug eyed geckos were just too cute. Was even thinking of titling my novel-in-progress "The Kitchen Gecko". I have gone from love, to co-existence, to tolerance, to dislike, to loathing, to all out declaration of war.

I am beyond Buddhist live and let live chants. Anyone have any ideas of how I go about ridding my home of these creatures?? Heard about a product called "Wet Feet" which when the dears run across it causes them to lose the grippers that allow them to adher to surfaces. No luck finding said product in Chiang Mai. I have set sticky rat trap pad around where they tend to run, they run around those.

I am open to any ideas that do not involve fire arms, dynamite or massive damage to interior walls. Help!!!

What you need is a cat. If you're not a cat lover, better get a dog to keep the cat in check. If you get the dog, the gf you have or will have, will tell you to get one of these:

post-25601-1211721358_thumb.jpg

but don't you believe her. Geckoes aren't so bad considering...

They were here first :D .

To part-quote the song - "........love the one you're with". They do a good job of mopping up bugs and creepy-crawlies that you'll dislike even more.

I could let you borrow my cat - she's a wizz at catching them - but not a pretty sight when she eats them head first and tail last :o . But then, she still hasn't mastered the Spiderman skill of getting to them on the walls and ceilings........ Bigger gecko's are good at that, though! :D

Edited by Steve2UK

What you need is a cat. If you're not a cat lover, better get a dog to keep the cat in check. If you get the dog, the gf you have or will have, will tell you to get one of these:

:o:D :D That cage ... uuhhh ... doghouse .... has become one of your darkest nightmares. :D

What they did that was so annoying was first, they multiplied way beyond the bug population of the home and second with no bugs to eat they loll around leaving their "calling cards" on the furniture, tables, wherever.

Actually it is the spiderman stuff that I need as if the sweeties make it to the ground they are easy prey for even oldie goldie me to pounce on. Been known to use the mossie raquet to try to bring them down. Only works on the little ones though.

Not buying the old saw the they aren't so bad.

Hey, were do you think that "house" could be some sort of alternative house for the geckos; kind of like a spirit house only it would be a gecko house?? I really am looking for solutions to the overpopulation of geckos. One or two ok, maybe; the entire extended family, no can do.

Hey, were do you think that "house" could be some sort of alternative house for the geckos; kind of like a spirit house only it would be a gecko house?? I really am looking for solutions to the overpopulation of geckos. One or two ok, maybe; the entire extended family, no can do.

Don't get into the whole Spirit House thing. I saw a real nice wooden one today about 1mx1mx1m outside a wat. I said to the girlfriend that would make a really cool doghouse ad that led to a heated "crosscultural moment". Don't go there.

Actually it is the spiderman stuff that I need as if the sweeties make it to the ground they are easy prey for even oldie goldie me to pounce on.

OK, I'm going to hate myself (and if I don't, others will) for suggesting this: try spraying the high-up ones from a big can of mossie killer or of the other type which has a long, thin metal "pipe" in the nozzle for squirting into crevices - very accurate.

Upon reflection there was a time when the single gecko in the house scurried around eating bugs, then there were more geckos and almost no bugs, then there seem to be a lot of tiny, tiny geckos who were not at all interested in the bugs. And now I have lots of full grown geckos and the bugs fly around the house with impunity. They stopped doing their job of bug control at which point I became acutely aware of just how ugly they really were.

Actually it is the spiderman stuff that I need as if the sweeties make it to the ground they are easy prey for even oldie goldie me to pounce on.

OK, I'm going to hate myself (and if I don't, others will) for suggesting this: try spraying the high-up ones from a big can of mossie killer or of the other type which has a long, thin metal "pipe" in the nozzle for squirting into crevices - very accurate.

That was marginally successful tonight (which I when I thought to ask you guys, the "experts"). A blast of raid momentarily stunned the high up ones, they fell to the ground where I could then finish them off with the mossie racquet. Except for the one that landed in the spice rack in which case it was able to make a quick get away as I searched amongst the bottles. I was hoping for a method that did not require so much direct contact on my part.

What they did that was so annoying was first, they multiplied way beyond the bug population of the home and second with no bugs to eat they loll around leaving their "calling cards" on the furniture, tables, wherever.

The only way they can leave a calling card is if they have eaten the bugs you don't see. Nothing in = Nothing out / Bug in = Calling card. Its an easy equation really.

If you want to get rid of them, fill the house with a constant spray of insecticide. You will rid them of food and they will go elsewhere.

Otherwise, regard their calling cards as that many fewer mosquitoes, roaches, house flies, ants, termites and other genuinely harmful visitors and thank your lucky stars the geckos are there to stop you getting any one of a number of nasty diseases.

Wrong -- others will even if you don't.

Geckos are attracted to bugs and bugs are attracted to light. Keep an outside light on where the bugs can get to, and you will find the geckos and bugs will party all night.

Keep on persecuting the geckos and you might just come back as one :o

Just today, I was really noticing a gecko on the other side of the frosted glass in the toilet window. I had an emotional moment, asking myself if I 'loved' him. Nope. The thought of hating them never entered my pacifist mind. But my geckos are hard working, and I never see more than two at once. Their doodoo (aka "poo") is not noticeable.

I say, let's not declare war or peace on them.

Or, if you live in a ground-level house, consider moving to a condo, on a high floor.

I was on the 5th floor up until 2 months ago in my building. Tons of bugs, geckos and detritus in my room. Then moved to the 11th floor....bingo, almost no bugs and almost no geckos.

I have one tiny little feller, I call him "Bert"- he lives behind my suitcase in the corner of the room.

If I flick on the lights, middle of the night for the restroom call, I'll see him dash for the shadows....

I have such pity for this tiny critter and his lack of food supply, I'm thinking of trapping flies to feed him.

Geckos are our friends....dengue fever, malaria, and many other vermin-borne illnesses are not our friend.

Live, and let live.

Not wrong. Think it through from a philosophical perspective............ :o

Geckos are attracted to bugs and bugs are attracted to light. Keep an outside light on where the bugs can get to, and you will find the geckos and bugs will party all night.

Keep on persecuting the geckos and you might just come back as one :o

This I will try, the thought of coming back as a gecko is truly frightening. Somedays I think they go outside and eat the bugs there and just come in the house to poo. I know this is not a rational thought.......then again, this is Thailand.

I was speaking in terms of logic, and have no idea what philosophical perspective you have in mind.

I was speaking in terms of logic, and have no idea what philosophical perspective you have in mind.

Would agree with the Not Wrong declaration; especially since this was the only post that address destruction of these creatures as opposed to the posts that veered dangerously close to the Embrace Your Inner Gecko mantra. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that you guys were gecko softies? Also, sorry if I offended someone's Great Aunt/Uncle.

need a translation.....mossie raquet? is that a tennis raquet?sorry I am a Canuck,never heard that one before..
Mosquito rackets, battery powered, that zap with a battery-chaarged spark when you swat at the bugs. I will bet they would come in handy up in mosquito-infested northern Canada.

PeaceBlondie,considering I grew up in Thunder Bay, in Northwestern Ontario,yes they would have really come in handy...Now that you have explained what it is,I do recall seeing the raquets used at Gullivers off Sukhimvit,they had them by the bar,I think they were using them to kill the "crawling insects".thanks for the translation.

Like spiders they eat bugs - I would rather have the Gecko than the bugs.

We found another scopion (rat tailed as posted elsewhere on TV) last night - I saved the dog from jumping on it and let it have free run of the kitchen - they eat beetles, nice scopion.

who could fail to adore the little cuties..

2523465431_25879e469b_o.jpg

once, one of 'em decided to take refuge in our electric toaster.. he never bothered to exit his most excellent 'den' as we decided to switch it on !

i often find flattened ones in the hinged side of our door frames.

i think they do great job, love their chirping calls too.. :o

Here's one I found on the side of my house "screaming" at around 3 a.m. last week.

I've named him Frank.

I think he could give a cat a hard time..

About 11 inches long and around 5 inches wide..bug in, bug out..ha, this one leaves "bug out" about the size of a dog shit..

Ya wouldn't find him next to ya on yer pillow...he'd own it.

post-46099-1211815827_thumb.jpg