The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

Yep it was indeed such a build-up this morning when I stepped out of the car park lifts at 9.50am into the 5th floor and saw one other guy waiting there before me. I sat down and we waited for him to show up (the security guards will not let anyone walk around until dead on 10am!). It was just unfortunate that the GOM telephoned the cafe this morning telling them not to place out his breakfast because he's travelling abroad for a meeting today, but will be there tomorrow morning, so it will have to be replayed.

Whilst ordering another TV member placed himself next to the first, me and one other next to them, taking up all seats along "his" window bar. What a shame it was the one day he didn't show.

I can imagine him coming early tomorrow but if he sees me he will race to the seat. If he sees others waiting I don't think he'll realise that they're making a play for his spot. It will then kick off, and I'll join the area a few mins later. However, once he realises that random people are playing for the spot I can foresee it being a 10am race for the seat every morning. This is one zealous customer who's not shy to make a fool of himself.

Get ready folks...oh, and video cams will be on hand for youtube pleasure.

I couldn't wait to get home tonight and catch up on 'Events!' Txs for the updates guys!

If nothing else, this is a great way for fellow TV members to bond! :D I get the sense from reading this thread that that sense of anticipation is almost tangible for us all, avidly devouring any tidbits of news like we hadn't eaten for days! And from Posters all over the Nation! :D

Some great ideas for follow up by Cuban - Wow you really have been thinking about how to develop this into a fullblown attack eh - taking it onto the BTS too - MAD!!! :D

Wonder what the reaction would be if say, a female appeared, upset and crying, as 'her seat had been taken!' (like the little kid who has had her toy taken off her!) Would he be a Gent and relinquish his stool....???????

Hilarious that the staff are now fully involved. They are always so polite and helpful there so it adds insult to injury that they bear the brunt of his displeasure. :o

Keep it up guys :D (Mission Impossible theme to fade out)

SO IT'S YOU TITS WHO ARE STEALING MY SEAT!!!!!!! I HUNT YOU DOWN AND MAKE YOU DIE TO DEATH!

:o

I'll be there in due course. Tools of the trade include:

1) ringtone "we shall not, we shall not be moved"

2) LARGE map of thailand spread over the table - condiments anchoring it.(alternatively several newspapers opened at job sections)

3) Large Backpack - including ballast

4) Laptop open, connected, recording audio/video

That'll do it for now, i think.

Hilarious that the staff are now fully involved.

Yes, they must be absolutely loving it, I imagine they rush to work everyday. :o

I watched the staffs faces when they saw 4 different people walk in dead on opening time and take his place and those around it. Priceless. It went from bewilderment to worry to hilarity very quickly.

The manageress told my wife that the guy acts the same with anyone. A few weeks ago a mother and child happened to be in that place and again he got angry, sat next to them and stared them out, at which point they soon moved. Not good.

i remember a "candid camera" stunt on tv from years ago where a man was sitting in a cafe drinking a cup of tea or coffee and the candid camera man came and sat next to him , pulled out a packet of digestive biscuits from his coat pocket , took one out of the packet and proceeded to dunk it in the mans drink before taking a bite and then re-dunking it , all the time with an expression of nonchalance his face as if to say " this is normal , i do this all the time"

the customer sat with a look of disbelief on his face for a couple of minutes , during which time another 2 biscuits had been dunked and consumed , before walking over to the cashier , paying and leaving.

As with one of the many posts above this appeals to the little voice inside me that says keep on poking until he explodes, although I normally manage to do this on the road.
Spare a thought for the Asst Manager. She has to take his abuse and may be worried about the repercussions if he complains about her.
The staff are right behind us on this one, and find it every bit as amusing as we all do.

To those that are able to attend this daily spectacle it might be worth the five minutes it takes to draw up a short letter of thanks to the member of staff that assisted you during a mythical encounter with 'The GOM'. This then forms part of the staff's defence from any attack that their managment may direct at them at a future date prompted by GOM's complaints.

GOM's action of moving stools to avoid people sitting too close is petty and can only cause futher poking....

What paper does GOM read - worth getting a letter published there?

(If published follow up with response for the need of public space seat resevations scheme.)

If the two TV members could keep a straight face a mock argument over another seat might be fun.

Ordering the same food and wearing the same clothes would be a really childish thing to do, almost as bad as copying his movements, turning the page, sip of coffee etc.....

A few days of letting him have his sit first could be spent in staking out the route he takes to get there, if you were able to identify his parking spot or seat on the BTS, could it be a personal victory to take the war outside of the coffee shop.

To the discussion about his OCD status, unlikely to be serious clinical OCD as you say that he changes travel time etc. This would be part of the ritual and also set in stone. Also unlikely to complain to anyone seeking redress.

Is there a Thai televison programme similar to Candid Camera (hidden cameras) - they might like this situation?Although in these days of YouTube his fame may be nearer still.

Good luck OP.

Some great ideas there! Love SeaVisionBurma's idea of giving him a guard of honour on his way in too, mentioned a couple of pages back. Copying his clothes, newspaper, etc. and having a pretent strop about another seat could be a work of genius but would be very difficult to do without bursting into fits of laughter I think.

By the way, on a side issue, how come so many people have free time to go to the Emporium at 10am on work days? Don't you guys have jobs?! :o

Of course, with that in mind, Saturday could be a huge day for this new spectator sport...

A few days of letting him have his sit first could be spent in staking out the route he takes to get there, if you were able to identify his parking spot or seat on the BTS, could it be a personal victory to take the war outside of the coffee shop.

Diabolical.

I love it. :o

By the way, on a side issue, how come so many people have free time to go to the Emporium at 10am on work days? Don't you guys have jobs?! :D

Of course, with that in mind, Saturday could be a huge day for this new spectator sport...

I can't speak for everyone, but myself and the two guys today are in the situation where we can work from home most days as and when. I drop my son off at kindergarten nearby Emporium at 9am so breakfast there and a little people-watching start the day nicely.

Saturday and Sunday is going to be bigger than the FA Cup Final. There are also quite a few (guys and girls, Thai and Western) on Facebook who intend to be there for an early breakfast for a while until the situation unfolds and calm is restored to this quaint corner of expat society. All I know is by the weekend anyone planning on turning up had better be a) up early and a good morning jogger, and :o not embarrassed to run in a shopping centre when the doors open, cos I have a feeling this guy won't be backing down easily.

By the way, on a side issue, how come so many people have free time to go to the Emporium at 10am on work days? Don't you guys have jobs?! :D

I can't speak for everyone, but myself and the two guys today are in the situation where we can work from home most days as and when. I drop my son off at kindergarten nearby Emporium at 9am so breakfast there and a little people-watching start the day nicely.

Saturday and Sunday is going to be bigger than the FA Cup Final. There are also quite a few (guys and girls, Thai and Western) on Facebook who intend to be there for an early breakfast for a while until the situation unfolds and calm is restored to this quaint corner of expat society. All I know is by the weekend anyone planning on turning up had better be a) up early and a good morning jogger, and :D not embarrassed to run in a shopping centre when the doors open, cos I have a feeling this guy won't be backing down easily.

omg! On facebook too..... This is gonna be HUGE! :o Oriental better get ready with some more of those darned stools! :D

TOTALLY MAD! :D

Its just a short trip for me as well, and well worth being there for the spectacle..... Livin' la Vida LOS kah? Since we work from home, its not a real biggy, unfortunately I am out of town over the weekend so won't be there, lets hope I get my fix tomm....

I know I'm going to get absolutely flamed for this but..............

Having read the entire topic a couple of times I have to say that this so reminiscent of school.

We find a weirdo.

He's got a bit of a personality issue.

We find it amusing.

We all gang up in what ever way we can to confront, embarrass, abuse, humiliate, and probably enhance this persons own sense of ill-being.

You people are gross. A bunch of arrogant, self satisfied, better than thou, egotists.

OK the initial thread. A bit of a weird bloke in a cafe. But this is a feeding frenzy. What is wrong with your lives that this is the only entertainment you can get out of life?

If your objective is to alter the guys behaviour ,the OP could, if he'd had the courage, done it quite simply, by talking. Not just once maybe but how ever many times the OP thought it neccessary. Given that we're assuming the OPs right to condemn this man.

But this frenzy is appalling. It's a tad like the tv shows that are so popular now. You know the ones;

small child falls of bicycle.

man falls over

ladies dress falls off

dog jumps on kid

etc etc etc

Brilliant tv for dumb assed wasters.

Is what you're doing any different.

I sense that the pack has smelt blood, and for no other reason that that there is nothing better to do, we'll all attack.

If your objective is to alter the guys behaviour ,the OP could, if he'd had the courage, done it quite simply, by talking. Not just once maybe but how ever many times the OP thought it neccessary. Given that we're assuming the OPs right to condemn this man.

jandajoy, maybe you need to read the postings for a 3rd time.

The OP did ask the GOM to come and speak to him, twice I believe, So he has made the effort to resolve the situation in a civilized manner, but the GOM declined the offer to talk with him.

Edited by thecatman

OK the initial thread. A bit of a weird bloke in a cafe. But this is a feeding frenzy. What is wrong with your lives that this is the only entertainment you can get out of life?

Just what I was thinking - sad.

Having read the entire topic a couple of times I have to say that this so reminiscent of school.

We find a weirdo.

We find it amusing.

We all gang up in what ever way we can to confront, embarrass, abuse, humiliate, and probably enhance this persons own sense of ill-being.

You people are gross. A bunch of arrogant, self satisfied, better than thou, egotists.

But this frenzy is appalling. It's a tad like the tv shows that are so popular now. You know the ones;

man falls over

ladies dress falls off

dog jumps on kid

etc etc etc

I sense that the pack has smelt blood, and for no other reason that that there is nothing better to do, we'll all attack.

Did you read all of the posts on all of the previous 9 pages?

The OP convinced me that the guy is a total rissole.

Sympathy for the fox, but this is no fox.

but if someone can get there first I'm sure we'll realise who is the protagonist and who is the tool very quickly.

no mate, we have spotted the tool.

jandajoy, maybe you need to read the postings for a 3rd time.

The OP did ask the GOM to come and speak to him, twice I believe, So he has made the effort to resolve the situation in a civilized manner, but the GOM declined the offer to talk with him.

So the OP failed and you all resort to this. Come on, mate.

You know as well as I do that this is a classic frenzy of bored people out to get at something they know they can't lose.

It's bullying in the classic sense and you should all, every one who's posted supporting the guys villification, should be ashamed.

Let's not forget this chap is a strong, healthy and wealthy looking CEO who, so far in the presence of several people including myself, has been ruder than I have ever encountered in my 6 years here. He distresses people purposefully and directly if he cannot have his way be them locals, foreigners, staff, women or children.

The entertainment is basically stopping him having his way so he can rant all he likes but not get anywhere, realising there is a group opposed to his behaviour. I did try to speak to him on Monday, the second time I saw him. He ignored me. I asked the manageress to tell him to come and talk with me if he has a problem with where I'm sitting on Tuesday. He didn't feel it necessary to talk with customers, only staff. Short of following him out of the cafe and standing in front of him so far I've been unable to talk to him, but tomorrow I will certainly try my damndest during his outburst.

Some people choose to ignore rude people and forget it ever happened, even knowing they will treat all other like dirt when you've gone and others actually want to express their views to the aggressor as to why he's demeaning himself. If you choose the former no problem.

It's bullying in the classic sense and you should all, every one who's posted supporting the guys villification, should be ashamed.

If seating on a stool in a restaurant is classed as 'bullying' then............. :o

The way I see it is, there's only one bully in this scenerio, and that's GOM and the way he treats the coffee shop staff.

Edited by thecatman

We find a weirdo.

We find it amusing.

man falls over

ladies dress falls off

dog jumps on kid

etc etc etc

Yes, I read it all, a lot.

So, the guys a "rissole" you put it. I'm not quite sure what that means but there you go.

You then say " Sympathy for the fox, but this is no fox."

What the hel_l is that meant to mean?

1. Fox hunting is good?

2. Fox hunting is bad?

3. The guys a Fox. i.e you think he's "foxy"?

4. You're the Fox?

I have no idea.

The fact remains that it's a feeding frenzy for no other reason that that you're all bored and have got nothing better to do.

Why would anyone wonder why modern media is as it is.

Disgracefull.

happy days all :o

We find a weirdo.

We find it amusing.

man falls over

ladies dress falls off

dog jumps on kid

etc etc etc

So, the guys a "rissole" you put it. I'm not quite sure what that means but there you go.

1. Fox hunting is good?

2. Fox hunting is bad?

4. You're the Fox?

I have no idea.

The fact remains that it's a feeding frenzy for no other reason that that you're all bored and have got nothing better to do.

Disgracefull.

happy days all :D

Fox hunting is a whole gang after one victim.

BUT in this case GOM is the one doing the bullying. He bullies the staff.

That makes OP the guy in the white hat, and GOM black hat.

Peace, love and more power to the OP's elbow :o

We find a weirdo.

We find it amusing.

man falls over

ladies dress falls off

dog jumps on kid

etc etc etc

1. Fox hunting is good?

2. Fox hunting is bad?

4. You're the Fox?

I have no idea.

Disgracefull.

happy days all :D

Fox hunting is a whole gang after one victim.

BUT in this case GOM is the one doing the bullying. He bullies the staff.

That makes OP the guy in the white hat, and GOM black hat.

Peace, love and more power to the OP's elbow :o

And this forum is not a gang ?

The fact that he's bullying the staff, alledgedly, is the staffs problem.

White hat vs Black hat ? What is this classic John Wayne politics?

OPs elbow/ Yes, Do what you feel is right OP but what's it to do with the rest of you?