Those Freaking Rubber Bands

cloudhopper

Plastic bag rubber band removal  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after many years here I have STILL not been able to get those rubber bands off the ubiquitous plastic bags. Can some kind soul attempt to explain how it's done? :o

None of the above, I let my wife do it. :D

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after many years here I have STILL not been able to get those rubber bands off the ubiquitous plastic bags. Can some kind soul attempt to explain how it's done? :o

just pull off the top knot; twist back a turn, then use your thumb nail to flick off the one wrapped back on itself.

Easy peasy.

It's one of the necessary survival skills for Thailand... getting food out of plastic wrappers. When the overnight bus stops after a run of six hours, I've bought things like dried bananas as I was starving but had to sit and look at them because you need scissors or a machete to get them out of the plastic wrapper.

And as for the khao mun ghai in plastic bags! Getting the sauce and hot soup out of their bags is impossible. I've tried slicing the top off the bag with scissors but usually the bag then collapses and squirts boling hot soup all over the place. It drives me mad!

Actually you need to learn how they put the rubber bands on in the first place and then reverse the procedure. You need strong nails and nerves and it ain't easy.

But if that's my biggest problem in life... !

It's one of the necessary survival skills for Thailand... getting food out of plastic wrappers. When the overnight bus stops after a run of six hours, I've bought things like dried bananas as I was starving but had to sit and look at them because you need scissors or a machete to get them out of the plastic wrapper.

And as for the khao mun ghai in plastic bags! Getting the sauce and hot soup out of their bags is impossible. I've tried slicing the top off the bag with scissors but usually the bag then collapses and squirts boling hot soup all over the place. It drives me mad!

Actually you need to learn how they put the rubber bands on in the first place and then reverse the procedure. You need strong nails and nerves and it ain't easy.

But if that's my biggest problem in life... !

I think if you eat the bananas with the plastic and bite it good enough your body will be able to take most of the energy out of the bananas and the plastic will leave you without causing any harm. It is untested. As well I think if they see you eating the bananas with the plastic someone will help you (or the bring you in a hospital for mental problems).

After 5 years Thailand I can remove them without supervision. I need several minutes, all of my brainpower to understand the situation and a lot power but it is possible.

This happens to me constantly, even last night I wore some hot soup bound for a bowl on the table :o Can we be a little more specific with the instructions anyone.... BUT, I do now have a rubber band collection.... what to do with all these tiny multicolores things???

I get just as frustrated as the next Guy, well, I used to, now I cut the band, not the plastic bag, with a sharp pointed knife. It saves me from the 'All over the floor' scenerio :o

I always have trouble with them, but never cut them. It's sort of a challenge. A couple of things I have observed:

1. Sometimes the rubber bands are greasy from the food or the hand that put them on; then they are even more difficult to get off.

2. If you have somewhat big hands and not well tended fingernails (like a lot of farangs), then it's even tougher.

I sometimes have to get a grip on it with something like a pen or pencil tip. Once I've got a hold of it at the place where it's turned or knotted then I can get it off.

"rubber bands"

let's ask Jingthing to write an essay "Rubber Band Racism in Thailand" :D

:o Good one!

To the OP: try putting the rubbers bands on a plastic bag first, and then do the reverse. Simple, eh? :D

It's about time someone started a thread about this. It is one of the quirky things about living in Thailand. You ever see how fast they spin them on! I lived in Thailand for nearly 7 years and still couldn't get the rubber bands off. I kept two pairs of scissors on hand in the kitchen. Got pretty good at cutting the corners to pour soup out. However my four year old daughter had no trouble getting the bag open.

LL

I have another problem. My sister in law doesn't know how to tie the bag properly. Water and oil from foods inside come out and wet the outside bag. She puts the band on, twist it once, put it on the other side, twist it once, until the band gets short and cannot be twisted. :o

I voted null because I have never learned to do this easily.

I have found that a pair of nail clippers makes a useful kitchen gadget for this job. Easier than a knife or scissors to snip a strand or two of the rubber band with some (but not complete) degree of control.

I tried on a number of occasions to take them off with no success so then, having absolutely no patience for simple problems like this, either let the missus do it or resorted to a knife. It is one of those tasks that come under the "Useless skills" file heading.

Yea, good thread and I've wanted to post it myself but was afraid I'd get laughed at. I use the knife method, while the wife nimbly whips it off [the rubber].

but, there is a more user friendly way to tie the bags and it makes opening them much easier.....simply twist the bag top 2 or 3 times, then double it over and place the rubberband over the doubled plastic bag and give it a few wraps and when you want to open it simply pull the open end of the bag and the rubber band flies off quick and easy.