Basing Myself In Bangkok To Work Across Asia

I have been living and working in Singapore for the last 5 years, travelling to Thailand at least one weekend a month throughout that period. I have finally bitten the bullet and quit my permanent job and plan to move into the hopefully more flexible world of consulting in either Singapore, Hong Kong and if necessary, Tokyo.

I am really keen to base myself in Bangkok, travelling to my clients sites as and when necessary and working from home (Bangkok) when i can. I expect i will be travelling at least every 2 weeks, being away between 3 and 10 days at a time.

Does anyone else on the forum work like this ? Can i get away without obtaining a visa in Thailand and entering the country on a tourist visa each time.

It is unlikely i would need to spend more than 30 days at a time in Thailand and due to the nature of my work i am highly unlikely to work in Thailand itself.

Any advice would be most welcome !!

If you mean coming in with the 30 day visa exemption, i.e. the card you fill out on the plane, (not really a visa) the answer is maybe, but you really have to monitor you days spent in thailand, plus you MUST have an outward bound flight ticket, which from the sound of your work, you won't have.

You don't say what nationality you are, if UK, then your best option is to get a non immigrant type O multi entry visa, which is a 12 month visa, stretchable to 15 months if you re-enter just before it expires.

Every time you leave, and then re-enter Thailand you'll get another 90 days stamp.

I've had 2 of these these, and so far have had no problem obtaining it (fingers crossed for the next), with no supporting evidence required, just tick the box saying I'm visiting family/friends, sign a sheet saying I have sufficient funds and pay the money.

I have only obtained this in the UK, and believe its difficult to get outside your own country.

If your from the US, I believe its not so straight forward, and other countries I'm not sure.

I've attached 2 PDFs from the thai consulate site which have info for all nationalities.

Hope this helps

Jon

Aa__Visa_Regulations.pdf

Ab__Visa_Application_Pack.pdf

I have been living and working in Singapore for the last 5 years, travelling to Thailand at least one weekend a month throughout that period. I have finally bitten the bullet and quit my permanent job and plan to move into the hopefully more flexible world of consulting in either Singapore, Hong Kong and if necessary, Tokyo.

I am really keen to base myself in Bangkok, travelling to my clients sites as and when necessary and working from home (Bangkok) when i can. I expect i will be travelling at least every 2 weeks, being away between 3 and 10 days at a time.

Does anyone else on the forum work like this ? Can i get away without obtaining a visa in Thailand and entering the country on a tourist visa each time.

It is unlikely i would need to spend more than 30 days at a time in Thailand and due to the nature of my work i am highly unlikely to work in Thailand itself.

The rule for Visa Exempt Entries which you are talking about is a total of 90 days stay in a 6 month period.

As for working at home in Bangkok without a work permit? No Comment.

The right way:

Set up a legit company and get all your work permit/visa paperwork in order, pay income tax, be a good citizen, pay your dues..

The wrong way:

Ignore the above and be at the whim of Thai Immigration, Police, jealous neighbours etc etc etc....free :o

Up to you :D

RAZZ

The right way:

Set up a legit company and get all your work permit/visa paperwork in order, pay income tax, be a good citizen, pay your dues..

The wrong way:

Ignore the above and be at the whim of Thai Immigration, Police, jealous neighbours etc etc etc....free :o

RAZZ

Telecommuting is not illegal if none of your income is from Thai sources. You do not need to set up a Thai company and do not require a work permit. Thailand has no reason to deport you as you owe no taxes here and are not taking jobs away from Thai's. From my research, emailing various lawyers and Sunbelt Asia you cannot set up a company even if you wanted to if your sole source of income is from overseas but I'd like to be shown otherwise.

If you have a legitimate visa you can legally stay in Thailand. However it's always a good idea to keep lucrative revenue streams private. The various chatter that telecommuters are somehow wild bandits who immigration is going to round up any day now is substantiated by facts and I challenge anyone to show me evidence to the contrary.

Head to HULL for a Non-Immigrant 'o' multiple is probably the easiest and cheapest way. I have been based out of BKK for years but work in HKG and SIN. For peace of mind just use HULL.

You can fly to the UK (MAN) hire a car drive pick it up in less than 20 mins fly back in the evening to SIN or BKK....job done :o

Edited by dekka007

The right way:

The wrong way:

RAZZ

Telecommuting is not illegal if none of your income is from Thai sources. You do not need to set up a Thai company and do not require a work permit. Thailand has no reason to deport you as you owe no taxes here and are not taking jobs away from Thai's. From my research, emailing various lawyers and Sunbelt Asia you cannot set up a company even if you wanted to if your sole source of income is from overseas but I'd like to be shown otherwise.

If you have a legitimate visa you can legally stay in Thailand. However it's always a good idea to keep lucrative revenue streams private. The various chatter that telecommuters are somehow wild bandits who immigration is going to round up any day now is substantiated by facts and I challenge anyone to show me evidence to the contrary.

I was under the impression the WP law said....a Work permit is required for paid or unpaid work, therefore even though no money is coming from a Thai source....you are still technically working and think it could be classed as "unpaid" work in Thailand...

If your telecommuting is legit...why make a statement...."good idea to keep lucrative revenue streams private" ?....if legit you would have nothing to worry about from the Thai labour and tax departments, because telecommuting is legal...income source is not from Thailand...therefore no tax liability... :D

I was under the impression the WP law said....a Work permit is required for paid or unpaid work, therefore even though no money is coming from a Thai source....you are still technically working and think it could be classed as "unpaid" work in Thailand...

That is correct.

Since you seem to be looking for a long term solution, Razzell gives the best advice.

The right way:

The wrong way:

RAZZ

If your telecommuting is legit...why make a statement...."good idea to keep lucrative revenue streams private" ?....if legit you would have nothing to worry about from the Thai labour and tax departments, because telecommuting is legal...income source is not from Thailand...therefore no tax liability... :D

Everyone I checked with said if telecommuting with non Thai based clients, no work permit needed. Volunteer work in Thailand even though unpaid requires a work permit.

I have a telecommuting option available to me which I currently am not pursuing. however I did research the option of setting up a company, paying taxes etc. This is what I wanted to do. However everyone from Siam Legal to Sunbelt Asia told me it's not necessary and I believe not even possible. I also emailed immigration but they never replied. If I do pursue this option, I will not be announcing it because there are many people here who work very hard for peanuts and even more who are desperate to stay and don't like to see another person succeed. Even when doing something legal if people are jealous you are running a risk. Keeping your mouth shut when you have something good going is a Taoist principle not a legal one in this case. which I believe to be 100% legal I will be keeping it quiet if anyone else wants to try it and broadcast it to their neighbors be my guest.

I don't want to advise anyone to do anything illegal but like I said I challenge anyone to show me the law or documentation from Thai immigration that says telecommuting for a non Thai based company while legally in Thailand requires a work permit.

Edited by wasabi

The right way:

The wrong way:

RAZZ

Everyone I checked with said if telecommuting with non Thai based clients, no work permit needed. Volunteer work in Thailand even though unpaid requires a work permit.

I have a telecommuting option available to me which I currently am not pursuing. however I did research the option of setting up a company, paying taxes etc. This is what I wanted to do. However everyone from Siam Legal to Sunbelt Asia told me it's not necessary and I believe not even possible. I also emailed immigration but they never replied. If I do pursue this option, I will not be announcing it because there are many people here who work very hard for peanuts and even more who are desperate to stay and don't like to see another person succeed. Even when doing something legal if people are jealous you are running a risk. Keeping your mouth shut when you have something good going is a Taoist principle not a legal one in this case. which I believe to be 100% legal I will be keeping it quiet if anyone else wants to try it and broadcast it to their neighbors be my guest.

I don't want to advise anyone to do anything illegal but like I said I challenge anyone to show me the law or documentation from Thai immigration that says telecommuting for a non Thai based company while legally in Thailand requires a work permit.

I am pretty sure you will not find anything in black and white in Thai law which talks about telecommuting specifically, but you have to look at the intent and interpretation of the law which says a work permit is required for work whether paid or unpaid, I would define what you are doing as working....to quote one of websters definitions:

"the labour, task, or duty that is one's accustomed means of livelihood"..by telecommuting you are making a livelihood irrespective if its Thai source or not...therefore you are working....you need a work permit...simple

Also you state you would find what is premissible or isn't in documentation from Thai immigration...no you wouldn't...any documentation of the what is defined as work in Thailand would be with the department of labour, not immigration, as the labour dept issues the WP not immigration

"I will not be announcing it because there are many people here who work very hard for peanuts and even more who are desperate to stay and don't like to see another person succeed"

...Again I would suggest to you that if what you are doing in legal and above board....why would you worry about announcing anything...as even the "many people who work here for peanuts" couldn;t get you in any trouble, because you are legal...

Personally, I think you are trying to intepret the intent rules to suit yourself and justifiy to yourself what you intend to do is legit..

I would suggest....if a volunteer needs a WP, because under Thai law definitions this is classed as work....then telecommuting from Thailand is classed as working as you are earning an income...

I think you are correct 'Tomkagai'

Suggest reference to this paper: www.tillekeandgibbins.com/publications/Articles/immigration_employment/thai_immigration_practices_june07.pdf

This law firm appear to know their stuff. From memory there is even a link to them in the Immigration Dept web site so that says something (connected or respected or both)

The potential reach of the work permit requirements is very broad. The chances of being caught probably slim (but not non-existent). Telecommuting is just one of several grey areas, also for e.g. people running internet businesses and so on.

Would be very interested to hear of any accounts of people getting official advice on this or being pulled in for a chat etc.

Not thinking of going over to the dark side, just doing research for a book :o

I suppose this ought to be made into a pinned topic, as it seems to be repeating frequently in the past few years.

My impression is that when you actually pay lawyers to give a legal opinion they will NOT say that telecommuting is allowed without a work permit. They didn't when I paid them, and I've never heard of anyone else experiencing differently here. There is no law on the books nor other precedence to protect you, so the practicing lawyer will not put themself at risk by suggesting it. If you ask for a bullet-proof legal solution, you will hear what was recommended here: start a company and operate it properly.

There seem to be a lot of bar-stool advisers who will tell you it is OK, wink wink, nudge nudge. Several members here have had long drawn out episodes where they attempted to get some ruling or "official letter" from the department of labor to bless their telecommuting plans, but as far as we know, not one has succeeded there either. Even the Thai officials will only give bar stool advice to skip the work permit and tax, because they don't want to be bothered with this complicated corner case that requires thinking outside the standard forms and procedures. But none will put that advice into formal writing and stake their jobs on it... so the advice to stay under the radar surely applies if you choose this illegal approach. Nobody can give you a guarantee of your chances of staying out of trouble with this approach, so your guess is as good as any of ours...

It IS legitimate and possible to create a Thai company and get a work permit with only overseas revenue sources. I know because I have done it. However, all of the other issues and irritations with legal shareholder structures, Thai employees, accounting, restricted areas of business, and so on are still applicable regardless of where your revenue comes from. If you are physically present in Thailand and doing work, you still are subject to the same rules no matter where your clients are situated.

Why does everyone say that telecommuting from Thailand is a grey area? It is not. Telecommuting from Thailand and not paying taxes to the Thai tax authorities on the income is illegal. The law is very clear and simple to understand. Thai source income does not mean money coming from a Thai company or person. It means that if the activities for which you are paid for are physically performed in Thailand (does not matter if you are transmitting data over the internet/phone *telecommuting*); it is deemed Thai source income.

This same "source of income" principle is generally shared by most OECD and WTO member countries.

Lots of interesting debate on how to do this, thanks to all !

So my interpretation against my requirements are as follows :-

I dont plan to spend more than 30 days at a time in Thailand as i will have to regularly travel to clients sites around Asia, spending at least 3 - 5 days a time every couple of weeks. I can keep to the limitation of 90 days within 6 months, although i am definately going to need to manage this carefully, the Tourist Visa seems to be appropriate. I suspect going over the limit brings in the cavalry, but until i renewed my passport recently i had 75+ stamps for my previous weekend trips and holidays and immigration dont seem concerned about this as i have never overstayed.

As for working from home in Bangkok... this will really amount to writing up reports, answering email etc and probably making the odd phone call to clients. I dont really see this as doing anything different to your average business person in their hotel, the airport lounge at Suvanabhumi etc or even someone who comes to Thailand for a weekend trip and ends up having to do some work while they are there.

Fingers crossed !

Lots of interesting debate on how to do this, thanks to all !

So my interpretation against my requirements are as follows :-

I dont plan to spend more than 30 days at a time in Thailand as i will have to regularly travel to clients sites around Asia, spending at least 3 - 5 days a time every couple of weeks. I can keep to the limitation of 90 days within 6 months, although i am definately going to need to manage this carefully, the Tourist Visa seems to be appropriate. I suspect going over the limit brings in the cavalry, but until i renewed my passport recently i had 75+ stamps for my previous weekend trips and holidays and immigration dont seem concerned about this as i have never overstayed.

As for working from home in Bangkok... this will really amount to writing up reports, answering email etc and probably making the odd phone call to clients. I dont really see this as doing anything different to your average business person in their hotel, the airport lounge at Suvanabhumi etc or even someone who comes to Thailand for a weekend trip and ends up having to do some work while they are there.

Fingers crossed !

I it was me I would go for the 1 year multi entry Non-Immigrant "O" rather than try and calculates days in and out the country - its easy peasy and save you hassle.

Fingers crossed !

Would accept what your saying as related to businessmen at airports etc, but the difference is you intend to base yourself in Bangkok, and have said it yourself... you would be working from home...therefore would suggest under the broad terms as defined in the Thai law you would need a work permit, if you didnt have a WP, what is the possiblility of getting caught ?...most likely a very small chance to nil chance of getting caught...but up to you...

Regards the work you intend to do at home.... "this will really amount to writing up reports, answering email etc and probably making the odd phone call"....Well thats all I do in my job and I need to have Work Permit to do the abovementioned

"I will not be announcing it because there are many people here who work very hard for peanuts and even more who are desperate to stay and don't like to see another person succeed"

...Again I would suggest to you that if what you are doing in legal and above board....why would you worry about announcing anything...as even the "many people who work here for peanuts" couldn;t get you in any trouble, because you are legal...

Personally, I think you are trying to intepret the intent rules to suit yourself and justifiy to yourself what you intend to do is legit..

I would suggest....if a volunteer needs a WP, because under Thai law definitions this is classed as work....then telecommuting from Thailand is classed as working as you are earning an income...

an alternative perspective on this. i worked at a university in the US for a while and found the internal politics to be brutal. small, petty jealousies often played out into major nuisances, and occasionally career-wrecking vendettas. none of which was illegal in any way, none of which was directed at me, all of which led me to flee in disgust.

none of which has any bearing on the legality of telecommuting without a work permit, of course. i'm just saying that if i had a job wherein i *had* a work permit, and was doing *extremely* well compared to my neighbors, i'd downplay it.

it's sorta the employment version of not wearing a lot of bling in public isn't it? i mean, if you get robbed and they take your fat gold chain or diamond tiara, or whatever, you did nothing wrong, morally or legally. but you're still an idiot for having the parade in the first place. you could have avoided the problem, and should have known you could have avoided the problem.

Setting up a base of operations in Bangkok? I wouldn't give them the satisfaction or the revenue. Phnom Penh Cambodia, easier foriegn invetsment laws (no need for any local partnership, minimum $1K capital investment and easier visa renewal prcoesses, cheaper cost of living and good expat support network). :o

"it's sorta the employment version of not wearing a lot of bling in public isn't it? i mean, if you get robbed and they take your fat gold chain or diamond tiara, or whatever, you did nothing wrong, morally or legally. but you're still an idiot for having the parade in the first place. you could have avoided the problem, and should have known you could have avoided the problem"

Huh..???? :o ....What have they been teaching you in college this semester...psychology 101 ??...

I too am based in Bkk and My income is derived all in Australia Via telecom. Im 8 mths here 4 mths there on a multi tourist visa. Lets say I get a work permitt , what would I pay tax on ? Would it be the same tax Im currently paying in OZ?

Wow, enough already.........this thread seems to have drawn out a lot of people who are showing just a little more than the weeniest streak of resentment that 'telecommuters' are getting away with something - easily i might add - getting away with something that they cannot - good on you mate is what i say - they are trying to make you feel uneasy - dont listen!

Get a multiple O visa, and by the way Melbourne is a much nicer and easier place to go get the O visa - multiple - than Hull......... fly straight into Melbourne and the Thai consulate is in St Kilda road - they are very nice people there.

if you want to meet up with me - I operate in the same freelance way that you do and have been doing so for nearly three years - it is a good life - then let me know.

I too am based in Bkk and My income is derived all in Australia Via telecom. Im 8 mths here 4 mths there on a multi tourist visa. Lets say I get a work permitt , what would I pay tax on ? Would it be the same tax Im currently paying in OZ?

Pay tax and social security...Yes...how much tax you pay in Thailand is dependent on your declared income, there are simple ways to be legal here and pay the minimum tax....

Based on guys I know who work offshore in Thailand and live in Aussie...there is a reciprocal tax agreement between Aussie and Thailand, so any tax you pay in Thailand would be offset against your Aussie tax, if there is a short fall between what you have been paying in Thailand and what you should be paying in Aussie, you have to pay the difference anyway to the Aussie tax man...this being said someone employed in Thailand by a company " will always meets their tax obligations in both countries" if you understand what I mean...?

ps would be careful what you are saying above never know big brother might be reading..!!!

Wow, enough already.........this thread seems to have drawn out a lot of people who are showing just a little more than the weeniest streak of resentment that 'telecommuters' are getting away with something - easily i might add - getting away with something that they cannot - good on you mate is what i say - they are trying to make you feel uneasy - dont listen!

Get a multiple O visa, and by the way Melbourne is a much nicer and easier place to go get the O visa - multiple - than Hull......... fly straight into Melbourne and the Thai consulate is in St Kilda road - they are very nice people there.

if you want to meet up with me - I operate in the same freelance way that you do and have been doing so for nearly three years - it is a good life - then let me know.

Dont believe that;s the case, the debate has been centered around a statement made by a telecommuter that people doing work in Thailand in the telecommuting game dont need a work permit.. I might add the arguments put forward to justify this statement are very weak.

I personally couldnt care less what people do, if they can get away with it good luck to them, but they shouldnt be making statements trying to justify that what they doing is legit....

I work in Thailand legally, pay my taxes (structured in my favour) and thats what I choose to do, if some one chooses not to do it...to quote a favourite LOS saying....Up to you..

Regardless if you have a work permit or not, tax on such income has to be remitted to the Thai tax authorities. One does not need a work permit to pay taxes in Thailand. The fact that you are physically present in Thailand while performing an activity that generates income, means that this income is deemed of Thai source and tax has to be paid on such income.

We are not talking here about the occasional hotel stay where your are shaking hands and replying to e-mails. This is not subject to taxation as per the Thai tax code (not carrying on business (office, place of business, etc.)

I beg to differ with some but if I work outside of Thailand and live here I do not need a WP or any of the associated stuff. It is simple.

As for taxes, it is common knowledge that savings remitted to Thailand are exempt but income is not. Thus, if you remit savings earned over 12 months ago you owe no tax. That they can never tell and are not remotely interested in just incidental.

Stop scaring the guy. How do you think all these oil workers stay here ?

I suppose this ought to be made into a pinned topic, as it seems to be repeating frequently in the past few years.

My impression is that when you actually pay lawyers to give a legal opinion they will NOT say that telecommuting is allowed without a work permit. They didn't when I paid them, and I've never heard of anyone else experiencing differently here. There is no law on the books nor other precedence to protect you, so the practicing lawyer will not put themself at risk by suggesting it. If you ask for a bullet-proof legal solution, you will hear what was recommended here: start a company and operate it properly.

There seem to be a lot of bar-stool advisers who will tell you it is OK, wink wink, nudge nudge. Several members here have had long drawn out episodes where they attempted to get some ruling or "official letter" from the department of labor to bless their telecommuting plans, but as far as we know, not one has succeeded there either. Even the Thai officials will only give bar stool advice to skip the work permit and tax, because they don't want to be bothered with this complicated corner case that requires thinking outside the standard forms and procedures. But none will put that advice into formal writing and stake their jobs on it... so the advice to stay under the radar surely applies if you choose this illegal approach. Nobody can give you a guarantee of your chances of staying out of trouble with this approach, so your guess is as good as any of ours...

It IS legitimate and possible to create a Thai company and get a work permit with only overseas revenue sources. I know because I have done it. However, all of the other issues and irritations with legal shareholder structures, Thai employees, accounting, restricted areas of business, and so on are still applicable regardless of where your revenue comes from. If you are physically present in Thailand and doing work, you still are subject to the same rules no matter where your clients are situated.

Totally agree....I think we're all still waiting for girlx's "offical letter" :o

RAZZ

I beg to differ with some but if I work outside of Thailand and live here I do not need a WP or any of the associated stuff. It is simple.

As for taxes, it is common knowledge that savings remitted to Thailand are exempt but income is not. Thus, if you remit savings earned over 12 months ago you owe no tax. That they can never tell and are not remotely interested in just incidental.

Stop scaring the guy. How do you think all these oil workers stay here ?

I agree with you, if you work outside Thailand, and are just living here you will not require a WP, but the debate revolves around people who are by their own admission are working from Thailand and income is derived from extenal sources, but dont have a WP, under the broad definitions laid down by the Thai authorities, my interpretation is that they are working in Thailand and therefore need a WP.

As regards tax, people working outside and living in Thailand are most likely paying tax somewhere, ie the Oil workers mentioned will be paying tax were they are working and if it was ever needed for some reason by the Thai authorities to prove this, they could prove it very easily....

Suppose somebody lived here and worked somewhere else and had their salaries deposited in a Thai bank, technically (not that they do) the Thai authorities could ask for declaration of where the money comes from and prove that the money has been taxed at source, maybe doesnt go on in Thailand, but certainly goes on in other countries.

I will hazard a guess and suggest the "telecommuters" are not paying tax anywhere? ....

If you are legal in Singapore or somewhere where there is no income tax then set up a "residence" in that country.

Declare all work as done outside of Thailand.

All income flows through Singapore

No Thai income so no Thai taxes

Work is done when outside of Thailand and so no WP*

* Dodgy but if DESCRETE ( that is keep off this and other boards) you shouls get away with it.

Jan

Nothing stopping you from living in bkk if you can get a viable visa ie: a 1 year multi entry non imm, apec card, 3 year multi entry non imm etc.....

BUT TO BE LEGAL

if you perform any work in thailand you must have a non imm visa, work permit, tax id etc.... so you'd need a company structure in thailand to support you.

you can fly under the radar, but the risk is yours and getting caught would not be much fun.

and obviously, performing work in other countries, you would be subject to their respective immigration/work/tax laws as well as any tax obligations from your country of citizenship and/or residence.

Edited by kiakaha