Major Bus Strike In Bangkok And Adjacent Provinces

george

Hitting commuters where it hurts

BANGKOK: -- Furious they can't raise fares, private operators will park over 8,000 buses in front of the Transport Ministry in protest against 'losses over soaring diesel prices'

Nearly 10,000 buses will go on a major strike in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces today.

They are angry the Central Administrative Court ordered an injunction against bus-fare hikes.

"We can't bear it any longer," Private Bus Operators' Asso-ciation president Chatchai Chaiwiset says. "We can't absorb the losses from soaring diesel prices any more".

Diesel now costs more than Bt38 a litre.

According to Chatchai, private bus operators will park most of their buses - more than 8,000 - in front of the Transport Ministry. They want top government officials to know petrol woes are unbearable.

Frustrated with business losses, private operators do not fear government cancellation of their licences if they strike and fail to provide normal bus services. "Let the government do what it wants," Chatchai says "We will only dispatch natural-gas vehicles.

Private operators run about 1,700 gas buses in Bangkok and nearby.

The strike is direct retaliation against the people's network that brought the injunction action. It argues fare increase are not justified because most buses are now natural-gas powered.

Chatchai will ask the Transport Ministry to help operators by stopping collection of daily concession fees.

"We will reduce the frequency of our bus services in a bid to survive. Passengers will have to wait longer," Chatchai says.

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri says the government will punish concessionaires who fail to honour contracts. "If the number of buses falls under the minimum stated in the contract, they will face legal action," he says.

'Monitor bus services'

Land Transport Department acting director-general Chairat Sanguanseu is instructing the authority to monitor bus services on all routes.

"If there are fewer buses, the authority must send its own buses," he says.

-- The Nation 2008-05-28

I have to say I have some sympathy with the bus operators.

A friends family run a bus themselves and the hikes in the price of diesel mean they are barely making any money at all and yet are not allowed to raise their prices to cover running costs.

""We will reduce the frequency of our bus services in a bid to survive. Passengers will have to wait longer," Chatchai says."

That is not with us just for the duration of this 'strike'.

That one is with us for evermore.

People will soon start asking themselves: "Is my journey really necessary?", seeing often that it isn't, and so reducing their frenetic travel.

Long-haul aircraft passenger numbers can be expected to fall off even faster than bus passenger numbers.

Similarly, domestic air flight numbers.

It already makes a lot more sense for me to use Chan Tours buses from home to Bangkok than to fly. Sure, it takes a bit longer, but it is more comfortable than Economy, less hassle (so I get much more reading done) and only 25% ofthe cost.

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri says the government will punish concessionaires who fail to honour contracts. "If the number of buses falls under the minimum stated in the contract, they will face legal action," he says.

-- The Nation 2008-05-28

Oooooooh, bet they're shaking in their boots, now!!! :o

Instead: If the majority of these bus drivers LEARN how to drive and do not race like idiots attempting to kill anybody else on the road, they might actually save a lot on fuel. Furthermore, looks like a lot of the buses/engines are not maintained as they should and therefore using much more fuel also... Just a thought.

Edited by wimster

I don't exactly understand how the gov't can 'order' them to lose money. And when they are completely broke, will the 'order' the petrol stations to fill the buses with gas anyway?

I don't exactly understand how the gov't can 'order' them to lose money. And when they are completely broke, will the 'order' the petrol stations to fill the buses with gas anyway?

The same as many commodities; this government orders you to charge this price, and as the private operator if you dare to disagree with them, then they will find some way to stop you doing business at all. They can then either keep running and at least cover their costs, or go broke.

Also known as market intervention or 'f&^king up the free market mechanisms'

Mingkwan is an expert at it ;-)

Hello.

It would all make so much more sense if more people would actually TAKE the bus. Every morning when i bring my boyfriend to work (by motorbike) the whole distance, Sukhumvit 70 near BITEC to Ekkamai, is one huge parking lot. And roughly 90% of the cars have a single person in them.

To me it appears that the higher the gas prices go, the more cars are out there! It must be the Thai thinking "the bus is too expensive now, i'll take the car" or something like that. Do they realize that, in order to save 10-15 Baht bus fare, they spend the exact same time in traffic jam, yet burn fuel worth 100-150 Baht in the process?

But then, taking a bus isn't "hi-so" enough.

Best regards.....

Thanh

The same as many commodities; this government orders you to charge this price, and as the private operator if you dare to disagree with them, then they will find some way to stop you doing business at all. They can then either keep running and at least cover their costs, or go broke.

Also known as market intervention or 'f&^king up the free market mechanisms'

Mingkwan is an expert at it ;-)

And Mingkwan is widely seen as about the best in the government, which of course doesnt actually say much for the rest. Admittedly the government here like those around the world has a very difficult job in trying to develop polices in relation to fuel/energy but they could at least try as others are.

Here is another example of a claimed intervention in the energy sector which could have consequences:

http://www.readbangkokpost.com/business/oi..._price_inte.php

It must be the Thai thinking "the bus is too expensive now, i'll take the car" or something like that. Do they realize that, in order to save 10-15 Baht bus fare, they spend the exact same time in traffic jam, yet burn fuel worth 100-150 Baht in the process?

you can't charge the bus fare to a credit card , but you can for a tank of fuel.

BANGKOK: -- Furious they can't raise fares, private operators will park over 8,000 buses in front of the Transport Ministry in protest against 'losses over soaring diesel prices'

Nearly 10,000 buses will go on a major strike in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces today.

While I do sympathize with the bus operators I have a problem with this shut down being referred to as a strike. I would be interested to know if the operators are going to continue to pay their employees while this shut down is underway. I don't know for sure of course, but my gut feeling tells me they won't. A strike is a labor action undertaken by workers in an effort to improve their wages and or working conditions. Strikes rarely occur in Thailand due to the fear of reprisal from the employers or government intermediaries influenced by the employers. Obviously, if the operators go out of business it would adversely effect the workers and I support their efforts but lets not confuse this shut down by management in order to protect themselves and their profits with a true strike which is organized by the employees themselves for the benefit of the average worker and his or her family.