My First Time Visiting Thailand

Hi everyone!

My name is Alex, I am from England, UK and next month I will be traveling to Thailand for the first time, yay! I simply cannot wait, I have heard amazing things about Thailand and cant wait to get out there!

I am traveling with my girlfriend (Natasha) we will be staying in Bangkok for a week, then traveling onward to Phuket for a week. I havent booked any flights for the internal travel yet, but I would like to travel by plane, my question is this; Would it be cheaper to book the tickets when I arrive in Bangkok, or should I book them here in the UK? Should I book the tickets at the airport upon arrival at Bangkok? or get them here.

Secondly, about currency - currently 1 Pound Sterling = 64.1 Thai Bhat's, but the best rate I can find at the beauros here is 58.1, will I get a better exchange rate in Bangkok?

Finally, I will be traveling around Thailand with my girlfriend and she is slightly worried about the 'exotic ladies' approacing us, I would just like to know how common this?

Thanks.

Hope you have an enjoyable time here.

You should have no problem in booking a flight to Phuket after you arrive and you may get a better deal locally--unless you have some package from the UK that lets you go to BKK and then onward to Phuket.

Exchanging money here is quite easy and probably as good a deal as you will get. I don't know that it would be wise to change money from Pounds to Euros and then to Baht.

Don't worry about the Exotic Ladies approaching you. If your with the girlfriend, they will most likely keep their distance and as long as you aren't in the red light districts, most Thai ladies are rather shy and modest.

I am sure a few others will post with more details, but basically you won't get screwed by booking a flight from here and changing money at any of the thousands of local money exchanges run by the banks is a pretty safe bet.

Thanks for the info Scott. I have a couple more :o

The best price I could find here is ~6600 THB (about £100) I guess my question is this, is it substantially cheaper if I book the flight in Bangkok through a local travel agent, or will I only save a few pounds?

I guess I have the same question about currency also, will the rate be substantially better, or will I only be saving a couple of pounds. I realise there are quite a few people in Bangkok here; I would be most appreciative if any local person knows the current rate being offered in Bangkok for Pound Sterling.

Also, I would like to try out the local cuisine, anything and everything there is :D can anyone reccomend a place that "I must simply eat at"? I will be staying in central Bangkok, at The Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok, on Silom (road?), so anywhere around there.

Thanks

You should be able to get the flight for less than 100 GBP in Thailand.

Do a google for Air Asia and Nok Air and feed in your dates and see what price it comes up with.

Do not change your money in the UK - wait till Thailand - plenty of Bank Exchange booths at the airport both after customs but before you get a taxi or even as you collect your bags airside - the rate difference if any between them will be minimal but mostly the same.

You will always get a worse rate in the UK - my first trip I got 34 in the UK as I thought I would need some to start and 40 in Thailand.

As for eating do you want to try local street food or in a restaurant. At lunchtime around there just follow where the workers are eating - they will flock to the good places.

www.airasia.com

May save a little by booking a flight now.

Bangkok - Phuket around 3,000 Baht return each.

Walk around Phuket with your girlfriend and you will not have any problems with exotic ladies.

Go into a lady bar with her and you will be surprised how friendly they will be towards the pair of you. It is not as seedy as you think.

Go out on your own and you will be fighting them off. :o

If you still have time

open a Nationwide flex account

get their ATM card and use that in the Numerous holes in the wall

(Correct plural?)

I'm currently getting 63.35 Baht to the pound with no additional charges from NW

Enjoy . . .

David

Directly across the road from the Holiday Inn is Silom Village. Worth trying in the evening if you want to sample some local cuisine, they also have some cultural shows which can be quite interesting for a first time visitor.

Wow thanks guys, I just checked on Air Asia and Bangkok-Phuket return works out at 3,250 THB each! bargain! Thanks so much :o

hi Prakanong, yes I want to try local street food (I have been warned not to buy any food from street vendors by my parents, i'm sure they are exaggerating, its safe to eat right?), restaurants the full works, I have heard about the legendary Thai food and want to sample it first hand, I doubt by girlfriend would, she's kind of scared. bless her.

hi DavidOxon, I shall have to go into a Nationwide branch and enquire about this, thanks for the heads-up, the rate i'm getting at the Bureau's here is between 51-58, its pathetic.

hi SweatySock, I shall definitely pay Silom Village a visit.

Also, I would appreciate any advice anyone has for a first time visitor, I have visited the British Foreign and Commonwealth website, and read the advice on there (http://www.fco.gov.uk/thailand) some of it is quite scary reading it, but its not really practical advice.

Edited by afromaniacuk

Air Asia/Nok Air - strict baggage requirements, so keep this in mind. If you are carrying a lot you will pay excessive bag charges. So key is to travel light if you can when using the low cost airlines. (sort like EasyJet or Virgin Express)

As previously mentioned, opening a Nationwide Flexaccount with save you a small fortune in currency exchange fees. I've been using this building society for 3 years now, their online banking is also very good and simple to use. As all transfers abroad are free, you will find this account useful, not only on this holiday, but on future trips overseas too. I'd never change any money in UK, but by all means bring some pound sterling here for back up if it would make you feel more secure.

As you've already seen, booking internal flights online is a breeze, and also the cheapest way to obtain flights, booking early with Air Asia and Nok can save money, however, as mentioned before, the baggage allowance can be of some concern. I believe it's 15 KG with Air Asia and Nok Air and 20 Kg with 1-2-G0.

As for food, a great way to try a wide variety of cuisine is to enjoy one of the buffet dinner's available at many of Bangkok's Hotels. These vary alot in price, from 400 bt to 1700 bt. A mid-priced one that I would suggest would be the Crystal Grill buffet which is on the 82nd floor of the Baiyoke sky hotel, I think it's around 700 bt per head and as you can imagine, the view overlooking Bangkok is great. http://www.baiyoke.co.th/index.php?site=ba...=22〈=en

Also, there's no reason to fear the street food. I know, I did too on my first visit, but I now eat on the streets or buy ready prepared meals from the market about 8-10 times a week now and have never, never, been ill from it. :o

Enjoy.

I don't know that it would be wise to change money from Pounds to Euros and then to Baht.
Sterling account drawn directly to give you Thai Baht from your Nationwide ATM card at any Thai bank's ATM. Spread your access to money by Travellers Checks and credit cards as well.
I have been warned not to buy any food from street vendors by my parents, i'm sure they are exaggerating, its safe to eat right
Street food is fine, as is the water that is served with such meals.
British Foreign and Commonwealth website, and read the advice on there (http://www.fco.gov.uk/thailand) some of it is quite scary reading it,
Bad places exist in all countries - if on the normal tourist routes you will be fine.

You will see and probably encounter 'ladies of the night' and transgender 'lady boys' - treat every one you meet with a smile and good manners and you will have a good holiday.

Have a look at Nokair.com. I fly them all the time. I'm always over the baggage allowance and never had to pay for it. (you only need t-shirts/shorts. Anything else you take will be wasted space in your luggage.) They also often have sales on.

As for the "exotic ladies", you will see plenty of them, especially if you nip out alone. In fact you'll wish you hadn't taken the bird along. They won't hurt you, but watch your wallet.

For food, look at where the Thai's eat. There are loads of roadside stalls, which are fine but have limited English, and small cheap restaurants around. Plenty of Western food too.

Forget the exchange bureaus like Travelex etc. They are emergency only. Your ordinary atm card will give you a better rate.

The best advice I think I can give is just to be cautious of people you meet. Hotel staff are generally ok and you can ask their advice, but people who approach you on the street, especially respectable looking people speaking English, are not to be trusted. Nor are tuk-tuk drivers. Avoid conflicts and heated scenes no matter what. Police and customs are usually on the take, so avoid attracting their interest.

Hi everyone!

My name is Alex, I am from England, UK and next month I will be traveling to Thailand for the first time, yay! I simply cannot wait, I have heard amazing things about Thailand and cant wait to get out there!

I am traveling with my girlfriend (Natasha) we will be staying in Bangkok for a week, then traveling onward to Phuket for a week.

Welcome to Thai Visa and Thailand :D

Secondly, about currency - currently 1 Pound Sterling = 64.1 Thai Bhat's, but the best rate I can find at the beauros here is 58.1, will I get a better exchange rate in Bangkok?

K Bank Exchange Rates

Finally, I will be traveling around Thailand with my girlfriend and she is slightly worried about the 'exotic ladies' approacing us, I would just like to know how common this?

Thanks.

Use Traveller Cheques with a Credit Card as was mentioned. You can change some of your cheques at the Airport open 24 hrs, in to Thai Baht.

Please do not change any currency in hotels as there rates are ........... :D ............. say no more.

Please make sure that your Traveller Cheques numbers are with some one back home together with copies of both of yours passports. One idea is to scan your passport and post it to yourself on hotmail/yahoo/gmail or other sites that you use. Plenty of CyberCafes in Thailand, please do not forget to log out when leaving.

It is our rainy season now, but we do have some sunny days.

Whilst in Thailand and should you have time visit Kanchanaburi “The Bridge over the River Kwai (Khwae) west of Bangkok about a couple of hours by bus.

If you have time visit Thailand as I see it

Have safe trip both of you and enjoy this part of the world that we live in :o

Kan Win :D

What is the benefit in using travellers cheques over your ATM card? Seems like a hassle to me.

Many less enlightened people slate TCs as being old fashioned and a paper based technology, however they function correctly at every place that exchange money, they do not suffer from ATM skimmers and cameras. If stolen or 'lost' they can be replaced at face value within 24-48 hours within Thailand. Show me an ATM card that provides that flexibility without a large 'membership' service fee.

Getting access to your money depends on a number of tools, debit cards, credit cards and TCs - if you only have one route to access funds and that is not availible for what ever reason - how to you eat?

Thanks for the info Scott. I have a couple more :o

The best price I could find here is ~6600 THB (about £100) I guess my question is this, is it substantially cheaper if I book the flight in Bangkok through a local travel agent, or will I only save a few pounds?

I guess I have the same question about currency also, will the rate be substantially better, or will I only be saving a couple of pounds. I realise there are quite a few people in Bangkok here; I would be most appreciative if any local person knows the current rate being offered in Bangkok for Pound Sterling.

Also, I would like to try out the local cuisine, anything and everything there is :D can anyone reccomend a place that "I must simply eat at"? I will be staying in central Bangkok, at The Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok, on Silom (road?), so anywhere around there.

Thanks

If you look at Bangkok Bank web site it will give the rates in BKK now www.bangkokbank.com Then go to FX Rates

I live in London and visited Koh Smaui and surrounding islands for first time last year, and Koh Chang briefly this year. You will LOVE Thailand. Stunning country, and lovely people.

Agree with Nationwide ATM card. Best around, and no charges. ATM's generally are all over, and offer a good exchange rate. Daily limit is also never a problem. If you use another bank that charges per withdrawal, it may make sense to draw a reasonable amount each time.

FCO web site has to be a bit alarmist, but it is also sensible advice. They mention quite a bit on terrorist threats, which you should not find in BKK or Phuket. On some islands be careful about driving scooters. That can be quite dangerious, and seems to be the source of most injuries.

Enjoy the experience!

get signed up for that NatWest Flex account. Wishing I did - HSBC made a small fortune out of me with exchange fees. You will only need a Debit card for ATM use in Thailand. Taking 10,000 Baht (£160) out at a time is normal but this is two months minimum wage here so be careful and only withdraw money in day light hours! Food is great! truely something you wern't expecting. Go easy on your stomach the first week, only eat well cooked rice dishes and noodle soup, then after that try somtam and the seafood. You will get the s**ts but immodium is really cheap and a few caplets will block you up for hours till you really need to go!

FRUIT from street vendors is a MUST. only 10 Baht (16p) per portion it is the one thing I miss about waking up in the morning.

Learn the numbers and currency's value before you go. (print this bit off)

1 baht - 1.6p

5 baht - 7.5p

10 baht - 16p

20 baht - 32p

50 baht - 75p

100 baht - £1.60

500 baht - £7.50

1000 baht - £16.00

keep your witts about you mate, and never carry more than a few thousand baht in cash. keep your wallet in your front pocket. don't wear a money belt or bum bag because it just singles you out as a tourist with too much cash! I hope you have a very stable, trusting relationship with your girlfriend because this could be one heck of a test for you both :o

Hi everyone!

I am traveling with my girlfriend (Natasha) we will be staying in Bangkok for a week, then traveling onward to Phuket for a week. I havent booked any flights for the internal travel yet, but I would like to travel by plane, my question is this; Would it be cheaper to book the tickets when I arrive in Bangkok, or should I book them here in the UK? Should I book the tickets at the airport upon arrival at Bangkok? or get them here.

Thanks.

Hi,

You have had some great advice here, dont worry you and yor g/f will have a great time "PROVIDED YOU ARE SENSIBLE"!

If like many do you like a smoke of waccky backy, dont even think of taking any with you, and dont dont dont have a smoke or any othe rsubstance whilst you are there, people might offer it but you are not in the uk and you would be wise to remenber that.

Without being alarmist it is not unknwn for the police to surround a bar and demand a water sample from everyone, as it stays in your system for quite a while if you do happen to indulge back home then please remember when and if the sample change's colour the you and your lady friend will have a big problem. Better to leave it alone for a month or so before you arrive I recon.

I am sure if you went ot amsterdam, london, hamburg or some other european city you would I hope stick to the open area's an not go up alleyways or other potentially dangerous areas aftr dark especially, same applied all around the world.

Tuk Tuk drivers are a ripp of in Phuket but if you compare them to the prices in europe you wont be botthered too much, no shopping trips rcommended by the driver or other locals, ignore the touts, chill out and enjoy the time spent there, it will go far too fast take my word for it.

Where are you planning to stay/vsit in Phuket? Kata beach is somewhere I like to visit but I think maybe a bit quiet for youngsters, who knows its certainly worth a visit in my book but others might offer better/ other alternative locations.

Best advice I can give you both is to take as little clothes as you can and buy some new in Bangkok, cheap as chips if you like to barter, you wont be disapointed but dont get tooo carried away, it wil cost a fortune if your bagage is overweight on the return to the uk.

Foodwise, please try the foodstalls, if you see thai's eating there thats promising, forget the posh restaurants/ european/ usa francises/ stick to the other food establishments many of which are owned by ex pats with thai wives/ partners but dont be afraid to try the thai run establishments.

Bangkok is indicribable, if you obey common sense you will love it, barter as much as possible the expect it.

I ha dmy two daughters visit me whilst I was living in Bangkok and they love it, if you dont want to return wthin 12 months I would be suprised.

By and large the people are very friendly, but like every where torists are an easy target for rip off merchants.

DO NOT EAT IN INDIAN RESTAURANTS, you can do that at home and in thailand indian food is very expensive in comparrson to fresh thai food in my opinion.

Singha beer or Chang beer is very popular there but as I am a brandy drinker I am sure there are some beer experts who can offer you some advice on this site, i f you can try to stick to the local spirits as all imported brands of spirits are very expensive in comparison.

You may get harrassed by the touts in Pat pong maret area of Bangkok to visit the " local shows" please dont be offended or get cross, a simple no thanks and a smile and keep walking is the best response you can give.

The market is worth seeing so dont be put off, and the g/f will be fine after a day or two I am sure.

After you have been to asia europe just isnt worth considering as a holiday destination, its like going to margate or blackpool in most instances and doesnt compare value or entrtainment wise.

Enjoy your holiday, next time you might like to stay a little longer.

roy gsd

As previously mentioned, opening a Nationwide Flexaccount with save you a small fortune in currency exchange fees. I've been using this building society for 3 years now, their online banking is also very good and simple to use. As all transfers abroad are free, you will find this account useful, not only on this holiday, but on future trips overseas too. I'd never change any money in UK, but by all means bring some pound sterling here for back up if it would make you feel more secure.

As you've already seen, booking internal flights online is a breeze, and also the cheapest way to obtain flights, booking early with Air Asia and Nok can save money, however, as mentioned before, the baggage allowance can be of some concern. I believe it's 15 KG with Air Asia and Nok Air and 20 Kg with 1-2-G0.

As for food, a great way to try a wide variety of cuisine is to enjoy one of the buffet dinner's available at many of Bangkok's Hotels. These vary alot in price, from 400 bt to 1700 bt. A mid-priced one that I would suggest would be the Crystal Grill buffet which is on the 82nd floor of the Baiyoke sky hotel, I think it's around 700 bt per head and as you can imagine, the view overlooking Bangkok is great. http://www.baiyoke.co.th/index.php?site=ba...=22〈=en

Also, there's no reason to fear the street food. I know, I did too on my first visit, but I now eat on the streets or buy ready prepared meals from the market about 8-10 times a week now and have never, never, been ill from it. :o

Enjoy.

With Nationwide, Money transfers over seas cost £20. ATM withdrawels overseas are free at most ATM ...Some ATMs do charge a fee, But this is not by Nationwide.

Yes NEVER change your money in the UK, Always do it when you arrive at the airport or when you go into Bangkok. You will get A LOT more baht for your £

Yes don't believe everything the travel brochures and other people tell you haha, The street stalls are perfectly safe, After all it's where the thai eat so if they eat it then so can you, It is so dam_n cheap too so it's handy if you are on a budget. :D I made the mistake of reading up and everything about Thailand before my first visit, And when i actually arrived there i found most of the info was not really accurate haha.

With Nationwide, Money transfers over seas cost £20. ATM withdrawals overseas are free at most ATM ...Some ATMs do charge a fee, But this is not by Nationwide.

Just out of interest, which Bank's ATM's charged you a fee for a withdrawal?? As I have never ever come across this when using my Nationwide card.

P.S. in my previous posting I meant 'transactions' not 'transfers' :o

Edited by thecatman

With Nationwide, Money transfers over seas cost £20. ATM withdrawals overseas are free at most ATM ...Some ATMs do charge a fee, But this is not by Nationwide.

Just out of interest, which Bank's ATM's charged you a fee for a withdrawal?? As I have never ever come across this when using my Nationwide card.

P.S. in my previous posting I meant 'transactions' not 'transfers' :o

I can't remember which ones, I know if i see them, They are similar to the "link" stand alone ATM like in the UK, Which also charge you a small fee for ATM withdrawels.I tend to only use Siam bank / Bangkok bank and Thai military bank now as they don't charge me any fee when i use my flex account card.

Edited by Farside

You know ..... I have to be honest ..... I've always just used cash and changed at any bank change booth. Sure, you need to be a little more vigilant with your money, but most hotels have secure boxes you can leave your belongings in. Thailand is no different to the country you live in. Take too much cash out with you and you're inviting trouble.

As for eating, my Thai gf has dined me at some of the best street stalls in Thailand from Bkk to Phisanoluk, Chiang Mai to Korat .... dont even hesitate, if its freshly cooked theres no problem. In fact a few of my friends have become sick at some of the best hotel restaurants because cooked food is left unattended for periods of time. If you want a quick, tasty, cheap meal in Bkk you really cant go past the food hall in MBK on level 6 (not the overpriced rubbish on level 5). Even your gf will be tempted to try some of the more unusual dishes. Of course, there's always Lumpini night market for a good feed and a variety of local and overseas beers, with entertainment thrown in.

It's good to have some knowledge of a new destination because it saves wasting time, but don't be afraid to just get out there and discover for your self. Take the river taxi and get off at any stop along the river. You'll be delighted at what you see in most areas.

As for Thai ladies .... i'm pleased to see the comment about most Thai females are shy and modest. It's a shame that a small minority of females give the rest of the female population this stigma relating to bar girls. Having said that, my brother is married to an ex bar girl and she is one of the most lovely girls you could wish to meet, and the same goes for many of her friends. As someone said before ... go to the bars with your gf and they will make you both equally welcome, probably moreso your gf. It's a girl thing .... hahaha.

Enjoy yourself

You know ..... I have to be honest ..... I've always just used cash and changed at any bank change booth. Sure, you need to be a little more vigilant with your money, but most hotels have secure boxes you can leave your belongings in. Thailand is no different to the country you live in. Take too much cash out with you and you're inviting trouble.

Only problem with leaving your valubles in the hotel safebox is that they can also go missing if there is a dodgy person looking after the keys, There is a notice in all the hotels that money and valubles left in the safe is left at your own risk. It doesn't leave me with much optimism haha. :o

Hi Alex You are from England a word of warning take extra on the roads, in the UK when you step onto a pedestrian crossing traffic will in most cases STOP Not so in Thailand You have to be extra careful

The method most people seem to use, is wait for a large gap- and go for it

If you are taller than the average Thia 5ft 6". Watch out for the electricity wires feeding the many pavement stalls Dont hang yourself.

At the same time dont forget to look down, lots of holes in them pavements and motorcycles on them Use your head and keep it moving. And Enjoy I am sure you will.

I went to Puket last month with my wife and step daughter, got the Train down to Don-Muang from Lamphun in order to get a flight to Puket, got of the Train at 7AM Airport just across the dual carrageway but no worry a bridge to cross over the road No Lift so had to lug cases up the steps, got over the first road only to find that the second part of the bridge was behind a locked door. So down to the central reservation looked for another way no chance, Wife flaged down a taxi to get us over the road well he did take us to the terminal and at 50 Baht a BARGAIN First timeI have had to get a Taxi to cross the road.

Just for your info did not book the flight just turned up got One 2 Go one way for 3 total cost 5250 Baht paid Credit Card worked out 86.97 pounds more to come back have to pay leaving Tax 200 Baht each so cost 5850 again C/C 96.92 pounds.

I think you are over planning the trip......relax you will have a great time.

Don't worry so much about getting the last Baht out of your money exchanges. Bring some cash for emergencies, and a couple of debit cards with 4 digits PINs. You can pull money out as you need it. There are likely ATM fees, so try not to use the debit card more than a once or twice a week. Travelers checks are not as welcome so leave them at home. If your bank has charges for international debit withdrawls, open up an account in a different bank for traveling. I notice now when I use my debit/Visa card for debit withdrawals, I now see a separate "fee" from visa. Oh well. The exchange rate is better than I can get changing dollars into baht in Thailand.

Besides, I'm on vacation! Worry more about having a good time than counting pennies.

If you will be charging a lot, get a Visa card with a lower credit limit. Many of us have Visa cards with credit limits high enough to charge a car with. Leave those at home. Much better is to pay cash for everything. If you stay at a nice hotel, it's safe enough to charge the room on your credit card.

If it's not too late, I wouldn't stay at the Holiday in on Silom unless you are getting a great rate there. It's a nice hotel, but that five minute walk to the Surawak Skytrain station will get old fast if it's raining or hot. The Shangra La is on the river, and a little closer to the Saphan Taksin station. I usually stay at the Asia Hotel (nice three star) since it has good internet rates and is connected to the Skytrain.

Check out the tourist info booth at the Saphan Taksin Skytrain station. This is the one of the places you can catch the taxi boats that go up and down the river for less than a Euro. If the weather is hot, it's so nice on the boat. There is also a tourist boat that goes to 22 places along the river and has English speaking guides on board. You can catch the water taxi and take a second boat to visit Wat Arun, my favorite temple. There is a website somewhere that has the piers the water taxi stops at. Highly recommeded.

I don't eat much street food. Follow your parents instructions. It's not the food I worry about, but the bucket of grey water they have been rinsing your dishes and glasses in all day. Why risk it? If you want good cheap food, check out the food courts in all the shopping malls. There are now high class (expensive) food courts in the high class shopping malls (Paragon) that are not really worth the money. Check out Mah Boon Kron instead.

Try to get a reservation for the Seafood Buffet on the weekends at the Oriental Hotel. Expensive but you have to visit the most famous hotel in Thailand!

The resturants and buffet at the Shangra La are nice too.

I enjoyed the boat trip from the Oriental Hotel to Ayuttaya. Unfortunately the trip back is on a bus in Bangkok traffic. Maybe things are better now with the expressways. Bring a book and MP3 player just in case. If money is not a big issue, take a taxi or train to Ayuttaya and take the boat back to Bangkok.

There is also tours to the floating market, Rose Garden, etc. Take the longer tour and the floating marktet that is further outside Bangkok.

In Phuket, get a private taxi not one of the vans. The vans wait to get full, and then stop along the way at a travel agency to sell hotel reservations to those that need them. If you know where you are going, pay a little extra and get to your hotel an hour quicker. The airport is a long way from the beaches.

Hi Alex,

I have to first be brutally honest with you. Why are you bringing your Lady here? No disrespect to your most likely wonderful Lady, but it is rather like bringing a sandwich to a banquet. Just stay away from the beer bar scene and all will be well. Never pay the price first offered by any store vendor. Do not wander around after 10 pm. Lock you valuables in the Hotel safe. Never carry wads of cash or anything valuable on you; if you do, keep in your front pocket and be constantly aware of your items. Do not purchase gold necklaces and then wear them around......they will be picked right off of your neck by two on a motorbike. Do not rent anything with wheels....take the baht taxi and pay 10 baht. Chohk Dii Khrawp.

ps if you have time, the first thing to do is learn to count in Thai....helps when haggling during shopping.