Feed The Kitties

Ulysses G.

I was there on Saturday and took a fairly large bag of cat food with me but when I saw how much they've now managed to accumulate, I couldn't help thinking that the money might've been better spent on something else. What struck me is that that cats have nothing soft to sleep on and if you're a cat person, you know how much they love to curl up on beds, in wardrobes, on cushions and anything else with a bit of pile that presents itself. Perhaps anyone else going might consider buying a few of the regular foot mats (pa-ched-tow) that are ubiquitously available or even some of the blanket cloth that you can get for cheap on a roll at Kad Luang. Not sure if there would be any health issues related to such an idea, i.e. material harbouring germs or bacteria as it got dirty but I can't imagine it's any worse than them just sleeping on the floor.

Just my thoughts on the matter as it does seem like they've enough food stockpiled for a good six months now.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was there on Saturday and took a fairly large bag of cat food with me but when I saw how much they've now managed to accumulate, I couldn't help thinking that the money might've been better spent on something else. What struck me is that that cats have nothing soft to sleep on and if you're a cat person, you know how much they love to curl up on beds, in wardrobes, on cushions and anything else with a bit of pile that presents itself. Perhaps anyone else going might consider buying a few of the regular foot mats (pa-ched-tow) that are ubiquitously available or even some of the blanket cloth that you can get for cheap on a roll at Kad Luang. Not sure if there would be any health issues related to such an idea, i.e. material harbouring germs or bacteria as it got dirty but I can't imagine it's any worse than them just sleeping on the floor.

Just my thoughts on the matter as it does seem like they've enough food stockpiled for a good six months now.

Thank you very much for your donation. Yes, they are reasonably supplied with food for the moment, but they get through 1-1½ kilos per day! I havent been at the Wat for a couple of days, but I imagine that they have enough for two months or so :D

At the moment we are concentrating on collecting enough money for vaccinations, sterilizations and further veterinary care. As I understand that solicitation is not allowed on ThaiVisa, I ask anybody interested in contributing to PM me for information on how to :o:D:D

/ Priceless

Thank you very much for your donation. Yes, they are reasonably supplied with food for the moment, but they get through 1-1½ kilos per day! I havent been at the Wat for a couple of days, but I imagine that they have enough for two months or so :D

At the moment we are concentrating on collecting enough money for vaccinations, sterilizations and further veterinary care. As I understand that solicitation is not allowed on ThaiVisa, I ask anybody interested in contributing to PM me for information on how to :o:D:D

/ Priceless

No thanks necessary, those little blighters were so cute that a half hour spent petting them was reward enough. You may not be able to solicit for donations on here but perhaps these heart-string pulling photos might encourage a little generosity from folk.

post-33038-1213081429_thumb.jpg post-33038-1213081444_thumb.jpg post-33038-1213081457_thumb.jpg

I was there on Saturday and took a fairly large bag of cat food with me but when I saw how much they've now managed to accumulate, I couldn't help thinking that the money might've been better spent on something else.

I understand why Bananaman brought this up, but in my opinion, it is better for posters not to dissuade people from bringing packaged food when they visit the cats as it lasts forever and a short time ago eek and Knun Dii were struggling to keep them fed daily.

We hope that a lot of people remain interested in helping them, but it is better to not assume that they will always be this lucky. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I was there on Saturday and took a fairly large bag of cat food with me but when I saw how much they've now managed to accumulate, I couldn't help thinking that the money might've been better spent on something else.

I understand why Bananaman brought this up, but in my opinion, it is better for posters not to dissuade people from bringing packaged food when they visit the cats as it lasts forever and a short time ago eek and Knun Dii were struggling to keep them fed daily.

We hope that a lot of people remain interested in helping them, but it is better to not assume that they will always be this lucky. :o

Yep you're right Mr G, I hadn't really considered the bigger picture before making those comments. I'd suggest visitors keep on bringing the food and perhaps if anyone has any old blankets or floor mats or is inclined to buy new ones that they might also be appreciated. Maybe you could confirm with Khun Dii that these would be appropriate.

If you want to spoil them with something special, they LOVE Pla Tu (the Thai name) which I think is a type of mackeral that is not too expensive. :o

Kun Dii also feeds some of the hungry neighborhood cats and dogs that don't live at the temple, so all the food will be used to help animals. The more the better. :D

Thanks Calico!

Lanna Dog Rescue came by yesterday and is going to give us a date next month to fix all the cats and also some of the cats and dogs in the same neighborhood that don't always sleep at the temple.

If it is possible, I would also like to have Lanna come by sometime soon and give a multiple vaccination (not just rabies) to all the animals we can find. It is safer to do it at a different time than the sterilization, and I would like to get to work on this soon, so we can get them all taken care of ASAP. :o

Catnip Party at Wat Pa Pao

If you see Khun Dee, please tell him what catnip is used for. He has two ziploc bags inside the supply cage.

I was mildly concerned bringing them into Thailand two years ago, because they look like what most people take out of Thailand.

Lanna Dog Rescue came by yesterday and is going to give us a date next month to fix all the cats and also some of the cats and dogs in the same neighborhood that don't always sleep at the temple.

If it is possible, I would also like to have Lanna come by sometime soon and give a multiple vaccination (not just rabies) to all the animals we can find. It is safer to do it at a different time than the sterilization, and I would like to get to work on this soon, so we can get them all taken care of ASAP. :o

I'm only quoting it because it was the last post on page 4, and I moved this thread up to 5 pages 2 hours after this was posted. It's a bit more important than the catnip party. But I just realized catnip does attract cats, which could be useful for these visits.

Edited by Calico

I haven't mentioned it before, but we are paying Lanna Dog Rescue a wholesale rate to sterilize and take care of the animals. They do sterilize dogs and cats for free, but we don't want to eat up their funds if we don't need to.

People - especially Priceless and Ajarn - have been very generous, so we can afford to pay our way. :o

I'm going to take the microphone at tomorrow's CEC meeting and mention the kitties. I was hoping someone more telegenic, like Priceless, would step forward, but never mind. I do look a bit like a scruffy alley cat, so that oughta work.

And I do wish the "Edit" feature didn't vanish quite so quickly. One of my earlier posts is so incoherent because I typed it fresh off a bike ride, dripping on the keyboard and stuff. As opposed to my usual oozing...

Edited by Calico

I'm going to take the microphone at tomorrow's CEC meeting and mention the kitties. I was hoping someone more telegenic, like Priceless, would step forward, but never mind.

Maybe Priceless would consent to doing a charity bathing suit calender to raise money for the animals?

I'm going to take the microphone at tomorrow's CEC meeting and mention the kitties. I was hoping someone more telegenic, like Priceless, would step forward, but never mind.

Maybe Priceless would consent to doing a charity bathing suit calender to raise money for the animals?

Now, now, let's not scare the good people away :o

/ Priceless

Way back in September 2000, I met a little Calico cat from Hong Kong who was unwanted. (Wake up!) I found her at the SPCA in Wan Chai, Hong Kong. Bent tail, mite-infested ears, bald head, looked 4 months old but was in fact 7 months old (malnourished), and for the most part had that "up yours" attitude that I love so much.

Four months later, she was in the SPCA's Cat-A-Day Calendar. They gave her three days. (My birthday was one of them, and that was totally a coincidence.)

Eight years later, she's still in our house, in Chiang Mai. By far -- BY FAR -- the brightest member of this household. Highest card in the deck. Sharpest knife in the rack. Brightest bulb in the chandelier. I showed her photo to Khun Dee because I show it to everybody, and I choose to believe he was every bit as sincere in his admiration as he appeared to be. (Don't comment, please.)

Aside from that single sole solitary calendar, I don't believe in calendars with photos. Not even with poses by Priceless, which fortunately he will not do. I only mentioned him in regards to CEC because his spoken English is much better than mine.

So let's get back on track and help these kitties. And forget what my lovely little lady cat does to gecko tails because that's just too unpleasant to contemplate.

(But her skills are improving rapidly...)

We have food, Frontline, tick stuff, bamboo mats, toys with bells, and a catnip story I will share with you when I'm able to do it justice. Coming soon, shots and "fixing" and a quilt that my own little cat must eventually grow bored with because she has a shorter attention span than I do. Dang, we're good!

Oh, and for a totally off-topic P.S., I see Ulysses every Sunday morning. I'm the farang at Thapae Gate in the purple and yellow who scares small children. My lovely lady cat has the same reaction before I leave the house.

Yes, Big U, I am one of the bicycle people. Every single ride starting on February 10, which is the day after I first heard of them. A pet farang who shows up every week and loves it.

I had a very wrong thought on my bicycle today. I was heading out to Wat Pa Pao, just up the road, and I wondered if I should donate one of Miss Picasso's scratching posts to the wat. Um, those cats use trees. Duh!

Back to your question. I had a paper-trained puppy way back when who peed on what I was reading. I had to call him a good boy and give him a cuddle.

So I presume that means I have no suggestions. Cats are all very individual, as we both know so well. I'm no Cesar Milan over here.

However, if I were a cat, I'd sharpen my claws on any British lady who intoned "pussy cat is not allowed on surfaces!' To paraphrase and clean up Richard Pryor, the cat lives here and you are just visiting. Khun Dee knows what I'm on about and he isn't even reading this. Talking to him is like talking to a fellow computer geek. Language really is secondary to common interests. And bicycles.

Edited by Calico

Eek, you are our inspiration.

Priceless, I'm glad you showed up, although I think CEC remembered its intermittently enforced rule about who gets to hold a microphone. I missed the announcement, same as I do all announcements at CEC meetings these days.

Had they given me the microphone, by the way, I was going to give directions along the lines up "Y'all go up that way to Wat Pa Pao, or hang a right and go to Tusker's, or slip on past Tusker's and say hey at Gecko." I guess Chris wasn't so sponsor-friendly. :o

Ulysses, I'll see you tomorrow. I'll be the pet farang at Thapae Gate who isn't wearing a leash. I'm riding to Lamphun, and if that's not the perfect name for a Thai town then I don't know what is.

Actually, folks, I donated my Frontline to Khun Dee whilst kitted out in the bike club's flamboyant pink and yellow. I'm pleased to report that he didn't panic. Nor did the kitties.

And hey hey, that bumps this thread up top again. Oh yeah.

If you're reading this thread, lurking, and thinking, "What a lovely bunch of cats but I really want to home a kitten," I have news for you. Wat Pa Pao has two kittens. (Scorpion is my favorite of all their cats, and he's their youngest.) Later this month, when the pregnant lady cat has a litter, there will be more kittens. Go get one. Or better yet, two, since they are social and sociable. Or heck, take more. Nobody will complain.

I am thrilled about the spay/neuter campaign.

Ally of Care For Dogs spoke at a CEC meeting a while back. I don't have her charisma -- who does? -- but I can repeat this bit. Towns have actually tried to control the problem of stray dogs with capture and kill programs. I was appalled to learn of this. But in such towns, a few months later, the stray dog population always returns to previous levels. Other dogs move into town. But when towns choose capture and spay/neuter, the problem is solved. They can hang out and do doggie stuff without multiplying, and I as a bicyclist have a loud horn to deal with them safely.

The same applies to cats. (Except for the part about chasing bicycles.) It's a math thing.

So not only is murder inhumane, immoral, and just disgusting, but it's also ineffective. Plus, well, cats are just cooler than the other side of the pillow. I'm glad I have one.

But I bet I'm "preaching to the choir" on this thread. And heck, I'm not even a Christian.

I could be wrong, but I got the idea somewhere that the pregnant cat has already had her babies. She is my favorite, and the one that was in an accident and can't walk quite right.

We have all seen what happens to homeless animals in this part of the world and it isn't pretty. It feels good to be able to help these innocent, loving animals live happy lives. :o

I wasn't sure if Khun Dee was telling me she'd have the babies in 3 weeks or if she'd been pregnant 3 weeks. His English is MUCH MUCH better than my Thai, but the complex can still be elusive from time to time.

I wasn't aware of her accident, because I've only seen her either resting or eating. She's lovely during both activities.

Edited by Calico

Now I'm confused, but that's not a new experience for me. We'll keep this thread at the top one way or another. :D

Khun Dee pointed out the pregnant cat to me and said something about three weeks that I can't remember but which, in hindsight, could've been interpreted one of two ways. And given my anti-social hit-and-run donations, it's not like I know a whole lot about the cats. I get a silly inner giggle knowing Buddha's not sure who to give my merit to. :o That's also why I was happy to see Priceless today. My ignorance.

But my point is, (1) kittens at Wat Pa Pao! and (2) spay/neuter is good.

Ulysses G is the patron saint of strays and waifs, by the way. He owns the only bookstore in town to sell my writing. It's in the bargain bin. I don't know if autographing my books would make them easier or harder to sell.

Edited by Calico

I'm going to self-edit this over the next few days, but in the meantime, fire away with your suggestions and comments. No compliments, please. My head's already too big.

As we all know, Chiang Mai has several good organizations to help with the problem of stray dogs. But to the best of my knowledge, it's never had one for the stray cats. Until now.

There's a guy at Wat Pa Pao. He's not a monk. He's Khun Dee. He loves cats. He has at least 15 of them. All strays and street cats. He's been working hard to feed them. And, for I don't know how long, that's been pretty much the whole story.

Until now.

Word spread of his efforts, and donations have recently begun pouring in. Many kilograms of food. A mind-boggling quantity of Frontline for their fleas. Tick medicine. Catnip, if you can believe it, because cats need to play and goof off sometimes too. Noisy toys and bamboo mats that smell lovely. Soft surfaces to sleep on. Strange farangs wandering in any time of the morning or afternoon to cuddle the kitties.

But here's the biggie. Vaccinations, and spaying/neutering.

Let the redneck repeat that. Spaying/neutering.

The first time I visited Wat Pa Pao, Khun Dee introduced me to all 15 cats by name and history, including the one who was pregnant. Yeah, spaying/neutering.

(Khun Noong because he is Number One, Tong, King Kong, Scorpion...)

Ally of Care For Dogs spoke at a Chiangmai Expats Club meeting a while back. I don't have her charisma -- who does? -- but I can repeat this bit. Towns have actually tried to control the problem of stray dogs with capture and kill programs. I was appalled to learn of this. But in such towns, a few months later, the stray dog population always returns to previous levels. Other dogs move into town. But when towns choose capture and spay/neuter, the problem is solved. They can hang out and do doggie stuff without multiplying, and I as a bicyclist have a loud horn to deal with them safely. And I love doggies.

So here comes the reason I'm coming out of retirement to write one last column. Cats. I love them too.

If you hop onto Maneeopparat Road, which leads along the north side of the moat going west to east (outside the moat as opposed to inside), you will see a sign saying "Wat Pa Pao" shortly before that road ends, but only if you look for it. It's probably easier to find on my bicycle, or on foot, than in a motor vehicle. But it's certainly worth the effort regardless of how you travel.

Drop by to donate food, medicine, cuddles, toys, soft sleeping surfaces, or whatever. Or heck, home a kitten or two. They have new babies, old adults, and everything in between. All healthy beauties. Go in through the gate, turn left as soon as you can, slip to the back of the wat, and say hi to some cats. They'll be sleeping on the stairs and in the building, same as always. They love people, and I presume you are a people, so all will be well.

The spaying/neutering campaign, to be real blunt, needs money. They'd love to do more than just those 15 cats at the wat, or even the others in the same neighborhood. I'd love to see them spay/neuter every single cat in Chiang Mai. But baht are required.

If you pass Wat Pa Pao and hang a right, you'll soon find yourself at the intersection that leads to Tuskers. Or if you go a wee bit farther, you can find a branch of Gecko Bookstore. Both are accepting donations for these cats.

I think we can all learn from cats, by the way. And if you've read all the way to the end of this column, I know you agree. Meow.

Indeed this is excellent work and inspiration of eek and others, now recognising that just a little help goes a long, long way is really heartening to witness.

And Calico, you have a good memory, indeed sterilisation is the way to go, culling merely creates a vacuum. A word of warning though, just like most temples in Thailand, if there is a food source because of a current pet friendly monk being in residence, there will be an increase in dumpings of unwanted pets. The further problem arises when the pet friendly monk moves on, leaving the temple. Other resident monks at the temple may not be so inclined.

at Doi Kam is a prime example of this. The monk who presided there 2 years ago cared for the dumped dogs, even arranged and facilitated feeding. Often you could drive up there and find a new duped dog, sitting at the entrance to the car park, hoping the next car arriving was the same one that dumped them there.

The numbers grew and then the monk decided to leave monking and became an artist instead. The new monk came along, with an entourage of support (cooks & cleaners) but the feeding declined and the numbers of dogs resident too. In fact the injuries to and loss of dogs rose.

What a shame the initiative at Wat Pa Pao cannot be copied at more temples. There are in excess of 350 in Chiang Mai alone and from my experience, at least half of these are over populated with dogs and cats looking for a home. Some temples are lucky to have a little old lady living nearby, who might visit with food scraps, some might have a pet friendly monk. If any of you were to visit a temple car park just once a month with just a morsel of food, it would make at least one cat or dog happier.

Sorry to have rattled on ...Well done you folks for making a difference. And yes, I am back with Care for Dogs after taking a short break from volunteering.

Ally