Home Schooling In Cm

sylviex

Right; no value can be ascribed to a good education of the conventional kind, and better if possible.

BUT I can tell you something that may reassure you somewhat -- what children learn at school is overwhelmingly about knowing how to fit in at school, and only very little, relatively, about anything else.

"Social skills" come from home and outside, too. Home tutored kids tend to be brighter and more confident.

:o

I have been saddened by some of the home tutored kids I have met in CM because of their lack of confidence. They just do not seem to function outside their homeschool group and have little knowledge about their surroundings.

Others I have met have been fine (not brighter or more confident) but it seems like about 50-50.

The quotes above are from me and another poster, on the thread about the Economy.

How to ensure your kids get a good education is an issue many face here.

Home schooling is an interesting topic. Any comments or experiences ? Anything particular to the CM expat context that is important for parents to note ?

I wonder why some of the home-tutored kids described by the other poster seem not to be doing well. Any thoughts ?

Most of the home schooling I have come across here has been by fundamental Christians, who are scared to allow their offspring to experience the real world in case they become polluted.

If someone wants to embrace "the other side", no amount of blindfolding is going to protect them. I feel sorry for these parents because they truly want the best for their children, but the temptations of the earth, or maybe just a strong desire to know truth, are powerful attractions. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Even though it is true that a lot of parents choosing home schooling have a religious agenda, not all of them do. Let's keep this in mind.

I think that a well-rounded educator (and/or a parent who is willing to research current educational practices) could educate a child better and faster as the child would be receiving one-on-one help, which --we know-- is much more efficient.

In terms of social development, it could occur by way of sport or club activities.

Home schooling is likely to be seen by unions and teachers as a threat.

QUESTION:

Are there laws in Thailand that force a child to go to school? If a child did not go to school, what are the implications (if any) should this student wish to go to university. I would assume that they would need to show that they can handle courses. How would they be tested? Is there a website that indicates what needs to take place?

In my country, ...

The school principal shall offer to the homeschooled child or the parents free of charge:

evaluation and assessment services sufficient to determine the educational progress achieved by the child in relation to students of similar age and ability, and

the loan of educational resource materials that are authorized and recommended by the Minister, and which, in the board's opinion, are sufficient to enable the child to pursue his or her educational program, and

the parent and/or homeschooled child is free to accept or reject evaluation/assessment services or the loan of learning resource materials that have been offered by the school, and

the school has no authority to approve or supervise the educational program of a homeschooled child, and

parents may educate their children at home, but they must provide each school-age child with an "educational program", and

the child does not get a grade 12 completion certificate.