Ping River Cruise...

lightstar

Hi all,

was just wondering what the best river cruise is to do on the Ping River, and if it's worth doing.

I've seen one offering dinner, which I don't really want to do, as I'd like to go during the day / early evening so that I can see the life going on along the river bank.

Has anyone done just a boat ride without dinner? Was it good - with lots of interesting things to see? How far along the river do they go? And what's the cost?

Cheers.

Hi all,

was just wondering what the best river cruise is to do on the Ping River, and if it's worth doing.

I've seen one offering dinner, which I don't really want to do, as I'd like to go during the day / early evening so that I can see the life going on along the river bank.

Has anyone done just a boat ride without dinner? Was it good - with lots of interesting things to see? How far along the river do they go? And what's the cost?

Cheers.

Hi, I took the cruise from the wat Chai Mongrol a few weeks ago. There were few customer but the small long boats only hold 3-4. It was 500 baht which I thought was expensive for what you got. I noticed they had larger boats for larger groups but these were not in use. We went up the river for about and hour, not two interesting and then stopped at a designated rest area where we were given fruit and a drink. Then we went down the river for another hour to the starting point. Restful but not much to see.

Hi all,

Cheers.

Hi, I took the cruise from the wat Chai Mongrol a few weeks ago. There were few customer but the small long boats only hold 3-4. It was 500 baht which I thought was expensive for what you got. I noticed they had larger boats for larger groups but these were not in use. We went up the river for about and hour, not two interesting and then stopped at a designated rest area where we were given fruit and a drink. Then we went down the river for another hour to the starting point. Restful but not much to see.

Why don't they go downstream, which is much nicer visually? Going upriver, it's a bit interesting in San Pii Sua, but north and south of San Pii Sua, it's construction, and gravel/sand companies mostly. At least you were relaxed, which is the main point, I think.

Edited by Ajarn

Hi all,

Cheers.

Why don't they go downstream, which is much nicer visually? Going upriver, it's a bit interesting in San Pii Sua, but north and south of San Pii Sua, it's construction, and gravel/sand companies mostly. At least you were relaxed, which is the main point, I think.

Good question. I wasn't aware of that.

Hi all,

Cheers.

Have to say that my wife and I , in other company, have had very pleasant boat rides in the evening from Riverside Restaurant. Not much to see, obviously, at night other than lights , but a lot of very pleasant atmosphere.

They have recently increased their charge from 90 baht to 120 or 150 baht, but if people are prepared to spend 500 baht for the ride elsewhere, it sounds like good sense to take the cruise from Riverside and have a VERY pleasant meal thrown in all for 500 baht.

Cheers

There is an outfit at the boat jetty at a Wat just downstream of the Iron Bridge - town side, that does trips up river to a place called "Farmer's House".

It is a bit expensive for what it is - but nonetheless is a pleasant experience. I have taken family visitors on it several times, and always enjoyed.

The trip lasts about 45 mins each way. At the destination - the "Farmer's House" the stop is about 45 mins. They serve cold drink and fruit free - other food & drink can be purchased.

At the Farmer's house there are gardens with local fruits and herbs, with name plaques in English and Thai - so it is also a bit educational.

There is also a bit of a museum of farming and rice grinding equipment etc.

Sorry, can't give you the name of the company or Wat as I am away from home at the moment and no maps/leaflets on hand to check - and the memory aint what it used to be.

(but I'm not sure what it used to be). The Wat is very near to that huge new Novotel or whatever hotel.

Hope that helps,

J.

There is at least one river cruise available from the end of Chang Klan road, just past the new Sofitel, I believe the destination is Wiang Khum Kam . . . so it's not exactly a long distance cruise but I believe there's a food, drink and tour of the ruins package.

JxP