Art Supplies /canvas / Paint In Bangkok ?

austriandutch

Hi there ,

Does anyone know where to find not to expensive art supplies in BKK ? I would need Canvas ( small and very large 2-3 meters), paint ( oil , acryl etc..), brushes etc.....

I am also looking for an Atelier/Place to work in ...If anyone knows...it would be much appreciated...

regards

Hi there ,

Does anyone know where to find not to expensive art supplies in BKK ? I would need Canvas ( small and very large 2-3 meters), paint ( oil , acryl etc..), brushes etc.....

I am also looking for an Atelier/Place to work in ...If anyone knows...it would be much appreciated...

regards

Whether they are cheap or not I don't know, but if you go down Rajvithi Rd from Moon Muang there is an art supplies/office supplies/book store on your right, just before you get to the UN Irish Pub.

/ Priceless

Hi there ,

regards

Hi,

Do you want to buy these supplies in CM or BKK?

Just wondering as you would be a lot better posting in the BKK forum rather than here?

art supplies are pretty expensive. there is a shop that sells most things near the democracy monument. it's to the left of the mcdonalds if you are facing it. i would think silpakorn (art) university must have a shop that sells stuff too?

• Like 1

i would think silpakorn (art) university must have a shop that sells stuff too?

Yes, there is (a small) one. And there are a couple small shops amongst the Buddha icon sellers and the false teeth sellers across the street.

Your best bet may be here. They are importers and supply many of the arts shops around Thailand. They have a showroom you can visit and although they are wholesalers, they will gladly accommodate you if you are looking to buy an entire roll of canvas, for example.

i would think silpakorn (art) university must have a shop that sells stuff too?

Yes, there is (a small) one. And there are a couple small shops amongst the Buddha icon sellers and the false teeth sellers across the street.

Your best bet may be here. They are importers and supply many of the arts shops around Thailand. They have a showroom you can visit and although they are wholesalers, they will gladly accommodate you if you are looking to buy an entire roll of canvas, for example.

Many many shops around Silapakorn University (this is the art university). There is even a shop within the uni that you can go to. Also B2S has some great paints and brushes and they no more expensive than the ones that can be bought in USA or Europe.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I've just been looking for the same materials and finally came up trumps. Yes, the shop on Ratchadamri sells a wide range of stuff - as girlx said, it's to the left of McDonalds - that one's called Sukphand. It's okay.

The best range is from a shop called 'Somjai' in "the old Siam" on the first floor (that's actually the ground floor) - there are two central halls with lots of stalls in the old Siam. One sells clothes and tat and the other sells Thai snacks and sweets. Head for that one. I think it's a couple of doors down from Watsons. From the outside it looks like a newsagents/bookshop but it goes back a long way and has a good selection of European art supplies. I bought 37ml of oil paint from Emporium/Paragon for 146 baht and the same paint costs 98 baht in Somjai. They also have Georgian range of W&N as well as the Artist Quality - and a huge range of other brands/materials to suit all budgets. I also bought an aluminium easel at Emporium for 3800 baht and the same one cost 1900 baht at Somjai. Telephone number 02 225 0541.

The Old Siam branch is actually branch No3. Branch No1 is opposite the Engineering School - Rongreeyun Po Chung - about five minutes walk from the Old Siam. Tel 02 222 6770. Find your way out of the Old Siam to the side with S&P and McDonalds and keep walking back until you see the engineering school on the other side of the road. Again, it's tucked away. Gessos, all sorts of oils, mediums, canvases large and small, canvas on the roll: all to be had at all branches of Somjai. That stuff can now also be had from Emporium, Paragon and Central Chidlom but the price is quite a bit dearer.

There is a smaller shop called Siam Art in the Old Siam - this one's near the hall with clothes - it's much smaller and has a different range of stuff but high quality as well. Worth a look. I mention this one because it's got a branch in Chiang Mai and several people have asked for art supplies in CM. Telephone 05 341 8 243. 41/4 Sriphum Road.

Hope that helps you all in your quest.

now that this is being brought up again i would like to add that paragon department store also has a good selection of art supplies on (i think) the 3rd floor (same floor as kinokuniya books, whichever one that is)...

• 2 months later...

Im about to stay 3 months in BKK, and considering buying paint and canvas there, instead of bring from Norway.

i read that u say its expencive in thailand? I use plain oil, and canvas I bring back home in rolls.

Do any have price examples for pig hair brushes and paint buckets (oil and acryl ) ?

Hi Austriandutch:

I came across this website awhile ago: http://www.attic-studios.com/

Attic Studios is located on Sukhumvit Soi 31. A British artist runs this business where artists may rent studio space for 7,500THB per month. All art supplies and furniture (such as easels and lights, etc.) are provided except for canvas. Might this meet your needs?

Edited by Amyji

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kees1948 said:

I am looking for archival mounting board, or Matt board, acid free, like Bainbridge or other brand, to mount and matt photographs and other works of art on paper.

Im also looking,... not as easy as I thought.  

There is an excellent framing shop on Sukhumvit between Ekkamai and Phra Khanong where I was able to buy acid free, cut mats for mounting and framing photographic prints.

Get off the BTS at Ekkamai, exiting through the Gateway Mall.  Walk on Sukhumvit against traffic towards Phra Khanong.  About 200 m. along you will pass a golf driving range.  The shop is about a  block or two past the range.  Very obvious open shop.

Several hundred meters further along, same side is a "Paper store" with every kind of paper product, including art supplies and mat board though I don't know if they stock archival.  It is run by a bevy of old ladies who know where every item is located...the place is huge.

Just before the Phra Khanong BTS.  If going there via Phra Khanong BTS, use exit #2, walk with traffic.

Edited by dddave