Satellite Internet In Chiang Mai

realthaideal

I've been back n forth to TOT n TTnT and finally found a lady (upper mgmt) who could give me a decent answer at the TOT main office about the new house I'm moving into this week - 'We do have adsl but it is very very slow.' I still don't understand quite what the difference is between the phone line and the little box they hook up beside it to make adsl work - it's still the same line just with some sort of splitter or booster ? Anyway, until I investigate further with what the neighbors have, it looks like maybe satellite internet would be a good way to go. Anyone out there using it currently and with good results for fast access, especially ability to download movies (P2P) ? That is a major consideration for me, but price of course will figure heavily too.

By the way, I'll be on the Hang Dong road, almost right across from Lanna Int'l school, on the same side as the transportation office. I've got to imagine there's decent service for someone in that area.

I am further out along the Hang Dong Road - Also use TOT ADSL. They have had problems with an optical cable for a month or so now - so speed is dire. Should get better before too long.

Problem with satellite is your traffic volume is severely limited - so P2P is not viable.

(*BTW discussion of movie downloads is not permitted on Thai Visa.)

RTD, they would stick you to at least a 6 month or 1 year contract just to find out that its lousy on P2P's. also horrible on VOIP and skype protocols. Suitable only for browsing if thats the only thing you intend to do.

I would give CAT CDMA a try. Very little congestion. Only thing is that the initial setup is a bit pricey. ie. 12k for a air card that supports up to 2Mbps. A splitter is what the tiny box is. Its to minimise interference to the internet connection and vice versa.

all in all : satellite internet is a lousy option unless you are living in some tiny lonely island or deep in the jungle.

[b}note to the mods[/b]: a lot of legal software and downloads are available as p2p and hence should be allowed to be discussed on TV. ie Linux distros such as Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, etc etc. The fastest and sensible way for them to allow these freewares are through P2P networks (including the controversial torrents). This allows them to save on Bandwidth that they would otherwise need to pay for through direct downloads to the server. So to sum it all, forums banning the help of p2p would only burden what some organisations are hoping to give out free. perhaps a re-look at TV policies regarding p2p should help factor in on what and what should not be allowed. its about time!