Which Is Your Plan In Pattaya?

ImperialDiamond

I don't live in Pattaya. The last few years I have been found 3-4 times a year in Pattaya. This year I will be going to Pattaya for 6 months. Eventually I am planning on retiring in Thailand and I am not sure if it will be Pattaya.

Pattaya seems to be a good start since a lot of Expats already live there. The only thing I don't know yet is if I will like it enough to live there.

B.

After 10 years living here permanently, if I did not have a family here, I would only come for fun and frolic. Too many backward things for my taste. Police are a joke completely!!! the Pattaya City admins are also a joke; the so-called land of smiles is not that at all.......beware of the hand in your back pocket. These folks for the most part are not 'wired-up' too well. I have two homes in Thailand; two kids in University and two in English private school, so I am doing my part in trying to prevent 4 Thais from falling into the mess I see around me daily. So, I cannot just up and leave as is suggested by some who are here trying to re-invent themselves. I have learned to not put myself into compromising positions or in situations that piss me off, so I can live the jai yen yen attitude, but I still maintain the right to 'bitch' a little when it is called for. Slowly too, the price is not staying 'right' with the baht being where it is not justified. I am thankful that I have enough income to not be too effected by this volatile movement, but I see many ex-pats who have had to really tighten their belts or leave for Cambodia........with the greed and corruption as a way of life here (and in Asia), I have little hope for too much change in my lifetime. Tum dee die dee, tum chua die chua (phonetically)........I hope?

After 10 years living here permanently, if I did not have a family here, I would only come for fun and frolic. Too many backward things for my taste. Police are a joke completely!!! the Pattaya City admins are also a joke; the so-called land of smiles is not that at all.......beware of the hand in your back pocket. These folks for the most part are not 'wired-up' too well. I have two homes in Thailand; two kids in University and two in English private school, so I am doing my part in trying to prevent 4 Thais from falling into the mess I see around me daily. So, I cannot just up and leave as is suggested by some who are here trying to re-invent themselves. I have learned to not put myself into compromising positions or in situations that piss me off, so I can live the jai yen yen attitude, but I still maintain the right to 'bitch' a little when it is called for. Slowly too, the price is not staying 'right' with the baht being where it is not justified. I am thankful that I have enough income to not be too effected by this volatile movement, but I see many ex-pats who have had to really tighten their belts or leave for Cambodia........with the greed and corruption as a way of life here (and in Asia), I have little hope for too much change in my lifetime. Tum dee die dee, tum chua die chua (phonetically)........I hope?

You sound like me.

I have been in the states of the united for 16 years "permanently"?.

4 weekends ago I got pulled over for going to the mountains with my truck loaded with 4 kids with snowboards on my rooftop. 6 am in the morning in the smallest little town. That cop handed me a $704 ticket for going 39 MPH in a 25 MPH zone plus I didn't have the current piece of paper on me that proofs that I have insurance. I was insured. Going to trial...the judge was so nice ...I only had to pay 304 dollars. That day in court I watched people just being milked for having a dog that is too big, a nurse driving without seat belt....she picks patients up and drops them off. Corruption is not a new idea...it does get out of hand no matter what country.

In other words...what you are descibing is not limited to Thailand.

I lived in Pattaya for 12 years, 7 of which were on what these days is referred to as the dark side (east of Sukhumvit). Currently I am drifting around S. E. Asia working wherever there is work. Current project is scheduled to be my last but the problem in my business is that there is always another too good to turn down lurking, waiting for your release from current job.

Anyhow plans are to retire, semi or permanent, to the Pattaya area most likely the dark side and look around for something to keep me occupied. Nothing definite not even Thailand but it will be S. E. Asia. I can relate to HydePark's frustrations and annoyances but either you can live with them or you can't. Personally they don't bother me too much and as for change well that is the only permanent thing in life and we cannot expect everything around us to remain in some time insulating bubble just to please us.

The big question is how I will handle purchasing property. Currently I can only own a condo and, whilst that is not my ideal, when the time comes if that is the only option so be it but who knows what changes the next few years will bring.

I lived in Pattaya for 12 years, 7 of which were on what these days is referred to as the dark side (east of Sukhumvit). Currently I am drifting around S. E. Asia working wherever there is work. Current project is scheduled to be my last but the problem in my business is that there is always another too good to turn down lurking, waiting for your release from current job.

Anyhow plans are to retire, semi or permanent, to the Pattaya area most likely the dark side and look around for something to keep me occupied. Nothing definite not even Thailand but it will be S. E. Asia. I can relate to HydePark's frustrations and annoyances but either you can live with them or you can't. Personally they don't bother me too much and as for change well that is the only permanent thing in life and we cannot expect everything around us to remain in some time insulating bubble just to please us.

The big question is how I will handle purchasing property. Currently I can only own a condo and, whilst that is not my ideal, when the time comes if that is the only option so be it but who knows what changes the next few years will bring.

Why would you want to own something you can never own?

There is not one place left in this world where you can own something....you don't own land or property.

You may try....the truth is that the Government in the country of your choice owns the land or rather said the forces behind that government.

Why buy?

You sound like me.

4 weekends ago I got pulled over for going to the mountains with my truck loaded with 4 kids with snowboards on my rooftop. 6 am in the morning in the smallest little town. That cop handed me a $704 ticket for going 39 MPH in a 25 MPH zone plus I didn't have the current piece of paper on me that proofs that I have insurance. I was insured. Going to trial...the judge was so nice ...I only had to pay 304 dollars. That day in court I watched people just being milked for having a dog that is too big, a nurse driving without seat belt....she picks patients up and drops them off. Corruption is not a new idea...it does get out of hand no matter what country.

Everything nice and well Bernd, but you WERE speeding, the nurse WASN'T wearing a seat belt and maybe the dog WAS bigger than it should be. So this has nothing to do with corruption, maybe ripp off, but not corruption.

You sound like me.

Everything nice and well Bernd, but you WERE speeding, the nurse WASN'T wearing a seat belt and maybe the dog WAS bigger than it should be. So this has nothing to do with corruption, maybe ripp off, but not corruption.

Fine line between rip-off and corruption.Keep in mind that America is legal-obsessed so the later is more to its taste. Asia, like most of the non-western woprld is power obsessed - and money is power.

I'm reminded of distinction between fascism and communism. To those in Gulag

or in Nazi prison was there a difference?

But keep in mind the good side of a less legal oriented country(this applies to most of Asia as well)

I can drink beer on the beech and not have to worry about a wanna-be cop in Canada trying to make a bust. As long as I am not doing harm, I can more or less do what I please. Noone will sue me or

quote a bylaw. This is a side of freedom that is ironically denied by our western "free" countries and their

often ridiculous laws(or their predilection for enforcing said laws).

Corruption, when applied as a technical term, is a general concept describing any organized, interdependent system in which part of the system is either not performing duties it was originally intended to, or performing them in an improper way, to the detriment of the system's original purpose.

If that is the definition of corruption than I would say that Police was meant to serve and protect the citizens, not punish them and take their hard earned rupies for frivolous petty acts.

Just because someone came up with a law of wearing seatbelts.....doesn't mean that this should apply to every single instance.

Do we still have the right when common sense is applied to not wear a seatbelt for a 100 feet to drop off the next patient?

I am not saying that Governments are corrupt :o

Fine line between rip-off and corruption.Keep in mind that America is legal-obsessed so the later is more to its taste. Asia, like most of the non-western woprld is power obsessed - and money is power.

I'm reminded of distinction between fascism and communism. To those in Gulag

or in Nazi prison was there a difference?

But keep in mind the good side of a less legal oriented country(this applies to most of Asia as well)

I can drink beer on the beech and not have to worry about a wanna-be cop in Canada trying to make a bust. As long as I am not doing harm, I can more or less do what I please. Noone will sue me or

quote a bylaw. This is a side of freedom that is ironically denied by our western "free" countries and their

often ridiculous laws(or their predilection for enforcing said laws).

I like and maybe most like their freedom ...as the little bit of freedom as in drinking a beer on the beach.

That's of course one reason I love Thailand and Pattaya.

America is a free country. They even coined the term "freedom is not free". Not sure that makes sense...it never did to me.

I try to stay out of Government involvement. I just hope they stay out of my backyard as well.