Need Help Understanding The Red Songthaews

emh1969

Hi everyone,

I just arrived in town a few days ago so I'm still trying to figure things out. I arrived without any vaccinations so I want to get to Lanna Hospital to get those ASAP. Anyway, here's what just happened:

I hailed a red songthaew near Tha Pae Gate, someone with no other passnegers. Told him where I was going. He asked how much. I said 20 bahts. He said no and drove off, without making a counteroffer. Walked up to the corner of Moon Muang and Sriphum. Hailed a second one, again with no other passengers. He didn't know where the hospital was so I showed him on my map. He said no without ever discussing price. So...lots of questions:

1) I've read on here that the minimum price is 15 baht. But how far does that extend? Does it extend up to Lanna Hospital? If not, what's a reasonable price to pay to get up there?

2) Any idea why the first driver left without making a counteroffer?

3) Any idea why the second driver wouldn't even discuss price? He had no other passengers so it seems a bit odd to me.

4) Would a tuk-tuk be a better way to get up there? If so, about how much should that cost?

5) Given my initial difficulties getting up there, will there be anyone to bring me back to town once I get my vaccinations?

Thanks for the help! I realize that's a lot of questions but I really don't understand this system. I generally like it here (aside from the heat!) and plan to be here for a few months so I definitely need to figure this out.

Ed

Hi everyone,

I just arrived in town a few days ago so I'm still trying to figure things out. I arrived without any vaccinations so I want to get to Lanna Hospital to get those ASAP. Anyway, here's what just happened:

I hailed a red songthaew near Tha Pae Gate, someone with no other passnegers. Told him where I was going. He asked how much. I said 20 bahts. He said no and drove off, without making a counteroffer. Walked up to the corner of Moon Muang and Sriphum. Hailed a second one, again with no other passengers. He didn't know where the hospital was so I showed him on my map. He said no without ever discussing price. So...lots of questions:

1) I've read on here that the minimum price is 15 baht. But how far does that extend? Does it extend up to Lanna Hospital? If not, what's a reasonable price to pay to get up there?

2) Any idea why the first driver left without making a counteroffer?

3) Any idea why the second driver wouldn't even discuss price? He had no other passengers so it seems a bit odd to me.

4) Would a tuk-tuk be a better way to get up there? If so, about how much should that cost?

5) Given my initial difficulties getting up there, will there be anyone to bring me back to town once I get my vaccinations?

Thanks for the help! I realize that's a lot of questions but I really don't understand this system. I generally like it here (aside from the heat!) and plan to be here for a few months so I definitely need to figure this out.

Ed

It seems that the empty Sonthaew wanted a 'taxi' fare for one person. In this case, offer more than 20 baht is a good idea. If he has passengers, then it will most likely be 15-20 baht. He obviously didn't want a single passenger unless they paid more than 20 baht. I would have offered him 60 baht because it is not easy to drive from Pratu Thapae to Lanna Hospital, and I'm pretty sure he would have accepted

Yes, in my opinion, a tuk-tuk would have been a better idea. Same price offered (60 baht), much less hassle and time wasted. It shouldn't be too hard to get away from Lanna, but what about going to CM Ram 1 hospital. Better location, a lot more taxis around, for sure.

Edited by Ajarn

It shouldn't be too hard to get away from Lanna, but what about going to CM Ram 1 hospital. Better location, a lot more taxis around, for sure.

Good idea. I never have a problem going to Ram 1 on a red Songteaw for the minimum price (which might be 20 baht now with gas so expensive).

Thanks for the input. I'll do the tuk-tuk thing tomorrow. I was planning on going to Lanna because I've heard it's cheaper. My friends think I won the lottery. They're wrong. I'm just tight with money. :o

BTW, so where/when does the 15-20 baht Songthaew rate apply???

You tell them where you want to go and if they shake head yes it is 15 baht to destination. If you are farong they will keep the 20 baht bill. I estimate 70 % of the drivers of anything in Thailand can not read a map, thats probably why some just say no. They do not appear educationaly impired this way.

Anywhere shortish distance (couple of kilometers) or where other passengers are going or if you are in a group all going the same way. Sorry to be vague but so are the Songtaews :o Some will only go in the direction that they want (even when empty) others will take you on a cheap tour around the city covering obscure Sois and neighbourhoods for at least 30 minutes for 15 baht. Sit back and enjoy - if you are in hurry or have no patience take a Tuk Tuk never a Songtaew. BTW taxi meters all have broken meters and IMHO try and charge over the odds - up to you but my vote is once again the Tuk Tuk

Anywhere shortish distance (couple of kilometers) or where other passengers are going or if you are in a group all going the same way. Sorry to be vague but so are the Songtaews :o Some will only go in the direction that they want (even when empty) others will take you on a cheap tour around the city covering obscure Sois and neighbourhoods for at least 30 minutes for 15 baht. Sit back and enjoy - if you are in hurry or have no patience take a Tuk Tuk never a Songtaew. BTW taxi meters all have broken meters and IMHO try and charge over the odds - up to you but my vote is once again the Tuk Tuk

emh1969,

SamSipEt's answer has the key answer to your question(s); songtaews will and can go anywhere, as long as they want to. An empty songtaew driver will estimate their chances of picking up other customers along the route to take you somewhere and base his decision on that. So for the "normal" fare of 20 baht, your first driver decided he wouldn't get any other passengers so he said no and left. I would guess the 2nd driver didn't think much of his chances getting other paying passengers either. Next time you want to go somewhere out of the way, ask the driver how much he wants and see if you can negotiate an acceptable fare. Or go with a tuk tuk (but you have to negotiate with them, also).

RE metered taxis: I have no problem getting taxis with working meters. If I get one inside Kad Suan Kaew, they tell me there is a 30 baht surcharge, but other than that my only complaint is that they are higher than songtaews.

Here's the way I see things...

songtaew drivers are <deleted>.

tuk-tuk drivers are <deleted>.

"meter mai dai" taxi drivers are <deleted>. (I was once asked for 200 b to go from Airport plaza to Kad Suan Kaew!!!)

so save yourself a lot of time, money and energy and rent or buy a motorbike. it's the best way to get around town.

hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up paying a tuk-tuk 80 bahts to take me to the hospital. A songteaw driver only charged me 40 bahts to bring me back.

As for renting a motorbike, I may do that at some point. But I have to say that I'm a bit afraid of driving one of them. Particularly coming from the States. Where we drive on the other side of the road.

As for renting a motorbike, I may do that at some point. But I have to say that I'm a bit afraid of driving one of them.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. Do that and then take care and learn properly, and you will have a fighting chance.

Particularly coming from the States. Where we drive on the other side of the road.

Least of your worries.

Like Rasseru, I come from the States, and which side of the road you ride a motobike is minor. You ride all over the left lane, and sometimes in the right lane. As you accumulate tenure here, you learn the shortcuts, which places are closest, etc. But be very careful. I have only used a tuk-tuk or songtaew once this year, when the police wrapped a huge lock and chain around my brand new bike because I parked on Neimenhaimen during rush hour.

Like Rasseru, I come from the States, and which side of the road you ride a motobike is minor. You ride all over the left lane, and sometimes in the right lane. As you accumulate tenure here, you learn the shortcuts, which places are closest, etc. But be very careful. I have only used a tuk-tuk or songtaew once this year, when the police wrapped a huge lock and chain around my brand new bike because I parked on Neimenhaimen during rush hour.

I have been here nearly 2 years and only use my bicycle to get around CM including going to both Lanna and Ram1. I have only used Songthaews when I was arriving or departing CM and my folding bike was in one of my suitcases.

Regarding left lane usage, I come from the states and it was easy to adjust, after the 3rd accident (just kidding). I have been "lucky" so far.

I did have a fun time adjusting, from left to right and back to left again, when I rode my bike from Udon Thani to Vientiane, and back to Thailand.

I have yet to use tuk-tuks in CM. I did get a free ride from one in Vientiane last year. It was 1AM and I was slowly jogging back to my GH. He was riding along side me, asking me if I wanted a ride, as I jogged, I pointed to my feet repeating "tuk tuk tuk tuk etc." He smiled and gave up asking, saying "ride, no charge". He's luck I only had another 1/2K to go.