Gmail..... ?

kin hell

I have it and am using it to do a particular sensitive backup to instead of using it as email. There is a shell program that will allow you to use it as part of the Explorer and even assign a drive name. GREAT! :o

eye understand that g-mail is an invasion of privacy because they scan e-mails fore keywords sew they can target advertise. maybe da 1 gb of space is two good too bee true. on da other hand, with da stalk price sew hi they can afford two give away extra space four free. watt due all of ewe think?

The thing is e-mails get only scanned by software, to be able to assign relevant advertising. Knowing the volume of e-mails going around the chance is pretty slim an actual person gets to see your mails....

Anyway, they're upfront and honest about it so I don't see a problem here...

I think the great thing is the speed of the interface, works really spiffy after the first time you use, they certainly make efficient use of cache files etc...

One more question: how secure this thing? What protocol is use?

Nothing in the world is secure except the fact that we all will die someday and that we are suppose to pay taxes.

I really would not trust top secret stuff in there for one and I do not know the protocil. I back up usage data (just numbers) and record of bandwith along with a few other things.

I certainly would not keep my Swiss banking information there, if I had any.

Oh forgot to mention that you are limited to transferring less than 10MB of files on each occasion. So big backup are out of the question.

Suggest automating a bunch of little backups from data within MyDocuments and then transferring them one at a time later in the day. :o

I have been a happy user of Gmail for six months now. I have even had use for the "search" function to find some information for my husband that was in an email from...somebody. I have all my other email forwarded to my Gmail account so that I need only check my mail once. On one occasion, I actually clicked on one of their small adverts on the side, as it seemed to be precisely what I was looking for. It was. I had no difficulty keeping up with my email for the 7 weeks I was in Thailand. I couldn't be happier with Gmail, and I am the original webmail hater. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I see a crying need for email accounts that LAST, and provide decent amounts of storage. Some universities provide this; the shell account you used while a student, complete with home directory and ftp access, can be kept permanently as an alumni perk after you graduate. I think that the postal services of every country ought to assign/accept one email address for every citizen/resident. That email account should be accessible worldwide, and should be publicly available, like a mailing address is currently. We all know that snailmail is doomed to die, and email to replace it. The only question is the timeframe.

We need email and instant messaging to be viewed as utilities, like electricity and phone service. They should be regulated so they all play nicely together (you can message a user of any im client from your client) and have it be worlwide this time instead of national/regional. This is the future. How do we get there from here?