A Proper Burger In Bangkok

Gents

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/themenu/items_hamburgers.php

Do you think this concept would work in Bangkok?

Its nothing like McDonalds and Burger King, there's no shit in the meat - its a whole different experience and doesn't focus on Kids.

A Proper burger and other, similar food. And it would be double the price of your crappy fast food burget restaurants

I think the American reader will know JR's as they are quite big in the states as well as countries throughout the Middle East.

I'm thinking of opening 3 places along with my partner (the minimum investment for a new territory).

One on the lower Sukhumvit, one in Pattaya and one more in BKK at a location to be agreed

What do you reckon?

Thanks

Instead of Johnny Rocket's, I would go with a Fatburger franchise agreement. Fatburger just opened a restaurant in Macau (at the Venetian) and has a store in Beijing and Hong Kong, so they probably are interested in selling the franchise license for Thailand. Fatburger has a better theme than Johnny Rocket's (blues vs. American diner). Fatburger has better burgers, fries and is a hotter franchise in the U.S. than Johnny Rocket's, which has not been able to expand that quickly.

Fatburger US website

Wikipedia link

<h4></h4>

About Fatburger: Founded in Los Angeles, California in 1952, the Fatburger restaurant chain has 90 restaurants serving big, fresh, 100 percent pure lean beef burgers custom made and grilled right in front of customers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Canada and now in Macao. Based in Santa Monica, California, the company is actively seeking new franchisees for available territories across the nation. Fatburger is a subsidiary of Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. (OTCBB: FCCG). For more information, or to find a Fatburger restaurant near you, go to www.fatburger.com

Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. Opens Its First Fatburger Restaurant In China

(PORTLAND, OR) – October 1, 2007 -- Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. (OTCBB: FCCG) has announced the opening of the company’s first Fatburger restaurant in China, located in the Venetian® Macao-Resort-Hotel.

Joining Fatburger in this venture is Grammy winning artist and producer Pharrell Williams. Williams, one half of the production duo The Neptunes and the lead singer and drummer of the funk-rock band N.E.R.D., has partnered with the chain to open Fatburger’s first 10 locations in China.

Additional Fatburger restaurants are scheduled to open in Hong Kong in the coming months: the first on Queens Road East and the second at Jia Hotel in Causeway Bay in early 2008. Fatburger also plans to open a Beijing location at Solana – the city’s first lifestyle center – in April 2008. Fatburger estimates call for approximately 25 locations in China by the end of 2010, all company-owned. Additional sites on the horizon include further locations in Hong Kong, Macao, Shenzen, Beijing and Shanghai. Customers will enjoy Fatburger favorites, including imported, fresh, 100 percent pure lean beef burgers, homemade onion rings made from scratch each morning and hand-scooped real ice cream shakes.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Instead of Johnny Rocket's, I would go with a Fatburger franchise agreement. Fatburger just opened a restaurant in Macau (at the Venetian) and has a store in Beijing and Hong Kong, so they probably are interested in selling the franchise license for Thailand. Fatburger has a better theme than Johnny Rocket's (blues vs. American diner). Fatburger has better burgers, fries and is a hotter franchise in the U.S. than Johnny Rocket's, which has not been able to expand that quickly.

Fatburger US website

Wikipedia link

<h4></h4>

About Fatburger: Founded in Los Angeles, California in 1952, the Fatburger restaurant chain has 90 restaurants serving big, fresh, 100 percent pure lean beef burgers custom made and grilled right in front of customers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Canada and now in Macao. Based in Santa Monica, California, the company is actively seeking new franchisees for available territories across the nation. Fatburger is a subsidiary of Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. (OTCBB: FCCG). For more information, or to find a Fatburger restaurant near you, go to www.fatburger.com

Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. Opens Its First Fatburger Restaurant In China

(PORTLAND, OR) – October 1, 2007 -- Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc. (OTCBB: FCCG) has announced the opening of the company’s first Fatburger restaurant in China, located in the Venetian® Macao-Resort-Hotel.

Joining Fatburger in this venture is Grammy winning artist and producer Pharrell Williams. Williams, one half of the production duo The Neptunes and the lead singer and drummer of the funk-rock band N.E.R.D., has partnered with the chain to open Fatburger’s first 10 locations in China.

Additional Fatburger restaurants are scheduled to open in Hong Kong in the coming months: the first on Queens Road East and the second at Jia Hotel in Causeway Bay in early 2008. Fatburger also plans to open a Beijing location at Solana – the city’s first lifestyle center – in April 2008. Fatburger estimates call for approximately 25 locations in China by the end of 2010, all company-owned. Additional sites on the horizon include further locations in Hong Kong, Macao, Shenzen, Beijing and Shanghai. Customers will enjoy Fatburger favorites, including imported, fresh, 100 percent pure lean beef burgers, homemade onion rings made from scratch each morning and hand-scooped real ice cream shakes.

Thanks - great idea. The Franchise fees are cheaper. The JR franchise requires 3 branches minimum for a new territory. One brach means a net 500K USD with 200K USD as liquid capital. So, we have to show 1.5 million - seems like these figures are based on US numbers. Fatburger appears ok though.

I think the quality of beef or in this case ground beef has a lot to do the the tasteless burgers here. Same for quality of steaks here. Miss eating steaks in the States :o

So do I hence the reason why I think this will work. Escape the Middle East and the only muslim connection will be the Malaysian meat

Instead of Johnny Rocket's, I would go with a Fatburger franchise agreement.

Wow... That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as I read Johnny Rocket's :o

When I lived in Santa Monica, there were both JR and FB on the promenade. JR was always packed with tourists and I think the whole diner theme with soda jerk outfits presentation helped quite a bit to lure in business. The food always irritated my stomach though and was just too greasy (in a bad way). On the other hand, the FB was much smaller and plain looking but I would sit in the office dayreaming about a delicious kingburger with fried egg. I'm guessing you could spruce things up a bit though for the Thai market. I mean, it's not like I've ever seen a KFC in the states that give you food on a real plate. I would have loved to have Fatburger durring my stays Thailand. That and good taco.

I would have loved to have Fatburger durring my stays Thailand. That and good taco.

I'm planning on opening a SoCal-styled hamburger-taco joint in Rayong. The burgers will be patterned off of Fatburger, along with their great blues jukebox music. The Mexican part of the menu will feature authentic Mexican food (like the tacos al pastor below), as well as Mexican entrees adapted to Thailand.

Fatburger

E32002_FatburgerDKBCE.jpg

Tacos al Pastor

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Those pics are making me hungry. Red Robin here in the US does a great burger. Its a pretty big chain. The key to a great burger is they broil it not fry it like alot of places do. It gives it a real bbq taste. Fudruckers is a great chain also. You can select which toppings you want to put on your burger and they make the burgers in diffreent sizes. You can get a 1 lb burger if you want.

Triple O is VERY good. Their menu is printed dumb but you can easily see what all they offer. 7th floor Central World Tower.

Hold the mayo.

A diner would do well for sure. Make sure you have chicken fried steak cream gravy free coffee refills & breakfast served anytime.

Go & check out your competition. Foodland Soi 5. Outback Steak House Discovery Bully's near Soi Nana & Gullivers Soi 5.

Don't know why you need a franchaise. TGIF was here >>> Gone Wendy's >>> Gone

Outback is VERY expensive. Bully's have probably the best value for money & tastiest food but it's a sports bar.

You'll have to decide if you want to sell beer or not.

Remember - the only reason Mickey Dees is still here is because they sell fried chicken. Their customer is Thai - not falang.

I am a marketing major. If you want someone to go around with you just holler.

Wish I owned just one subway shop.

Bully's have probably the best value for money & tastiest food but it's a sports bar.

I agree about Bully's. The portions are a little small for the price, but good food. The beer is ICE COLD which makes up for the small portions. :o

I would kill for a good burger.

I am somewhat of a burger snob. I eat at Fuddruckers in the US, or maybe Red Robin as the only chains I actually like. Yes, Fatburger is OK as a sandwich, but it is not really a great burger.

I make burgers at home, taking real care and time to make them right. As I said, I am very particular on my burgers.

I have not been able to find any good burgers in Thailand. Chokchai is perhaps the least horrible, but it is in no way good. Triple O at Central World has lousy burgers (although their onion rings are good.) I have even tried to make burgers myself, but they turn out pretty bad. So I have to think it is the beef itself being used.

If you open a good burger joint, I think you are going to have to import your meat. But if you get a good burger, then I, for one, would be there at least once a week.

Good luck!

Bully's have probably the best value for money & tastiest food but it's a sports bar.

I agree about Bully's. The portions are a little small for the price, but good food. The beer is ICE COLD which makes up for the small portions. :D

And they serve one of the best Sloppy Joes I've ever eaten. :o

I was recently very very impressed with a new chain out of Washington DC and now quickly expanding called FIVE GUYS BURGERS. Beats Rockets and In and Out with a stick. Fantastic concept. Probably hard to do in Thailand the same way, even if just copied.

http://www.fiveguys.com/

The main part of the "gimmick" that makes Five Guys so good:

good quality beef, hand formed, never frozen, good size

freshly locally baked bun

fries from fresh Idaho spuds, fried in healthy oil, thick cut, more like English chips (also a Cajun spice option), large portion

as many "free" toppings as you like built into the basic burger cost

"free" peanuts, the best peanuts you have ever had

Premium price but value for money, definitely higher priced than In and Out but worth it

I have not tried Fatburgers so no comment on that one. I am not a big burger fan and I hate McD's and Burger King, but I would eat at a Five Guys every week or two if I lived near one.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote from me for the Bully's pub hamburgers...in their various versions... Best I've had in Thailand for the price...so far...

I've eaten at Fudruckers in the U.S., and those are fine... But as long as we're wish-listing here... folks from So. Cal. would know of a local chain there called Tommy's Burgers, where all the cooked to order burgers come with homemade meat-only chili (no beans), a think slice of beefsteak tomato and fresh sliced onions and pickles... They beat In-and-Out and the others hands down...

I just came back from a two-week visit back to the States, and indulged heartily... (got my burger fix there....) along with chili fries and chili-topped tamales.... Along with a healthy portion of the pickled green chilis... Am I making your mouth water yet???? :o PS - All Tommy's Burgers joints are 24 hours... It's a family owned chain that's been a fixture in Los Angeles for 60 years...

See the attached photo on their web site... And unlike other advertisements... this pretty much is exactly what the burgers they serve look like...

Sorry jfchandler:

While I agree that Tommy's beats out In 'n Out (most burger joints do), it is not the end-all of great burgers in L.A. Only the original Tommy's at Beverly and Rampart serves great burgers. The copycat Tommy's are mediocre. Fuddrucker's and Fatburger are much better.

The best burger joint in L.A. is Cassel's at 6th St. near Vermont. It's a cafeteria style hole-in-the-wall, that grinds its own prime beef. Many other restaurants buy their ground beef from Cassel's. The only downside is that they close at 3pm.

The best upscale hamburger in L.A. comes from Father's Office in Santa Monica on Montana near 10th Ave. In addition to great burgers and fries, they have an outstanding selection of crafted brews.

Sorry jfchandler:

While I agree that Tommy's beats out In 'n Out (most burger joints do), it is not the end-all of great burgers in L.A. Only the original Tommy's at Beverly and Rampart serves great burgers. The copycat Tommy's are mediocre. Fuddrucker's and Fatburger are much better.

The best burger joint in L.A. is Cassel's at 6th St. near Vermont. It's a cafeteria style hole-in-the-wall, that grinds its own prime beef. Many other restaurants buy their ground beef from Cassel's. The only downside is that they close at 3pm.

The best upscale hamburger in L.A. comes from Father's Office in Santa Monica on Montana near 10th Ave. In addition to great burgers and fries, they have an outstanding selection of crafted brews.

Hahahahaha.... OK.. I grew up and lived in the West Side for many years...before moving to the Valley to work for many years more... So..I know all of which you speak...

But..gotta disagree a bit.. I've had FatBurger's a couple times (Santa Monica and La Cienega) and not been overly impressed, to the point of it never being on my gotta return list... I mean...certainly a decent burger... But I like the makings of Tommy's better... even the replicas... Keep in mind, there are a lot of FAKE Tommy's ... (Tomi's and such...). But I've always found the real other locations to be pretty good..at least for my tastes... But then..I'm a chili and onions and chilis man....

Tommy's is horrible and cannot be called a burger, and the only reason I ever ate there was because it was open at 1 or 2 am when the other fast food joints were closed, the chilli is akin to rust remover. Always had the runs from eating at that place.

Edited by pampal

It may be worth visiting the Philippines for inspiration for a burger joint. It's a good excuse to visit anyway. Filipino food is generally nothing much to write home about, but they do have hundreds of great burger and/or pizza joints, Tex Mex, and some awesome/great value Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian etc. etc. US influence in Manila/Angeles very apparent.

The Filling Station in P'Burgos St (Makati, Metro Manila) is an absolute classic joint - 24 hour drinking and eating, quality pool tables (frequented by some big name players), retro fitout/decor, cute waitresses, always a bit of eye candy about, smoking and non-smoking sections, ambience galore.... Google it for some pics if interested. Big burgers, maybe not the best I've had but certainly very acceptable, but combined with everything else... If there was a similar place in BKK I'd go there often. Being smack centre in the the touristy red-light district, there's another 4-5 quality burger options within a stone's throw, and hundreds of others throughout Manila and elsewhere.

Also nearby is the Handlebar which does a great BBQ, and probably burgers etc, also decked out with Americana, motorbikes, and bikie memorabilia, glowing buffalo skulls, etc etc.

Then there's the more franchise/fast food places - quite a few of which, eg Brother's Burger and Hotshots Burger whip up a pretty mean burger, that would probably rival the best on offer in Thailand.

They also have some of the world's lamest burgers - Jollibee's is the main culprit, serving sloppy fibreless B-grade Maccas.

we definitely need a good burger place - which one i don't really care. A 24-7 place would be nice. A good sandwich restaurant would be nice too.

then why don't you try this place: <snip> but it's not 24/7.

The Triple O double double (White spot is pretty good) Central world...

Edited by raro
URL removed

Those pics are making me hungry. Red Robin here in the US does a great burger. Its a pretty big chain. The key to a great burger is they broil it not fry it like alot of places do. It gives it a real bbq taste. Fudruckers is a great chain also. You can select which toppings you want to put on your burger and they make the burgers in diffreent sizes. You can get a 1 lb burger if you want.

Red Robin sucks balls. They're more about marketing than good food. I went there several times with my parents and they always fuc_ked the orders up, sometimes catastrophically, food was more often than not subpar and I don't understand why my parents keep liking to go back.

Ok, rant over.

This place looks as if it has potential.

One I am going to try. Since I am a little put off my Great American Rib.

Roadhouse Suriwongse

I went to the Roadhouse for the first time a couple of weeks ago... It's right around the corner from Saladaeng BTS.. Just walk from Saladaeng down Soi Thaniya, then hang a right....

I thought, the atmosphere inside this place was great..... big tables... lots of polished wood... big windows for a view out onto the road.... pretty good serving staff (no working ladies in sight) and nice menu... They often have live music and a nice selection of drinks/beers. Several levels and pool tables upstairs for those who like that...

Unfortunately, I didn't go there for the burger at the time... I had a perfectly reasonable salad... But my lady friend had their fish and chips, which was a mess. The first fish dish came out with soggy, oil ladden fish...with a foul smell... maybe from old/bad oil... So... we complained to the waitress and they bought a new fish dish, only slightly better and fresher...

But, while there, I saw the next table having burgers and BBQ that looked pretty darn good... Based on the very nice setting inside, I'm planning to go back and have "real man" food next time. Hehehehehehe........