Volunteer Opportunity

emh1969

Saw an article in Tuesday's Chaing Mai Mail that might be of interest since I know the topic of volunteering comes up from time to time. This is a cross-cultural education project sponsored by the Chiang Mai Friends' group and supported by Chiang Mai municipality. Volunteers will spend a minimum of two hours a week with students 11-12 years old, assisting them with English conversation. Volunteers need either an ESL qualification or be recommended by the board of the Chiang Mai Friends' group.

Here's the good thing...special permission is being given by the Chiang Mai Municipality to enable volunteer teachers to work without the usual requirements of a work permit.

Contact person is Khun Boong

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw an article in Tuesday's Chaing Mai Mail that might be of interest since I know the topic of volunteering comes up from time to time. This is a cross-cultural education project sponsored by the Chiang Mai Friends' group and supported by Chiang Mai municipality. Volunteers will spend a minimum of two hours a week with students 11-12 years old, assisting them with English conversation. Volunteers need either an ESL qualification or be recommended by the board of the Chiang Mai Friends' group.

Here's the good thing...special permission is being given by the Chiang Mai Municipality to enable volunteer teachers to work without the usual requirements of a work permit.

Contact person is Khun Boong

Let's hope Srirachajohn doesn't see that one. We'll never hear the last of it. :o

They can over-ride Immigration Department regulations ? ?

In the case of volunteers working with children, requiring a work permit is probably not such a bad thing, in my view.

They can over-ride Immigration Department regulations ? ?

In the case of volunteers working with children, requiring a work permit is probably not such a bad thing, in my view.

Not Immigration, but the Labour Department. They are the ones concerned about work permits. In reality, the same thing happens more often without any one's special permission, and nothing ever happens to the 'workers'... :o

emh1969 Today, 2008-06-05 13:35:59 Post #1

Contact person is Khun Boong [email protected]

About the special permission is correct. I went this morning to their meeting at the CM Municipality Office, where also the Mayor attended.

They are looking for volunteers with ESL qualifications to teach the Municipality staff. 95 Staff members have signed up. Lessons will be held on Thursday (and Tuesday, if I rememebr well) afternoons from 2.30 to 4.30pm. This afternoon was the first lesson. Khun Boong can give you all the info you need.

Then, there is a need for volunteers who would like to teach 5th graders at 11 different Municipality schools. Qualification required are ESL instructor or approved by the Chiang Mai Friends Group committees.

Professor Paws - Humane education: Living Safely with Dogs - is part of the English teaching program at the schools. Soraya (Care for Dogs) and I (LuckyDogs) will start next Friday at one of these schools.

We need, however, more volunteers. If you are interested, please pm me or contact Soraya through Care for Dogs.

See for more info on the Professor Paws project: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=Professor+Paws

Nienke

Teaching English for staff

1. Background

At present, there is a large and growing number of English-speaking foreigners who would like to contribute to the Mayor’s policies and ideas to maintain and improve the quality of life in Chiang Mai. Most of them will not achieve the level of competence to communicate in Thai in order maximize their contribution. It is more reasonable to approach this matter by improving the English-speaking ability of the government staff and officials

2. Objectives

- Improve the English-speaking skill of the Mayor’s staff, emphasizing their particular role(s) and implementation of their program responsibilities.

- Facilitate, increase participation, and improve effectiveness of English-speaking foreigners in there participation in the Mayor’s program

- Employees with improved ESL skills will be able to teach other employees

3. Place : Chiang Mai Municipality Office (opposite the American consulate)

4. Duration

- Teaching periods will be adjusted to correspond to employees work schedules

- 2 Two – hour periods 1 times per week, every Thursday : 14.30-16.30 p.m.

5. Participating Institution

Chiang Mai Municipality

Chiang Mai Friends Group’s Expats volunteers

6. Procedure

- Primary emphasis will be placed on conversation

- Students must come to class with a notebook and be prepared to try to speak English on matters related to their jobs. Based on students’ speaking, teacher will provide an analysis of grammar, spelling, etc. for students to record and use for home study.

- Approximately 25% of time will be devoted to separate lessons on:

1. English grammar

2. Verbs and tenses

3. Manner of Expression, Thai vs. English

4. Idioms

7. Publication

Through Chiang Mai Friends Group’s net work and media

8. Budget

- Would appreciate compensation of Travel

- Nominal amount per student for helpful books

9. Project Leader

• Chiang Mai Municipality

• Chiang Mai Friends Group,

Ms. Duenpen Boong Chaladlam

Mr. Jerome Chmielak

Not Immigration, but the Labour Department. They are the ones concerned about work permits. In reality, the same thing happens more often without any one's special permission, and nothing ever happens to the 'workers'... :o

Quite correct on all counts, Ajarn.

I do think any work with kids should not be treated quite so casually.

I also think any foreigner should be aware of their legal posiition with regard to voluntary work.

Isn't it *interesting* that the WP requirement can be waived so easily, when the municipal officers are looking for free English classes :D ?

I guess the participants would be on retiree visas ?

We could start a list of "useful phrases" to teach here, such as

" No Work Permit ? No problem !"

"How may I assist you ? I am related to the Mayor and various other important local figures. Here is my cell phone number which you must not hesitate to call at any time, Most Esteemed Expat".

"Let me introduce you to the head of TOT. S/He would be honoured to receive your phone calls at any hour of the day or night."

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera ...

The city does not have money in the budget that could pay for English lessons? The people who are looking to teach English for a income will be real happy for volunteers to fill a potential workplace position I am sure??? With all the ongoing, upcoming, and new projects being proposed, English training for employees should be a rather inexpensive proposal. If work permit is not require there are probably several people who would be interested.

Not Immigration, but the Labour Department. They are the ones concerned about work permits. In reality, the same thing happens more often without any one's special permission, and nothing ever happens to the 'workers'... :D

I also think any foreigner should be aware of their legal posiition with regard to voluntary work.

Isn't it *interesting* that the WP requirement can be waived so easily, when the municipal officers are looking for free English classes :D ?

"How may I assist you ? I am related to the Mayor and various other important local figures. Here is my cell phone number which you must not hesitate to call at any time, Most Esteemed Expat".

"Let me introduce you to the head of TOT. S/He would be honoured to receive your phone calls at any hour of the day or night."

Well ... one can also look at it this way .... IMHO, it's a VERY SAD and extremely negative way of looking at it. :o

The city does not have money in the budget that could pay for English lessons? The people who are looking to teach English for a income will be real happy for volunteers to fill a potential workplace position I am sure??? With all the ongoing, upcoming, and new projects being proposed, English training for employees should be a rather inexpensive proposal. If work permit is not require there are probably several people who would be interested.

If the interest is there, but only the required WP is the problem, then with the special permit that problem is solved. :o

Well ... one can also look at it this way .... IMHO, it's a VERY SAD and extremely negative way of looking at it. :D

For the most part, I just find it funny.

But there are a few fairly serious issues that this raises.

1. How about all the other highly deserving voluntary projects not being extended this special dispensation ? Many of the people who do volunteer work are aware they won't be offered a work permit, let alone a waiver. The general concensus about that seems to be that it won't be a problem. However, if someone fell into other difficulties here (not necessarily of their own making), the charge of working illegally could possibly be used against them.

2. Volunteers do need to be monitored in some way. The work permit is one way (not to say there may not be better ones; it does seem to have become an unnecessary obstacle to many). When children are involved, extra caution should be exercised. I don't think anyone needs the reasons spelt out.

3. As slapout suggests, why can professionals not be employed for this training ? There's really not enough money for that ? What do professional trainers and teachers have to say about the notion that virtually anyone can do their job ? Who exactly are Chiang Mai Friends Commitee, with the sudden power to approve people to teach :o ? Will computer technicians, plumbers, mechanics et al be lining up to offer their services gratis :D , too ?

Sorry if I seem harsh, but these are all very obvious points, and I could see these well-intentioned projects run into problems if not addressed.

Not Immigration, but the Labour Department. They are the ones concerned about work permits. In reality, the same thing happens more often without any one's special permission, and nothing ever happens to the 'workers'... :D

Well ... one can also look at it this way .... IMHO, it's a VERY SAD and extremely negative way of looking at it. :o

Agreed, Nienke.

Is it just me, or have other TVers noticed that whenever some useful topic is posted, some prat is sure to post some totally negative drivel puting them down! (what's being related to the Mayor, or knowing the head of TOT got to do with it? Nobody supporting this volunteering scheme has mentioned them.)

If the interest is there, but only the required WP is the problem, then with the special permit that problem is solved. :o

By any chance can we see a scanned copy of this "special permit" that is issued by a government official for a matter over which he has no authority?

By any chance can we see a scanned copy of this "special permit" that is issued by a government official for a matter over which he has no authority?

Could of guessed......

Well ... one can also look at it this way .... IMHO, it's a VERY SAD and extremely negative way of looking at it. :D

For the most part, I just find it funny.

But there are a few fairly serious issues that this raises.

1. How about all the other highly deserving voluntary projects not being extended this special dispensation ? Many of the people who do volunteer work are aware they won't be offered a work permit, let alone a waiver. The general concensus about that seems to be that it won't be a problem. However, if someone fell into other difficulties here (not necessarily of their own making), the charge of working illegally could possibly be used against them.

2. Volunteers do need to be monitored in some way. The work permit is one way (not to say there may not be better ones; it does seem to have become an unnecessary obstacle to many). When children are involved, extra caution should be exercised. I don't think anyone needs the reasons spelt out.

3. As slapout suggests, why can professionals not be employed for this training ? There's really not enough money for that ? What do professional trainers and teachers have to say about the notion that virtually anyone can do their job ? Who exactly are Chiang Mai Friends Commitee, with the sudden power to approve people to teach :o ? Will computer technicians, plumbers, mechanics et al be lining up to offer their services gratis :D , too ?

Sorry if I seem harsh, but these are all very obvious points, and I could see these well-intentioned projects run into problems if not addressed.

All of your points are valid and in the end, it's a program that has not been sanctioned by the Labour Ministry who has control of work permits.

I had the mayor of our town's blessing to volunteer teach, but I stopped anyway when I understood the ramifications for violating the law and fully realizing that our mayor does not run the Labour Ministry and was not in a position to "authorize" me to work without a work permit.

john, as I understand this thread, it is not a special permit, but a waiver, by the office of the mayor of Chiang Mai, who is a nice lady. I am as puzzled as the next person, but for all I know, a city mayor might have an authority to waive Ministry of Labour legal requirements. Maybe the mayor's office can unquestionably, unequivocally, guarantee and explain that part of Thai Labour Law, in which case I would volunteer to teach.

Other than the simple fact that there are always naysayers and doubters to any proposed good work, it is hardly asking too much for an officer of the government to sign their name in blood that the farangs will not be deported for working without a permit, promising to deport herself or spend the farang's time in jail if her promise is found to be false.

In fact, the mayor has been mentioned more than once in connection with the project. Largely, though, I was simply being facetious. If seeing the absurdity and humour in teachers of the municipal officers' free English classes being offered "exemption" from work permits by that very authority makes me a "prat", then I will bear the title with honour :o .

But really, labelling anyone who makes critical comment "sad", "negative" and a "prat" will hardly do much to advance your cause.

How about simply addressing the issues I have raised ?

Edited by sylviex

About the special permission is correct. I went this morning to their meeting at the CM Municipality Office, where also the Mayor attended.

They are looking for volunteers with ESL qualifications to teach the Municipality staff. 95 Staff members have signed up. We need, however, more volunteers. If you are interested, please pm me or contact Soraya through Care for Dogs.

See for more info on the Professor Paws project: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=Professor+Paws

john, as I understand this thread, it is not a special permit, but a waiver, by the office of the mayor of Chiang Mai, who is a nice lady. I am as puzzled as the next person, but for all I know, a city mayor might have an authority to waive Ministry of Labour legal requirements. Maybe the mayor's office can unquestionably, unequivocally, guarantee and explain that part of Thai Labour Law, in which case I would volunteer to teach.

Other than the simple fact that there are always naysayers and doubters to any proposed good work, it is hardly asking too much for an officer of the government to sign their name in blood that the farangs will not be deported for working without a permit, promising to deport herself or spend the farang's time in jail if her promise is found to be false.

And as such, until such time that something is provided in a formal manner and written documentation of the exemption or waiver or special permit or whatever they are calling it this week is produced, this thread is merely a solicitation on thaivisa to do illegal work.... for which the forum may not wish to put itself in the position of promoting.

Edited by sriracha john

They are looking for volunteers with ESL qualifications to teach the Municipality staff. 95 Staff members have signed up. We need, however, more volunteers. If you are interested, please pm me or contact Soraya through Care for Dogs.

And as such, until such time that something is provided in a formal manner and written documentation of the exemption or waiver or special permit or whatever they are calling it this week is produced, this thread is merely a solicitation on thaivisa to do illegal work.... for which the forum may not wish to put itself in the position of promoting.

Sheesh, I hardly expected such a firestorm from starting this thread. I was just trying to pass along some potentially useful information. And calling this thread a "solicition on thaivisa to do illegal work" is a bit much. There have been plenty of prior threads on thaivisa discussing potential volunteer opportunities.

Sheesh, I hardly expected such a firestorm from starting this thread. I was just trying to pass along some potentially useful information. And calling this thread a "solicition on thaivisa to do illegal work" is a bit much. There have been plenty of prior threads on thaivisa discussing potential volunteer opportunities.

No firestorm... just pointing out the reality and the legalities.

It is the archaic work permit issue itself that generates its inclusion in any topic involving volunteerism.

And as such it has been discussed in many other threads, not only this one. Until such time as the situation is resolved (I'm not holding my breath for that), I don't see how it can be viewed as something other than "solicitation on thaivisa to do illegal work"

Edited by sriracha john

Its for volunteers, to help kids that otherwise wouldn't get this help...... Why not come to this forum and say something like:

'I'm not going to work without a permit, however for you that do good luck to you and well done for giving your time to those that need it' rather than getting on your usual tracks of trying to put this down too... like the police volunteers.

You really are a twa-t

Go home...............................

As a new member, perhaps you may wish to review the forum rules regarding flaming.

but other than saying I am home, I'll let it slide.

Don't confuse my comments with voicing negativity about the altruistic nature of volunteers. It is not about that.

I was a volunteer myself. For years. Until I learned how much jeopardy I was placing myself in by doing the exact same thing as this thread talks about.

No firestorm... just pointing out the reality and the legalities.

It is the archaic work permit issue itself that generates its inclusion in any topic involving volunteerism.

And as such it has been discussed in many other threads, not only this one. Until such time as the situation is resolved (I'm not holding my breath for that), I don't see how it can be viewed as something other than "solicitation on thaivisa to do illegal work"

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG :o you got him started now LOL

Sheesh, I hardly expected such a firestorm from starting this thread. I was just trying to pass along some potentially useful information.

It's a very interesting discussion, and most of us have been civil :o .

The precedent would be extraordinary, if the "exemption" claims were correct.

And calling this thread a "solicition on thaivisa to do illegal work" is a bit much. There have been plenty of prior threads on thaivisa discussing potential volunteer opportunities.

All of which would have been illegal without work permits.

In this case, the volunteers might also have an illusory idea that their status is nonetheless legal.

Its for volunteers, to help kids that otherwise wouldn't get this help...... Why not come to this forum and say something like:

'I'm not going to work without a permit, however for you that do good luck to you and well done for giving your time to those that need it' rather than getting on your usual tracks of trying to put this down too... like the police volunteers.

You really are a twa-t

As a new member, perhaps you may wish to review the forum rules regarding flaming.

Don't confuse my comments with voicing negativity about the altruistic nature of volunteers. It is not about that.

I was a volunteer myself. For years. Until I learned how much jeopardy I was placing myself in by doing the exact same thing as this thread talks about.

Fair enough.... But like i said why do you have to turn this thread into a discussion about the laws and what can and cant be done?

It didn't start of that way, the title wasn't 'Can I volunteer here' it was advertising an opportunity.

SO as I said last I believe a reply along the lines of I'm not going to work without a permit, however for you that do good luck to you and well done for giving your time to those that need it' would of been more suited.

Let's hope Srirachajohn doesn't see that one. We'll never hear the last of it. :o (Kevin HUNT)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG :D you got him started now (Farang Cravings)

Enough Said

Sheesh, I hardly expected such a firestorm from starting this thread. I was just trying to pass along some potentially useful information.

It's a very interesting discussion, and most of us have been civil :o .

And calling this thread a "solicition on thaivisa to do illegal work" is a bit much. There have been plenty of prior threads on thaivisa discussing potential volunteer opportunities.

In this case, the volunteers might also have an illusory idea that their status is nonetheless legal.

Indeed, throughout countless threads on a wide range of volunteer activities, not one has ever produced the required exemption.

It's a very interesting discussion, and most of us have been civil :D .

Any discussion of which always seems to degenerate into a straw man argument, with the rationalizers claiming that those who question these alleged work permit exemptions want to denigrate volunteering, promote crime in the streets, starve the children, etc. Even if nothing ever gets decided definitively on this exemption issue, it's always entertaining. :o

< flame snipped >

Fair enough.... But like i said why do you have to turn this thread into a discussion about the laws and what can and cant be done?

It didn't start of that way, the title wasn't 'Can I volunteer here' it was advertising an opportunity.

SO as I said last I believe a reply along the lines of I'm not going to work without a permit, however for you that do good luck to you and well done for giving your time to those that need it' would of been more suited.

I think it's important that people realize what the archaic laws state and what the ramifications are for violating them. When I volunteered I was completely unaware of the illegal nature of the work I was doing.

Obviously through this thread and other similar threads there are many others who still are unaware of these important factors.

I've previously stated in other threads something akin to what you post above, but in hindsight, I realize that was wrong and it's something I won't do again as it's rather deceptive and condones the archaic law indirectly.

Those protesting my protestations should consider expending efforts efforts to rectify the law itself. Push the mayor or whomever is allegedly, albeit wrongly, authorizing this work to push for a work permit exemption letter or some other decree or ruling from the Labour Ministry.

Edited by sriracha john

Let's hope Srirachajohn doesn't see that one. We'll never hear the last of it. :o (Kevin HUNT)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG :D you got him started now (Farang Cravings)

Enough Said

Yes... best to gloss over the volunteer police's shortcomings on this issue as well.

< flame snipped >

I think it's important that people realize what the archaic laws state and what the ramifications are for violating them. When I volunteered I was completely unaware of the illegal nature of the work I was doing.

Obviously through this thread and other similar threads there are many others who still are unaware of these important factors.

I've previously stated in other threads something akin to what you post above, but in hindsight, I realize that was wrong and it's something I won't do again as it's rather deceptive and condones the archaic law indirectly.

Those protesting my protestations should consider expending efforts efforts to rectify the law itself. Push the mayor or whomever is allegedly, albeit wrongly, authorizing this work to push for a work permit exemption letter or some other decree or ruling from the Labour Ministry.

Over time I'm sure many have tried and many have failed.... TIT

I do understand your point, In my opinion any volunteer work (without pay) should be exempt... Obviously any paid position should require. But again TIT