International Driving Permits?

Thanks, folks. Let's assume that I would never pass the depth perception and peripheral visions tests, and there's no sense in trying to pass them (and risk getting blacklisted for failure). So, I've got a license from the States, and can get an IDP. I never have gotten stopped in 22,000 km, but there's always a first time. So, am I reasonably safe with an IDP even though I'm living and working in Thailand on a non-imm B visa?

Thanks, folks.  Let's assume that I would never pass the depth perception and peripheral visions tests, and there's no sense in trying to pass them (and risk  getting blacklisted for failure).  So, I've got a license from the States, and can get an IDP.  I never have gotten stopped in 22,000 km, but there's always a first time.  So, am I reasonably safe with an IDP even though I'm living and working in Thailand on a non-imm B visa?

In most countries IDP is not valid for more than 30-90 days (normal tourist stay). Have not seen any information for Thailand but believe most insurance policies 'could' refuse you payment if you do not have a Thai license (rental companies are probably exempt from that requirement). You might be better trying to get a local license - you might pass if you smile a lot and seriously doubt you would be blacklisted. :o

Thanks, folks.  Let's assume that I would never pass the depth perception and peripheral visions tests, and there's no sense in trying to pass them (and risk   getting blacklisted for failure).  So, I've got a license from the States, and can get an IDP.  I never have gotten stopped in 22,000 km, but there's always a first time.  So, am I reasonably safe with an IDP even though I'm living and working in Thailand on a non-imm B visa?

In most countries IDP is not valid for more than 30-90 days (normal tourist stay). Have not seen any information for Thailand but believe most insurance policies 'could' refuse you payment if you do not have a Thai license (rental companies are probably exempt from that requirement). You might be better trying to get a local license - you might pass if you smile a lot and seriously doubt you would be blacklisted. :o

Your advice on insurance is valid Lop. A local license is a breeze with a US license and IDP

Thanks, folks.  Let's assume that I would never pass the depth perception and peripheral visions tests, and there's no sense in trying to pass them (and risk   getting blacklisted for failure).  So, I've got a license from the States, and can get an IDP.  I never have gotten stopped in 22,000 km, but there's always a first time.  So, am I reasonably safe with an IDP even though I'm living and working in Thailand on a non-imm B visa?

In my car policy, it clearly states that you must have a Thai driving license...

:D I just got my Thai car drivers licence yesterday. In Pattaya, at least, getting the licence seems to be no problem - apart from getting to the licencing office, which is in the middle of nowhere!

I obtained a letter from Immigration, certifying my address. Applied for this and received it the next day - no charge.

I obtained a medical certificate, for driving fitness, from a local clinic. 100 Baht, no examination, got it on the spot.

I have a full UK driving licence - just the paper variety, not a photocard.

I have an IDP, issued by the RAC in the UK - valied until March 2005, only.

Made copies of everything and went to the licencing office. Upstairs, window 5, to obtain application forms. Went back outside and across the road to one of the shophouses, where a nice lady filled out the forms for me and took the necessary two photographs (those that I had brought with me were the wrong size). Charge for all this was 100 Baht, only.

Went back into the office and handed forms in to window 3 (or 4). Had on the spot colour blindness test - OK. Was then directed 'inside' where I had to do a depth perception test, a reaction speed test and a peripheral vision test. Only problem was with the peripheral test, as the rudimentary equipment is not designed to cope with spectacle wearers and the red, green, yellow lights are very dim. Passed on second try.

Back to window 3 (4) to pay fee of 105 Baht.

Waited about 45 minutes and was then called to window 5 to collect licence. Back over the road to get licence laminated - 20 Baht. Nice lady even called for a taxi to get me back to Pattaya.

Job done! Can now drive legally anywhere in Thailand for 1 year. Just need to learn to drive like a Thai - point car, accelerate and pray to Buddha. :o

:D I just got my Thai car drivers licence yesterday.  In Pattaya, at least, getting the licence seems to be no problem - apart from getting to the licencing office, which is in the middle of nowhere!

I obtained a letter from Immigration, certifying my address.  Applied for this and received it the next day - no charge.

I obtained a medical certificate, for driving fitness, from a local clinic.  100 Baht, no examination, got it on the spot.

I have a full UK driving licence - just the paper variety, not a photocard.

I have an IDP, issued by the RAC in the UK - valied until March 2005, only.

Made copies of everything and went to the licencing office.  Upstairs, window 5, to obtain application forms.  Went back outside and across the road to one of the shophouses, where a nice lady filled out the forms for me and took the necessary two photographs (those that I had brought with me were the wrong size).  Charge for all this was 100 Baht, only.

Went back into the office and handed forms in to window 3 (or 4).  Had on the spot colour blindness test - OK.  Was then directed 'inside' where I had to do a depth perception test, a reaction speed test and a peripheral vision test.  Only problem was with the peripheral test, as the rudimentary equipment is not designed to cope with spectacle wearers and the red, green, yellow lights are very dim.  Passed on second try.

Back to window 3 (4) to pay fee of 105 Baht.

Waited about 45 minutes and was then called to window 5 to collect licence.  Back over the road to get licence laminated - 20 Baht.  Nice lady even called for a taxi to get me back to Pattaya.

Job done!  Can now drive legally anywhere in Thailand for 1 year.  Just need to learn to drive like a Thai - point car, accelerate and pray to Buddha. :o

and next year you can get a 5 year license

Congratulations doctorman and this is exactly as it is. No hassle, usually friendly and fast. When you come back after one year you should get automatically a new Thai licence for 5 years.

It did it for years at Bangkok Transport Office Area 3, only difference, they do have a counter at the entrance where some staff will fill in the forms for you. Ask (sometimes not) for 5 Baht.

Since the ruling changed last year and 5-years-licences are issued upon extention after one year, they told me 'I give you 5 years'.

One point I believe, you forgot to mention, you as well have to show your passport resp. photocopy your non-imm visa or extension.

Good luck for driving. No need to pray, the rules are clear, the bigger vehicle has got the right of way but as well always asked to pay. :o

One point I believe, you forgot to mention, you as well have to show your passport resp. photocopy your non-imm visa or extension.

You're quite right Axel, you do need to show your passport, with non-immigrant visa, at the licencing office. You also need photocopies of all the relevant passport pages - personal details, visa page, entry stamp page and entry card. I adjusted the copy sizes here so that everything fitted on one A4 sheet. Need to be good quality copies, by the way, as some of the print is quite small. Likewise, copies of the other documents.

You also need passport and copies when getting your letter from immigration in the first place so make multiple copies of everything.

Good luck for driving. No need to pray, the rules are clear, the bigger vehicle has got the right of way but as well always asked to pay.

You sure you're right about the bigger vehicle having right of way? It seems to me that the motorcycle taxi is king - at least in Pattaya. Wouldn't want to mix it with a cement truck though!

You sure you're right about the bigger vehicle having right of way? It seems to me that the motorcycle taxi is king - at least in Pattaya

That sounds more like an issue of cajones size, rather than vehicle size :o

Generally, Might is Right makes sense, if you think about it..

On a motorcycle, when cpmpared to a car, you have better visibility,manouverabilty, braking, acceleration... Thereby, in many cases, better equipped to see and avoid danger before the larger vehicle can. Plus, if you hit the car on a bike, you're likely to receive more injury/damage than the car. It makes perfect sense that the motorcycle should kriengjai the car, for the safety of all concerned....

The exact same same scenario can be said for pedestrian vs bike, car vs truck, etc, etc.... Might is Right is right. :D

Edited by Ajarn