Best Visa?

Like a few recent postings, I would be grateful if someone could offer me advice perculiar to my situation.

Currently I have a non immigrant "B" Visa which will expire in April next year.

The company I had closed about six months ago.

I have since married a Thai Lady.

I am about to go into Partnership with an established company based in Thailand so my question is this. When I need to re-apply for a Visa am I better off going for a "Married to a Thai" Visa or a "Business Visa"? If I had the former would I be right in thinking that I would not have to leave the country every three months as I currently do and could I change the Visa here instead of having top go back home. If the answer is the former what do I do next and where do I go?

I would be very grateful if someone with an in depth knowledge of such things (I know there are many of you) could point me in the right direction.

Thank You in anticipation

TP

As Sunbelt says the support Thai wife would be the best for most people (unless you plan to change wives faster than jobs). :o

You can do this at a local immigration office but it will be sent to Bangkok for final approval so you have to make extra copies of everything. To change your visa to O can be done but may require a visit to Bangkok or a visit to a Consulate. You will need money as Pat said. And you have to do this process with your wife as she will have to be interviewed and provide information. Her id card and home register will also be required as well as marriage certificate. Also photos together will probably be requested.

Go for the married visa.

I presume your current B was related to Work Permit, and should have been cancelled when the work permit expired, along with the company. :o

By getting the "O" visa based on marriage you get away from the link to the work permit and can stay on even if your future work plans do not pan out as you expected.

You can, of course still get a work permit when you require it.

He says leaving country every 90 days so don't believe his visa is tied to his last job.

Go for the married visa.

I presume your current B was related to Work Permit, and should have been cancelled when the work permit expired, along with the company. :o

By getting the "O" visa based on marriage you get away from the link to the work permit and can stay on even if your future work plans do not pan out as you expected.

You can, of course still get a work permit when you require it.

He says leaving country every 90 days so don't believe his visa is tied to his last job.

True Lop, but now he is married his options are greater,

with a lump sum or a steady income he can get the one year extension

quite easily, if he wants to.

Edited by astral

Thanks everybody fotr your postings.They have been very helpful.

As for the point questioned with regard to me handing in my Visa when I gave back my work permit, I was told that if a Visa is issued outside of the Kingdom it does not have to be surrenderd before expiry. (I paid for this information-so it had better be correct :o) I have left the country since I surrenderd the WP and I have never been asked to produce it.

I have made up my mind that I will apply for the married Visa,

thanks to you all.

TP