American Teacher Falls To Death From Condominium's Rooftop

george

American teacher falls to death from condominium's rooftop

BANGKOK: -- An American teacher fell from the rooftop of a condominium in Bangkok's Bang Na area and was killed early Friday morning, police said.

Police said Michelle Rere Stillwell, 32, fell from the rooftop of the Parkland Building 9 at 5:40 am.

Police found one of her shoes on the rooftop and found an empty bottle of wine and a nearly empty bottle of whisky in her room.

Police suspected that the woman was walking on the rooftop and accidentally fell because she was drunk.

She taught English at the Thai-Chinese International School in Samut Prakan's Bangplee area.

-- The Nation 2008-06-06

Police suspected that the woman was walking on the rooftop and accidentally fell because she was drunk.

The Pattaya BiB would have had this down to suicide in a nanosecond. The Bangkok boys obviously have not had the same training.

RIP so young too. :o

well, sorry for her relatives, friends and colleagues... strange those days it's a real rush for "falling to ones death"...on shoe on the roof is proof... and 2 empty bottles... have to get rid of all those empty bottles in my household...

to many Suicide's in thailand, is there a support group anywhere here for UK and US people? and also not forget the other countries ... as most of the time is it a cry for help, but as an expat here there seems to be no help?, IE with the UK, if you are sick or suicidele, the govermet will help you , but overseas they do not

to many Suicide's in thailand, is there a support group anywhere here for UK and US people? and also not forget the other countries ... as most of the time is it a cry for help, but as an expat here there seems to be no help?, IE with the UK, if you are sick or suicidele, the govermet will help you , but overseas they do not

No, not the government, it is the NHS that have options available through CR teams, Out of Hours Mental Health Teams (sadly the government cut backs have made a big impact on the effectivness of these) and A&E (Last resort, but they can get access to the Psych teams available). There are also things such as Samaritans and other volunteer groups that do excellent work as well in helping people in crisis.

There is no evidence to suggest this was a suicide.

it is the NHS that have options available

trying to jump through the hoops and penetrate the shield of bureaucracy , targets and political correctness that the nhs have erected would be more than enough to push anybody feeling mildly suicidal straight over the edge and into the chasm.

trying to jump through the hoops and penetrate the shield of bureaucracy , targets and political correctness that the nhs have erected would be more than enough to push anybody feeling mildly suicidal straight over the edge and into the chasm.

Whilst I'd agree with you on some of the points, sadly it has been the governments cutbacks and legislation on funding along with the inepetude of "mismangement" that have prevented the easy and open access that is required. I can only speak from the area that I worked in (5 years ago), but it was given "Gold Standard" for the out of hours service that was provided. Sadly, from my understanding the extended service that was provided has now been cut. :o:D

In my room (high up) there is an almost empty bottle of tomato ketchup. It does not follow that I have just scoffed it. Why don't the incompetent amateurish cops wait for an alcohol blood measurement before passing judgement. Carrying out an investigation on a suspicious death might also be a good idea.

But they would rather just stick to creaming thousands every week off the illegal lottery, etc. Much easier and much more lucrative.

You're on your own in this country.

My condolences to friends, family and colleagues.

I've been here more or less since the great flood but have never heard of a branch of "Good Samaritans" or other such organization to help when others are depressed or ???

Does anyone know of such an organization? Of course some of these are organized through churches or other religius organizations and the like. I'd suggest that an organization of willing helpers just prepared to listen and offer a friendly word may in order but it would need to be non-denominational.

I would happily have my number published under any scheme that could offer help.

Anyone else?

AjarnP

There is no evidence to support a suicide, some have said.

But is there evidence to support foul play????

Sad to say but sometimes ppl do kill themselves accidentally. Alcohol and depression is not a good mix, it sinks you lower. Add the impaired judgement from being under the influence, it can easily become a very fatal lapse of judgement.

Back home it would be classified as Death By Misadventure.

American teacher falls to death from condominium's rooftop

BANGKOK: -- An American teacher fell from the rooftop of a condominium in Bangkok's Bang Na area and was killed early Friday morning, police said.

Police said Michelle Rere Stillwell, 32, fell from the rooftop of the Parkland Building 9 at 5:40 am.

Police found one of her shoes on the rooftop and found an empty bottle of wine and a nearly empty bottle of whisky in her room.

She taught English at the Thai-Chinese International School in Samut Prakan's Bangplee area.

-- The Nation 2008-06-06

Is it me or does this not seem to happen too frequently here in Thailand?

Can anyone come up with some statistics of countrywide deaths from "falling", from highrise apartments or hotels?

Had a childhood friend in bangkok about fifteen years ago who "fell" from a 10th floor hotel, survived, but he's blind and handicapped. My feeling is he didn't pay, or it had something to do with drugs, and some people threw him off.

Cops told his mother he jumped on his own, happy go lucky traveler decided to fly..........sure....

RIP to those who knew this lady, sorry it happened, same for the lady in Phuket.

My condolences to friends, family and colleagues.

I've been here more or less since the great flood but have never heard of a branch of "Good Samaritans" or other such organization to help when others are depressed or ???

Does anyone know of such an organization? Of course some of these are organized through churches or other religius organizations and the like. I'd suggest that an organization of willing helpers just prepared to listen and offer a friendly word may in order but it would need to be non-denominational.

I would happily have my number published under any scheme that could offer help.

Anyone else?

AjarnP

My condolences to Michelle's family and friends - how tragic and so very young. RIP.

I believe my Thai neighbour volunteers for The Samaritans one evening a week. I will try and find out more info.

Andiamo

Edited by Andiamo

Hi, I work as a school counselor at an international school in Thailand. I do know that there is a 24 hour Samaritan helpline in Bangkok, which I guess applies to all of Thailand and I also have contacts for English speaking (farang) counselors and psychologists in Bangkok. There are quite good services available, I guess they are just not as commmonly known as they should be amongst the farang crowd (maybe due to lack of advertising). It's weird that to this day I wouldn't know how to call for an ambulance or how to call the police and I lived here for 2 years!

If anyone would like to get information, you can send me a private message.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit the previous post. If the moderators of ThaiVisa would like to create a permanent link for Community resources such as emergency phone numbers, helplines and support services for farang, please send me a message. I am happy to share the resources that I keep for my work.

Samaritans of Thailand

P.O. Box 63

Por Nor For Santisuk

BANGKOK

Contact by: Face to Face - Phone - Letter - Email

Helpline 1: (02) 713-6793 (Thai service 12:00-22:00)

Helpline 2: (02) 713-6791 (English service 24 hour)

Email Helpline: [email protected]

Opening hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 12:00 - 22:00

Whilst I'd agree with you on some of the points, sadly it has been the governments cutbacks and legislation on funding along with the inepetude of "mismangement" that have prevented the easy and open access that is required. I can only speak from the area that I worked in (5 years ago), but it was given "Gold Standard" for the out of hours service that was provided. Sadly, from my understanding the extended service that was provided has now been cut. :o:D

Its now called care in the community in other words get your tranks from the doctor and extra cash from DSS and live in a council flat until you cant take it anymore and go on a breakdown then get sectionend rule 28 for a month or until they find you another council flat

(or send you on a TEFL course and pack you off to Thailand )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

only joking about the TEFL :D