Extension Of Stay In The Provinces

I need to get my extension of stay based on employment sorted out next week; current extension expires on 14th. My secretary is adamant that we need to do it in the 'local' office rather than in Bangkok. Unfortunately the designated 'local' immigration office for Prachinburi is in Aranyaprathet which is at least twice as far from our place as the Bangkok central immigration office.

She told me that last year when she went to get the stamp the officer told her that she should be sorting it out in Aranyaprathet but that she was letting her off with it this time, and I guess that she fears further reprimand or confrontation.

She also tells me that I have to accompany her to make the application, in which case I would rather spend the morning sorting it out in Bkk than spend the whole day trying to sort it out in Aranyaprathet.

I say 'trying to sort it out in Aranya' because when I recently got a new passport and went to the One-stop visa/wp center in Ladprao they told me that they couldnt transfer the stamp to my new passport because the origanl work had been carried out at Suan Plu. So i can imagine pitching up in Aranya only to be told to go to Suan Plu.

Anyone know the score on this issue?

I'm not aware that there are designated areas for immigration offices and you have to go there. In my province there is no immigration office, so I always go to Mae Sod as they know me there. Other teachers at my school go to Chiang Mai and have their papers sorted out there without any problem. Never heard we should go to one particulair immigration office.

I need to get my extension of stay based on employment sorted out next week; current extension expires on 14th. My secretary is adamant that we need to do it in the 'local' office rather than in Bangkok. Unfortunately the designated 'local' immigration office for Prachinburi is in Aranyaprathet which is at least twice as far from our place as the Bangkok central immigration office.

She told me that last year when she went to get the stamp the officer told her that she should be sorting it out in Aranyaprathet but that she was letting her off with it this time, and I guess that she fears further reprimand or confrontation.

She also tells me that I have to accompany her to make the application, in which case I would rather spend the morning sorting it out in Bkk than spend the whole day trying to sort it out in Aranyaprathet.

I say 'trying to sort it out in Aranya' because when I recently got a new passport and went to the One-stop visa/wp center in Ladprao they told me that they couldnt transfer the stamp to my new passport because the origanl work had been carried out at Suan Plu. So i can imagine pitching up in Aranya only to be told to go to Suan Plu.

Anyone know the score on this issue?

You should really check with immigration at Aran to see if your file from earlier extensions has been transferred there, if not, wasted trip.  

BTW, you must have one hel_l of a driver!  My wife's from Sakeo, I figure Prachin to Kabin at 45 minutes, another 45 to Sakeo, 30 perhaps to Aran, total two hours from Klong 10 on Hwy 305.

From Klong 10 to Suan Plu, if I drive, is about 1 hr 15 min, if there was parking, normally not so wander around a bit looking for such which brings things up to close to two hours, plus the frustrations of driving in that area.  Alternatively, I sometimes park down Sukumvit way, Skytrain to Asoke, change to Subway  to Lumpini station, #62 bus, if it's handy, to Immigration, or taxi if not.  Still two hours or plus.

Anyway, phone Aran to check location of your files.

Mac

Thanks for the replies.

As I understand it there are command areas for every immigration center and Prachinburi falls under Aranyaprathet office. However as Thanyaburimac points out with the highly evolved system in operation it will depend on where the mountain of paper associated with you is held and chances are mine has never left Suan Plu regardless of the stroppy officers assertion to the secretary or the 'expectation' suggested by Lopburi3.

I am in Ban Sang district which is close to Chachoengsao and probably about 100km to Suan Plu on decent roads but about 180km from Aranya via crap roads (or they were the last time I was on them).

I'll ask the secretary to call them on Monday.

"I'll ask the secretary to call them on Monday"

why dont you call them, dont sound like you take on board or trust what she says anyway?

"My secretary is adamant"

"She told me"

"she fears further reprimand"

"She also tells me"

we used to call this "it wasnt me twas the other three"

chris

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what happened.

I called the Aranyaprathet office, they said

'Yes, come here to apply, we will arrange for your file to be sent from Bkk during the 30 day consideration period'.

So we went, submitted the application stuff and the officer said

'we need action photos of you at work, at the front gate and some other nice pictures and a map, and your secretary has to stamp all the pages with our official stamp so that it looks like you signed the forms within the stamp',

we said (in a friendly manner)

'but that's only for initial application, not for extension, you can have a look at the ones in the file that you're going to send for',

they said

'get stamping, and come back tomorrow with the photos'

So we went again the next day, waited 4 hours for somebody important to initial the stamp during which time they dealt with another couple of people. Finally got the 30 day consideration stamp and fortunately do not have to go personally to get the extension stamp.

It's a long journey, especially if you have to do it twice, but the roads are ok now and the scenery is better than Bkk. It also doesn't stink like Suan Plu and while the staff are less miserable looking they are ignorant or maybe wasting peoples time is what passes for comedy with them.